[NFP] [1.0.12.28] Mayan Observatory No Reef Adjacency

I believe this is by design, similiar to Seowon.

Your adjacency are meant to be coming from the Plantation/Farms, rather than the standard set of adjacencies.
But then why the Great Barrier Reef? (But not regular reef?!)

I think it was an oversight.

The developer who fixed the Great Barrier Reef adjacency for campuses didn't update the Observatory properly. 😑

But then why the Great Barrier Reef? (But not regular reef?!)

I think it was an oversight.

The developer who fixed the Great Barrier Reef adjacency for campuses didn't update the Observatory properly. 😑
i dont think so. they made sure that the great barrier reef bonus didnt apply to seowons, presumably because, while mayan observatories do get adjacencies from nearby stuff (plantations and farms), the whole philosophy of the seowon is to isolate it as much as possible from other stuff and build improvements around it. probably the mentality with the observatory is that, while they normally dont get reef adjacencies, cmon its the great barrier reef theyve gotta get something from this one if nothing else

i dont think so. they made sure that the great barrier reef bonus didnt apply to seowons, presumably because, while mayan observatories do get adjacencies from nearby stuff (plantations and farms), the whole philosophy of the seowon is to isolate it as much as possible from other stuff and build improvements around it. probably the mentality with the observatory is that, while they normally dont get reef adjacencies, cmon its the great barrier reef theyve gotta get something from this one if nothing else
Soz. I don't buy that.

Just look at Civ VI as a whole and you see a plethora of oversights, bugs and exploits.
(A ton of exploits in fact. So many that it is now a sport among YouTubers to find and post videos on them).

The Yucatán peninsula has lots of reefs being tropical/equatorial.

Why Great Barrier Reef, yes? Normal reef, no?

Historically Mayans settle the coast and were just as comfortable there than they were interior.

It is a bug IMO 😑

Great Barrier Reef is a rare natural wonder so you would expect it to do exceptional things. Normal reefs should follow the rules. A Reef wonder can do things that normal reefs can't do. Just like unique districts can do things regular districts can't.

By the way, the Fandom wiki is not a reliable source. Don't rely on them.

By the way, the Fandom wiki is not a reliable source. Don't rely on them.

OT: Seriously?! Actually I'm usually impressed with the wiki (and how fast they update it!)

I'm not buying any of these excuses re: Maya's Observatory.
Maya's nerfbuff is more nerf than buff to begin with. So I think they should be able to settle coasts and islands just as well as any other civ. For that the Observatory needs reef adjacency just like any other campus.

Last edited:
IMO, the bug is Observatory getting adjacency from Great Barrier Reef. If you really push Firaxis to fix this bug, I think they would remove Great Barrier Reef's adjacency to Observatory, instead of adding regular reef adjacency.

Interesting catch. I think I agree with OP that this is a bug and the Observatory shouldn’t have this adjacency.

Top Bottom