1001 Quick Tips and things you learned

Nor sure if this is common knowledge or not, but you can keep spending Apostles for more beliefs until all the beliefs have been taken. You are not limited to by founding your religion.

Nor sure if this is common knowledge or not, but you can keep spending Apostles for more beliefs until all the beliefs have been taken. You are not limited to by founding your religion.
You mean after you evangelized your religion twice? :confused:

Evangelize beliefs takes two charges of an apostle.

But if you promote one so that he has extra charges (two extra, or three if you go near a wonder), you can use them, then come back and evangelize a belief, as long as it still has two charges.

Sure. But you can only evangelize a religion twice and not as many times as you want. At least in my version.

Razing a city that has a Wonder in its area razes the Wonder, even if said Wonder is very close to another city you have. :-/

Submarines can shoot onto land. Same 2 range. Not sure if it's a glitch. IRL modern submarines do carry cruise missiles but in the game it's clearly just a torpedo that magically swims under the soil. You even see waves around the target unit...

All my play so far has been on Prince and King.

My biggest tip for newbies (so far) is to make sure that you don't neglect an early army. The barbarians and the other A.I.s will absolutely punish you if you think you can get away with protecting your cities with only a couple of units.

I did a write-up of my own personal observations and tips about the very early game (exploration and dealing with barbs):
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2016/10/26/Civ-VI-exploration-and-barbarian-guide.aspx

I've also started to make a habit of trying to chop jungles or forests prior to building districts on them. I'll often adopt the policy that boosts builder production in order and just pop a handful of them out from all my cities, then use them to chop in order to give the cities head starts on districts, wonders, etc.

Lastly, I often find myself researching half of a tech or civic, and then switching to something else and working towards getting the eureka boost(s) to finish the tech/civic off. This can also be a good way to minimize the cost-scaling of new districts. A bunch of half-finished techs/civics don't (as far as I can tell) contribute to district costs.

Last edited:
Chop early and chop often.
Its a huge boost to production when you need it the most.
To chop forests you need Mining, to chop rainforests you need Iron working.

Usually a chopped forest is a make or break for a crucial shrine, settler or campus. If you chop you get a prophet in time, if you dont chop AI gets it first.
Thats a higher difficulties thing for sure.

Actually, it's Bronze Working for the rainforest chop. Which brings up my little tip - Warriors cost no upkeep, so you can build as many as you want (until they are obsoleted by Iron Working, which obsoletes them regardless of whether you actually have iron) "Infinite Warrior Spam" isn't just for the city states. Just get em all built before you research Iron Working.

Which is why Sumer(ia)'s special ability is actually good all game long and compensates for Gilgamesh's lame UA.
If you actually find any lying around still that late in the game that is but yeah

Another thing, not sure if people know this or not, but in the lategame space race there is one great engineer and scientist which gives +100% production towards space race projects (I.E: same way like +production military cards work, you just build them at twice the speed). Strangely enough, this actually stacks with other raw production boosts. So if you've already popped a scientist which gives you +100% production, and then use an engineer which gives +1500 instant production towards space race projects, it'll actually add 3000 instead. So you can finish a Mars Project component immediately even with an Atomic Era great engineer/scientist

Something I haven't tested though is what happens if you use one of the Information Era ones which normally adds 3000 with this, as they should now add 6000. Does this give 3000 overflow allowing you to complete 2 Mars Project parts immediately by building a second one right thereafter or is the remaining 3000 just lost? Not sure about that part

Barbs spawn till late game, so it's usually not a problem to get barb encampments late game to clean up. Keep some patch of ice/tundra devoid of units and cities and you'll get some freebies.

Something I haven't tested though is what happens if you use one of the Information Era ones which normally adds 3000 with this, as they should now add 6000. Does this give 3000 overflow allowing you to complete 2 Mars Project parts immediately by building a second one right thereafter or is the remaining 3000 just lost? Not sure about that part
If you have both the engineer and the scientist that gives +100% each, you get 9000 production from Carl Sagan (=all 3 mars modules). You can get even more boost from +15% military policy, +20% Great Engineer, +20% from Hong Kong and +10% from Communism. These all apply to Great People giving production towards space projects. All multipliers apply to chops and harvests as well, so building a Mars module in a few chops is also possible.

Only Ruhr Valley does not boost chops or production from Great People.

Just learned you can train full armies/armadas with the right encampment or harbor buildings. There's a discount in turn time applied. I think it was something like: battleship 8 turns, battleship armada 22 turns. Useful if you're anticipating a war well in the future.

Someone probably mentionned it before but just in case : I feel like it's rarely optimal to build current good units, what seems to be a more effective strategy is to spam out of date units just before you get the tech to upgrade them, especially charriots => knights, horsemen => cavalery, Knights => Tanks and catapults => bombards (scouts => rangers also seems interesting). You can build old irrelevant units very fast and instantly upgrade them and get a strong modern military almost instantly doing that. You just have to get a good economy going which should be easy and automatic as trade routes are a priority. Obviously never upgrade a unit without the discount card (except the slingers). If the timing is not the best switch tech research 1 turn before getting the required tech for the new unit and finish it when you have enough units to upgrade.

Currently, overflow goes to all types of production, with the modifier applied.

E.g., let's say I have the 100%-modifier, and pop the 3000 hammer scientist/engineer. Now I have 6000 hammers. After spending 3000 of those hammers on a space module, the remaining 3000 hammers can be spend on what I want - like a thermonuclear device or an army/armada of my choosing.

Currently, overflow goes to all types of production, with the modifier applied.
This is a bug I hope they fix asap. Currently, in a high production city, it's also faster to build heavy chariots or horsemen and accumulate overflow until you can build a spaceport in 1 turn than it would be to build the spaceport normally.

The number of hammers you get from chopping doesn't depend on the distance to the city, or whether the forest is within cultural borders. Likewise, look to "chop" marshes from anywhere on the map for a quick food boost.

You can even chop forests/jungles in your enemies territory, making overall movement easier, it prevents them from using the production later, and it allows you to quickly build reinforcements in your closest city.

Since old-growth forests give bonus appeal only to themselves (no bonus for tiles around) it is good idea to chop old forests right after conservation is researched. Whole process lasts 4 turns (removing old lumbermill->chop forest->plant new forest->put new lumbermill) and uses 3 builder's charges, but late game if your builders have 5 charges and bonus from chopping is high, it is worth it. Ofc don't do it if you plan to use your old forest as a part of national park :)

Top Bottom