1001 Quick Tips and things you learned

Perhaps the best Great People in the game, both in terms of power and flexibility, are:
  1. Adam Smith (Great Merchant, Industrial Era): +1 Economic Policy slot. That's on par with the bonus from Big Ben or Forbidden City wonders (and stacks with them, letting you have 9 slots, or 10 if you are Greece)
  2. James Watt (Great Engineer, Industrial Era): Builds a Workshop and a Factory in an Industrial Zone. +2 production from Factories. If Factories weren't good enough with their stacking effect zone, now you get even more production from them!
  3. Raja Todar Mal (Great Merchant, Renaissance Era): Trade Routes get +0.5 gold per district at the destination. Gain 1 Envoy. Most Trade Routes should go to your capital or another well-developed city for production/growth anyway, and it's not that hard to get 10+ Trade Routes by that time (and 15+ by Industrial Era). Don't know if Wonders also count towards the bonus, though.

my tips:

-Don't attack barb scouts unless you have nothing better things to do. go directly and kill their camp, even one warrior can do it

Kill the camp first, but don't leave the scouts around. Hunt them with an archer. Otherwise, a scout with only 2 HP left will wander around and snipe your trade routes. AMHIK

1. James Watt (Great Engineer, Industrial Era): Builds a Workshop and a Factory in an Industrial Zone. +2 production from Factories. If Factories weren't good enough with their stacking effect zone, now you get even more production from them

Does the +2 apply to all factories, or just the factory in this particular city? Has anyone tested?

Does the +2 apply to all factories, or just the factory in this particular city? Has anyone tested?
every city, but bonus for other cities is given next turn after use of james watt. but remember this +2 bonus isn't regional.

Unlike in the previous Civ editions the high level AI can convert your holy city fairly easily. So if you already went the trouble of founding a religion make sure you spread it, otherwise you will only be able to build units of the AI's religion.

A foolproof way to avoid this is to surround your holy city with scouts (0 maintenance) and/or any of the cultural Great People you don't have works slots for. This prevents the AI apostles from even getting adjacent to your holy city in the first place.

but remember this +2 bonus isn't regional.

I still like him since many cities (if not all) will have factories. That's some serious production going around.

A lumbermill on a river-side forest will give +2 production, rather than just +1. If the forest (+1 production unimproved) is on a river-side grassland hill (+2 food/+1 production, before taking the forest into account), you can get 2 food and 4 production from that tile, post-lumbermill (and another +1 production, after researching Steel). It's hard to find a better tile.
And with mines that stays at 2f4h or you get that bonus for lumbermills a lot earlier than for mines?

And with mines that stays at 2f4h or you get that bonus for lumbermills a lot earlier than for mines?

If it's on a river, take the lumber mill. You keep the +1 production from the forests, and get an immediate +2 from the mill, for a total of +3 early game and +4 at Steel. With mines you lose the +1 production from the feature/forest, but you get the immediate production boost, you get an immediate +1 from the mine, for a total of +1 early game, +2 at Apprenticeship (very easy to tech to), and +3 at Industrialization.

So rule of thumb, forest river = lumber mill, forest no river = chop and mine.

You can block enemies from using their great prophet and starting a religion by placing a unit on their holy site. (I did it with war, but open borders may be enough). Does anyone know if you can capture them? I've trapped Japan's prophet in the capital, will find out later today once I get home, produce catapults and take down the walls...

So it looks as if great prophets can't be captured - if so they just automatically appear back in their owners city or move to the next available city. If it its the last city in that civs empire they just disappear.
This MAY be because on my save file I already owned my own prophet, I tried before and after I'd founded a religion and both resulted in the same effect.

Also another note, they can't form a religion on a pillaged holy site.

So it looks as if great prophets can't be captured - if so they just automatically appear back in their owners city or move to the next available city. If it its the last city in that civs empire they just disappear.
This MAY be because on my save file I already owned my own prophet, I tried before and after I'd founded a religion and both resulted in the same effect.
No Great People can be captured. They always teleports back to a city if attacked. I think the same goes for Archaeologists.

Today I learnt that if you capture big Ben or any policy slot wonder, you won't actually get the slot :(

Today I learnt that if you capture big Ben or any policy slot wonder, you won't actually get the slot :(

Yes and no. I found out that you have to either wipe out the civ by conquering all their cities, or you have to have it ceded to you in a peace deal. For example, in my Brazil game I posted on the LP forum, I captured a city from Sythia (spelling may be wrong) - this city had the wonder that starts with "A-something" and gives you 1 free military policy card slot. I did not get this right away as the city was considered occupied since I was at war. Once I had the conquered city ceded to me in a peace deal, I got the pop-up asking me to place a card in the policy slot...I went from 2 military slots to 3.

Siege towers are the bomb. They totally obviate walls and never become obsolete. When building an army for conquest/domination, don't waste the hammers or beakers on artillery, etc. Just build Knights, Cavalry, or tanks and take a couple siege towers with you. Any city will fall in no time.

One I found out yesterday I am finding useful. If you know what parameter to change in the globalparameters.xml file you can just change it and it will take effect for new games.
So for example if you want 4 initial beliefs instead of 2, just change that parameter, bosh!

For a cultural victory,

The tourism benefit in having open borders and trade with each civ halves for each additional civ.
Trade/open borders with 1/2 - 3/4 and do not worry about the rest.

Having more cities with more archaeological museums is the most effective cultural victory.

Last edited:
In my tests it appears that the +30% bonus to district project yields from Democracy does not apply to the Great People points generated when the project is finished. The bonus only boosts the base yield you get from building it by 30%. For example, research grants giving 15% of production in science gives 19.5% of production in science under Democracy.

Aircraft carriers can Melee-attack!! :eek:
Happened with me when a land unit was nearby and declared war.

As it was already said, great people cannot be captured or killed. Thanks to this and their lightning speed, they are great scouts, especially in Sitzkrieg situations.

If you play as Barbarians, you'll need to find a way to facilitate the plethora of great artists you will be spawning. Cathedrals are a great, and pretty much only reasonable way to do so.
There's still no way of making any productive use of great musicians. Your great writers will also linger, but not for so long after the Fall update. On the bright side, you just got yourself a bunch of indestructible scouts.

Many actions are pointless without proper policies, like building military units, scouts or builders. Timing them may be difficult, but there are quite a few pretty much useless and relatively cheap cultural ideas you can culture-research up to the last turn, and then use as fast and free policy changing tool. (On a side note, shuffling worker bonus policies can yield while workers are being produced can yield you workers with 10+ charges. It's an exploit, ofc.)

Food from religious buildings was useful in Civ5. In Civ6, a shrine, a temple and a shrine can be the main source of food for your city.

Slingers cost next to nothing in production and cost nothing in maintenance. You can spawn an army of them in no time with no time and upgrade them to archers for a meager 30g (45g on epic speed) the moment you need to conquer a civilization or 3. 2 warriors and 4 archers should be enough to conquer any Civ6's Artificial Lack-of-Intelligence civ.

Killing a missionary, an apostle or an inquisitor with a military unit won't provide you with any influence for your religion but it will remove some of your enemy's religion influence.

If you're far ahead in GP production, like you're a Kraut and you bathe in Hansas, don't skip great people. You may earn 3 of them before AI manages to get one, and if you skip a GP, you won't be able to pick anyone of their kind unless the previous one was earned by someone.

Civilization's special districts don't count toward district limit. Thanks to this, Barbarians can build a Lavra in their city and still have their district count at 0.

Farms provide 0,5 housing each. A strategically placed city will still grow nicely even without water if you surround it with useless farms, and make sure that other housing providers like pastures are built.

Barbarian scouts never attack units. You can march a settler right next to it. Just hope there's no mounted archer right behind him.

Top Bottom