[NFP] [1.0.5.11] Government Plaza razed when city flips independent

Pfeffersack

Deity
This is probably technically unrelated NFP and the Dramatic Age mode (in which I played the game it happened), but chances that a city with the Government Plaza inside switches independet is naturally very low outside this mode.

Title:

Spoiler :

GovPlazaRazed1.jpg

Spoiler :

GovPlazaRazed2.jpg

So the question is: Is that intended? I understand that any Government Plaza I conquer gets razed, when I already have one, but it is very frustrating that this already happens when a city loyalty flips to independent.
I see no gameplay argument why it should work that way - especially because independent cities in that mode excert pressure themselves...and an intact GP would further pile on this feature!

To reproduce with the attached save:

1. See that I have a GP district in Nikomedia.
2. End turn, which causes me to fall into a Dark Age
3. See that Nikomedia has turned independent and the GP is no longer there

Attachments

• 1.0.5.11GovPlRazedWhenCityFlips.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Free Cities cannot have government plazas. So it gets destroyed.

If you capture a plaza while your own cities have no plaza, the plaza will maintain.

Free Cities cannot have government plazas. So it gets destroyed.

Yes, that is probably the technical reason for this happening. The question is however, if that is good for gameplay - I don't think so and while this has little impact in games outside Dramatic Age mode, it quite takes away from that mode IMO. Maybe some technical limitation or condition makes this inevitable, but I don't think it hurts to bring this up now that this mechanic can actually matter more often.

If you capture a plaza while your own cities have no plaza, the plaza will maintain.

Yes, I'm aware of that and as said - I'm also not expecting to get a 2nd one by conquest. I'm even fine with another civ having a GP capturing my city with a GP insta-razing it, but losing it when a city turns independent just not feels right for me. Also because on of the effects of the GP is giving loyalty, so it is a strategy to use it to secure places far away from your capital - the current way it works makes that at least high-risk approach in Dramatic Age mode, if it doesn't outright kill it.

The question is however, if that is good for gameplay
This here is why I wouldn't classify this as a bug, but rather a design/technical decision. Imo, I think this would be better classified as a "suggestion" for changing a gameplay mechanic that you don't agree with rather than a flaw in the game that needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom