0019:041A 0019:041A general protection fault on CIVNET, was wondering has a clue?

samzonx

Chieftain
Issue Resolved: Read last post for info

Hello guys, im very new here but i have a quick question.. i've been playing Civnet for a very long time and had to reformat my computer recently and i've since lost the cd.

upon reformatting, i had to download the game, and it no longer works for me, it is still on the same computer with the same OS. i had XP pro before the format and i have it now. so i cannot figure out if it is due to the reformat or just that the shareware (abandonware) civnet that is floating around is corrupt. i was wondering if anyone knew what the 0019:041A fault was, i did a google search and the ONLY thing that came up related to civnet was a post in 2004, on this very thread. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2175511&postcount=18

unfortinatly, the poster's question was never answered, and even though he had a much older operating system, it was the same exact registry. i was just wondering if anyone had a clue about this. help would be MUCH apprecaited.

(P.s.: i see that alot of people on this forum are trying to get a working multiplayer medium. a program that i have used for some time -Hamachi- has served me well in the past. its is a VPN program. which allows you to play via LAN on civnet as opposed to playing direct IP (this also allows multiple players to play in a game, which i would be more than willing to set up! :))

I'll issue an unhelpful, "Did you try futzing around with Windows' compatibility options?"

indeed, i did. i tried 95,98,2000 all of them, i tried the standard text issue fix and i also tried messing around with the colors. but none of them even remotely helped. thank you for the response though :)

I'm also assuming you've already tracked down any applicable patches to CivNET.

... 0019:041A fault ...
I don’t run CIVnet very often but when I saw your post I wanted to see if my install worked. I have it on a disk other than C: and It was not installed on the operating system* that I am currently running. I clicked on it F:\mps\civnet\civnet.exe

When CIVnet ran I first got
File Error
Cannot find WING.DLL

I click Close and then I got
Application Error
CIVNET caused a General Protection Fault in module CIVNET.EXE at 0018:041A.

You didn’t say if your error contained a reference to WING.DLL.

WING.DLL is a file
FileDescription WinG High-Performance Graphics Library
FileVersion WinG Version 1.0
InternalName WinG.DLL
LegalCopyright Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1993-1994

Somewhere in my pile of junk I have my cd of CIVnet (I sure it will turn up shortly). I was hoping to get it and install it on my current running system to see if WING.DLL is part of the CivNet install. WING.DLL is not on my C: drive. Searching for WING.DLL I found it on the old system* on F: so I copied it to F:\mps\civnet\ and doubled on civnet.exe. CivNet started up.

This may have nothing to do with your problem as you only mention the general protection fault.

*XP pro

no i saw no reference to wing.dll

i had problems with that in the past but now that you mention it i probally AM missing some of the necisarry DLLS, anyone know where i can get em? (i DO have wing.dll though.
and whelk, yes i tried the only patch i could find, but no avail.

dack, by any chance could you upload your civ folder to see if it will work for me? i would be eternally indebbted to you but either way thanks for the info.

I don’t run CIVnet very often but when I saw your post I wanted to see if my install worked. I have it on a disk other than C: and It was not installed on the operating system* that I am currently running. I clicked on it F:\mps\civnet\civnet.exe

When CIVnet ran I first got
File Error
Cannot find WING.DLL

I click Close and then I got
Application Error
CIVNET caused a General Protection Fault in module CIVNET.EXE at 0018:041A.

You didn’t say if your error contained a reference to WING.DLL.

WING.DLL is a file
FileDescription WinG High-Performance Graphics Library
FileVersion WinG Version 1.0
InternalName WinG.DLL
LegalCopyright Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1993-1994

Somewhere in my pile of junk I have my cd of CIVnet (I sure it will turn up shortly). I was hoping to get it and install it on my current running system to see if WING.DLL is part of the CivNet install. WING.DLL is not on my C: drive. Searching for WING.DLL I found it on the old system* on F: so I copied it to F:\mps\civnet\ and doubled on civnet.exe. CivNet started up.

This may have nothing to do with your problem as you only mention the general protection fault.

*XP pro

btw, ironically enough i tried reopening the prog today and i got 0018 instead, same error as you did im thinking that its my wing.dll is not the right file, prehaps?

YES! THANK YOU@!@!@!@

i found the issue! i had a different WING.dll than the one installed, i had an older one previously and the installation did not overwrite it - for others with this, DELETE OR MOVE YOUR CURRENT C:/Windows/WING.DLL and REINSTALL! thank you so much =)

Top Bottom