1on1 with EXACT same continents

Markstar

Warlord
Here is a little map for everybody who wants to play with somebody and not worry about if the one player started with four cows on a river while the other is in the middle of the desert. :mad:

I tried to balance everything with this map, yet try to make it appear as random as possible. Just one thing - the other continent rocks! :cool: All you need is Map Making.

Enjoy!

P.S.: Please let me know if you find any "bugs" (tiles where the continents are different). Opinions are also welcome!

Attachments

• 2players.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 152
And here are some pics (how do you attach several files???)

Attachments

• mapoverview.jpg
    mapoverview.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 784
You start in the upper left (pink circle)

Attachments

• startingcontinent.jpg
    startingcontinent.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 815
This is the other main continent (sorry, can't see much, but I didn't want to post more than 100k)

BTW, would anyone be interested in a 8p map somewhat similar as that?

Attachments

• promisedland.jpg
    promisedland.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 785
markstar, i wud be interested in a similar map for as many players as ya can get. Possibly more than one on a continent?

i haven't played a game on ya map yet (just about to) bt from what i see above i think that if you put some areas of jungle (or desert or other nasty terrain) in places would make it more realistic, also, random maps tend in my experience to have mountains in lines crossing the lands which makes exploring better. Just ideas if ya make another map :)

oh and looks like nice map ty :)

Well, I already had a 8p map with 2 continents, but lost it with a harddrive crash (as well as the first edition of this one).
:cry:

What do you mean by jungle? I do have some (rather large) areas of jungle on the starting continent. Just not that much on the other one (because I traded realism for enticement, as I wanted to give the players as much reason as possible to be willing to go over there, since otherwise you just concentrate your forces on your starting island).

And for the mountains, well, not many mountains in this map (since they provide no food at all), but some large areas with hills. The mountain-lining is an interesting thought, for sure, maybe in some other addition. :)

Oh, I forgot, the map is for two human players, but there are starting positions for two computer opponents for each continent.

ya have some jungle, but is sparse, and on random maps its generally concentrated. also ya have little desert or bad terrain. Was just a thought fro realism, where ya have large areas of this which arent meant to be settled as would take a lot of jungle cutting but just for realism. Also tundras at the poles.

I only say this because you mentioned you tried to make it:

I tried to balance everything with this map, yet try to make it appear as random as possible.

I only say this because you mentioned you tried to make it:
Yeah, and I really appreciate any feedback and I think you are absolutly right! Especially on large maps you can see how the computer creates large areas of the same terrain. The continents on this map are rather small, though, and even though I wanted to give the "impression" of a random map, I also tried to make the gameplay more enjoyable for the players (eg more cows/wheat, the area with desert and lots of hills).

And there is one big problem with jungle and forests: You can't control what kind of terrain is going to be underneath (grassland / bonus grassland). For example: If you put five forrests on each continent, there is the chance that on the one continent all are bonus grassland and on the other only plain grassland. This is also the weakness of my map (a weakness you could bypass in Civ2).

So again, thanks for your response. ;)

realism in a exact equal map? you are kidding!

realism in a exact equal map? you are kidding!
Hehe, I didn't claim that the map is 100% realistic (as it can't be), but to be more realistic (to appear more random, to be exact) than the other maps that have the same starting positions (Asphai Ancient, for example). Again, I totally agree that this map is neither realistic nor does it really play like a random map (the boosted starting loc alone shows that).

Markstar, I don't know, but if ya put the terrain underneath, then put forest on top would that work to determine the terrain underneath?

And ya map looks much more real than some of the others Ive seen, although Dominatrix comes close second imho. Well done.

Markstar, I don't know, but if ya put the terrain underneath, then put forest on top would that work to determine the terrain underneath?
That works for plains (since there is only on kind of that) but not for grassland. So far I havn't figured out how the computer decides with what it replaces forrest/jungle (grassland/bonus grassland).

it does it by seed...put down plain grassland on the editor and sometimes ya get shields...or thats what happens for me. Ya can change the position of the shields on one of the menues.

it does it by seed...put down plain grassland on the editor and sometimes ya get shields...or thats what happens for me. Ya can change the position of the shields on one of the menues.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. Anyways, I tested that whole issue quite intensively, but there was now way of getting rid of that problem. Yes, you can change the position of the shields, but that doesn't solve the problem of not knowing which kind of grassland is going to be underneath - at least afaik. :(

when ya go into Editor, just put down plain grassland, and ya get some grassland shield aswell. I dunno whether if ya then put forest on top and play it stays shield/plain but just a thought. Sorry cant test myself.
Also...does it really matter? Statistically, the probabilities of ending up shield-heavy up shield-dry are low especially over larger areas.

As I said, just putting the forest on top doesn't work.
And it does matter if you want to have totally even continents. But since I also think the chances are higher to get plain grassland, I decided to have quite some forest and jungle.

What you could do is make bonus grassland produce the same as grassland, by making it produce two food and no shields. Or you can do the opposite and make grasslands all produce 1 shield 2 food and bonus grasslands produce 1 shield and 2 food. Basically I'm saying to just make the two terrain types produce the same thing, so that it won't matter what you get under a forest.

Anyway, it looks like a good map. I'll probably try it with someone, if I can get someone.

What you could do is make bonus grassland produce the same as grassland, by making it produce two food and no shields. Or you can do the opposite and make grasslands all produce 1 shield 2 food and bonus grasslands produce 1 shield and 2 food.
Great idea! Wasn't thinking about that since I don't like messing with that kinda stuff, but sounds good!
Anyway, it looks like a good map. I'll probably try it with someone, if I can get someone.
You can try it with me if you want to! :)

All you do is choose "custom rules" in the editor, then go into terrain types, and choose grassland. Then for tile values raise shield output to 1. It's as simple as that. The game won't crash or anything, terrain modding has been done for a long time.

If you want to start a game with me, sure. I haven't played in a long time (2 months!!!) so I might be a little rusty. I usually play on Emperor, and you?

You call not playing for two months getting rusty? :confused:

Sounds like you are an expert in mp-gaming. So far I havn't even finished one game, so I'm a novice at that.

But single player I usually play deity, I think the map would also be best suited for that, but we can talk about that, of course. ;)

Top Bottom