A prerelease/demo?

king Oosterveld

Chieftain
considering we all want to play the Gods and Kings expansion as soon as possible and there are still bugs being fixed by 2K, how about a prerelease/demo DLC for bug testing? we'd get to play a small portion of the expansion, maybe one of the new civilizations. since there would be a much larger crowd testing the expansion, more bugs and reasons for the bugs would be discovered and fixed, therefore causing an earlier release to the Gods and Kings expanison pack. thoughts?

A downloadable demo would be a cool hype-builder, but I don't think it would be DLC.

at least I don't think that anyone would pay $5 for it unless it would be discounted from the $30 that the final product costs.

How can a demo be DLC? What you are talking about is a open beta and nothing more.
The only reason open beta exists nowdays are for server structur testing and mmorpg game hypeing.
i know it is an open beta, i played the BF3 open beta and see your point. however, minecraft had something very similar to what i am talking about, and it worked perfectly. i also think there will be some multiplayer improvement in G&K
A downloadable demo would be a cool hype-builder, but I don't think it would be DLC.

at least I don't think that anyone would pay $5 for it unless it would be discounted from the $30 that the final product costs.

it would be a free 1 week trial or something. and i dont think it would be DLC either, i just dont know any other way of getting it other that DLC and buying a disc with the content.

IIRC there was a free trial of the vanilla Civ V that let you play 100 turns or something that came out with the US release which was a week or so before the European release.

They could do it again, I suppose. It would have to be a stand-alone program or perhaps packaged as a scenario DLC for free.

IIRC there was a free trial of the vanilla Civ V that let you play 100 turns or something that came out with the US release which was a week or so before the European release.

They could do it again, I suppose. It would have to be a stand-alone program or perhaps packaged as a scenario DLC for free.

IIRC? what? but yes, thats what i mean- a 100 turn demo

I highly doubt there'd be a demo, at least not one before release. It's a different situation from vanilla release, because people are already aware of what the game is basically like, and can purchase vanilla to find out if they don't.

I highly doubt there'd be a demo, at least not one before release. It's a different situation from vanilla release, because people are already aware of what the game is basically like, and can purchase vanilla to find out if they don't.

Yes, I only got the demo to see if my machine could handle it, which it could so I got the game.
I'd certainly play a demo if they brought one out, just to get a feeling of the new features, but it's not necessary.

Yes; I don't expect a demo for the expansion.

That's something that tends to be limited to the initial release of the game itself.

Yeah, the biggest reasons for the demo don't exist here. People who have the original game know they meet the system requirements and they have a general idea how the game works. You also really won't be able to fully test out new features. You can pick a pantheon and play as a new civ (so if you're the Celts or probably the Mayans, you can see their UU), but that seems to be about it.

Demo would hurt more then help.

People with the game and like it will buy the Xpac no matter what.

People that tried the game and hate it would only try the demo, realize the stuff they think is broken with the game is still broke and wont shell out cash for it. They will see it as a great chance to avoid getting fooled twice.

The only possible gains would be people that have never played and I think there is a vanilla demo out somewhere for them, could be wrong though.

No demo means all of us that feel they got fooled the first time have to either go with our gut and stay away or take another chance on hope and change.

It serves the game makers to avoid a demo on Xpacs I think.

I am going to buy it anyway. However I would love to see some live gameplay. Is that to much to ask? I hope not.

I am going to buy it anyway. However I would love to see some live gameplay. Is that to much to ask? I hope not.

I am going to buy it too, and I agree. A live gameplay video would immensely help showing all the new features and a couple new civilizations, to keep us excited for the release.

I would like to see more about the AI and how much better it is supposed to be at naval warfare. The demo vids showed us very little about the reworked AI's capability.

Top Bottom