1840 AI has started the SETI Wonder

Difficulty is Monarch I think, but yeah getting my ass kicked here. I mean c'mon every other civ is neck and neck with me tech wise except the Indians and for some reason they just took off and started murdering me in tech. I am still in the Industrial age researching Steel and they're in the Modern age building the U.N. and SETI. I mean what are we doing here? A Diplomatic win is my only hope. Wish me luck.

You think that's bad? I remember (albeit, in Civ2, not Civ3, but a relatable experience), Frederick of the Germans coughs out a Manhattan Project in the 15th Century, and several turns later, nukes my capital while making a sneak attack! :eek:

I would have to check exactly which version-number of CAII I have, but AFAIK that older version is still available on CFC: you just have to go back some way through the CAII thread...
OK, now I've checked, and I have v.2.0.5083 on both machines.

Game update, Industrial Age:

At the beginning of the Industrial Age, I underestimated the impact of the end of my Golden Age: I simply wasn't able to do my first industrial tech (Electricity) in 4 turns. Tried as hard as I could, but it took me 5 turns. After these 5 turns, however, more infrastructure had gotten ready, cities had been pushed to size 12 by joining workers and the first science farms had become up and running, so from then on I was able to do the remaining industrial techs at 4 turns a piece.

The plan was to first research the upper two thirds of the tech tree, hoping that in the time it took me to finish those 10 techs, Babylon would at least manage to finish Medicine for me, but no such luck...: they did Nationalism during that time, which I traded, even though it is not needed in such a game. Perhaps later on they will also finish Communism, then I can increase my science output with Police Stations, and Nationalism will at least be somewhat useful.

techtree.png

So after doing all the techs as indicated by the green arrows, Medicine was still not available, and I had to do the remaining 4 techs also by myself... Consequently I entered the Modern Age in 1050 AD.

Besides researching all those techs, the following projects kept me busy during that time:
  • Making the occasional trade "outdated tech for lux resource", whenever a deal expired after 20 turns
  • Conquering Spain
  • Conquering Rome
  • Building lots and lots of slaves, workers and settlers for ICSing Spain's and Rome's territory and clearing all that jungle over there.
  • Building units and disbanding them in low production cities for markets and universities, where still needed.
The two wars against Spain and Rome were done mainly with Knights and a few Infantries. They had only spearmen, so no big problem.

Conquering Spain and Rome was necessary for getting the required territory for setting up a decent number of science farms, without which 4-turn research will no longer be possible in the Modern Age. Most of the game time went into managing all those workers, clearing jungle, planting and chopping trees into settlers, irrigating and railing all the grassland tiles down there. Once that job was done, I joined most of the native workers back into towns to bring them up to size 6 immediately.

Now I'm making 2155 bpt, which is broken down into 1411 bpt from my economy and 744 bpt from 248 scientists. The expensive ones of the modern age techs are around 8000 beakers, so I should be able to do those also in 4 turns each, especially as I will get another big boost from the Internet soon.

After that pretty boring chore, the end of the Industrial Age was quite interesting again: in the interturn after Electronics was finished, I dialed up Babylon, gifted them the remaining industrial age, and they got Ecology. Then I switched a pre-build to Theory of Evolution, which then finished the same interturn. I took Computers and Miniaturization as my free techs, dialed up Babylon again and traded Computers for Ecology. So even though the industrial age was a bit slow, I got a nice head-start into the modern age with three modern age techs already known, before that age has even started...

techtree_ma.png

Now I used the SGL I had stored all that time, and rushed the Internet. So next turn I'll have Research Labs in all my cities, and enough science output for even the most expensive modern age tech.

I was a bit sloppy though: I haven't prepared any pre-builds for SETI and for the Hover Dam... It'll take a while to build these by hand. And I only have 36 turns left... Perhaps I'll have to skip SETI and instead start pre-building for the Apollo Program?!

Attachments

• Montezuma of the Aztecs, 1050 AD.SAV
    157.6 KB · Views: 26
Game Update, Modern Age:

After the chore of the industrial age, the rest of the game was easy cruising, more or less clicking through the remaining turns, while the techs keep coming in, and making sure the appropriate pre-builds are ready, whenever a spaceship part becomes available.

In the end, the spaceship was launched in 1330 AD (turn 256).

Attached is the 1325 AD save for watching the replay. Just hit enter. When the popup comes up asking for the next tech, select "the big picture", switch into F1, scroll down for Tlaxcala and change the Palace, it's currently building, to the last remaining SS part. (That'll waste 570 shields, but who cares...)
Hit "Launch" and enjoy the show... ;)

Attachments

• Montezuma of the Aztecs, 1325 AD.SAV
    162.7 KB · Views: 24
....I think my problem in general is that I am too attached to building Wonders. I push really hard for the GLib and that 400 shields could go to other needs. But I am not to saying it does not work, GIib route, since I've won many times playing that strategy.....
I'm exceptionally late to the party, and it's been a long time since I played C3C. Once upon a time, though, I thought of myself as a solid Emperor-level player, with a few skirmishes above that. But let's be clear: I didn't play for diplo, space or culture. I conquered. With that said, I seem to recall that Wonder Addiction is fairly common among new players. Wonders are a lot of fun. No doubt. The GLib is fine, and yes, it can help you recover from a bad start. But for 400 shields, it's a pretty big early-game investment. For that price, I could also build The Pyramids, a personal favorite, and send every town on my home landmass into a population boom. Alternatively, I could build 400 shields worth of horses, or cats and swords . . . and go wreck my neighbor's empire. That gets me land, population, resources, etc., all of which I can turn into research. IMHO, at Emperor and below, the GLib just isn't your best investment, at least not for a conquest victory.

Changing the town/city/metro numbers should not affect unworked tiles. I think it will only impact when the town becomes a city or a city becomes a metro. The number of tiles in the fat cross is unaffected in my test. I made it 7, instead of 6. The borders popped while I was still size one and I could then see all the tiles in the cross. If I followed what you were talking about.

Steam does come with the editor, not sure about GoG.

Top Bottom