1st Imperial Dynasty Game

I'd love to get involved in something like this, but only really if someone could get multiple people playing each civ, the lackluster AI would honestly break any versimultitude I'd have with a game,

I was thinking of starting another Dynasty Game. I am wide open for the next few months so my participation will not be an issue. Let me know if anyone is interested and we can begin working on the new rules and settings.

I am still interested.
Great! I think we should go over the rules and tweak them. If participation is low the then there really isn't a need for the popularity poll. Maybe we can come up with a concept to overthrow the Emperor if he becomes unpopular, absent or another member wants to take power.

Also I think we should include participants in the decision making process. Perhaps the Emperor should or could appoint positions of power like Governors, Ambassadors and Generals. This would give other players limited power if they did not want to become emperor but want to participate in a smaller capacity.

Governors could be appointed to manage a region of cities, perhaps conquested lands, for the Emperor.
Ambassadors could be appointed to manage relations with other civs. Instructing the Emperor on possible trades, treaties and espionage.
Generals, the Emperor could grant units (or multiple units) to players letting them name and RP them.

Just some ideas, let me know what you think.

Civius-

Sounds great. I like the concepts of the other positions. I would only include governors and generals though. Diplomats would really play no part as far as I can see. The positions should be appointed, and the individuals who are appointed do have a bit of autonomy outside of the emporer. This way you can see divisions develop and it would make the emperors position more important, and would make for a good story line as to whether the emperor was a strong or a weak one.

Also, I would like to see family houses in the game. Where individuals can join, be asked to join, or rule a family. Then each family would choose a leader to which the emperors can make their heir, or challenge the ascension to the throne. I think that would increase the RPG possibilities for the game.

Sounds like a fun game. Let me know what you think of my suggestions. Also, is it possible to be for example a group of individuals who rebel against the emperor to set up a republic?

When do you expect to start the game?

civius-

sounds great. I like the concepts of the other positions. I would only include governors and generals though. Diplomats would really play no part as far as i can see. The positions should be appointed, and the individuals who are appointed do have a bit of autonomy outside of the emporer. This way you can see divisions develop and it would make the emperors position more important, and would make for a good story line as to whether the emperor was a strong or a weak one.

Also, i would like to see family houses in the game. Where individuals can join, be asked to join, or rule a family. Then each family would choose a leader to which the emperors can make their heir, or challenge the ascension to the throne. I think that would increase the rpg possibilities for the game.

Sounds like a fun game. Let me know what you think of my suggestions. Also, is it possible to be for example a group of individuals who rebel against the emperor to set up a republic?

i like it!!! :)

Civius-

Sounds great. I like the concepts of the other positions. I would only include governors and generals though. Diplomats would really play no part as far as I can see. The positions should be appointed, and the individuals who are appointed do have a bit of autonomy outside of the emporer. This way you can see divisions develop and it would make the emperors position more important, and would make for a good story line as to whether the emperor was a strong or a weak one.

So, no Ambassadors, I can live with that. I like your input on the Governors and Generals. I'd like to see you go a little more in depth on this issue, I like where you are going with it so far.

Also, I would like to see family houses in the game. Where individuals can join, be asked to join, or rule a family. Then each family would choose a leader to which the emperors can make their heir, or challenge the ascension to the throne. I think that would increase the RPG possibilities for the game.

There probably won't be enough participation for a system like this. I really like the idea for RPG and an Emperor could certainly create a family house for his dynasty. I'd like to hear Vandal and Civplayahs' take on this.

I guess anything could happen. According to the rules in the 1st Dynasty Game the Emperor had to keep an approval rating of atleast 50%. If he did not he was overthrown and a new Emperor was chosen. It is a simple system, no massive elections every couple weeks, no bureaucracy, just do a good job with the Empire or else. I think it will be good for the game to tweak the rules and add some flavor but I don't think we should over-complicate it.

Once we get the rules down I'll post the game thread.

Imperial Dynasty Game II

FIRST DRAFT
This is the first draft and needs work, I just wanted to give us something to work with. All aspects of these rules are up for debate!

Emperor
The Emperor is the player in control of the turnsessions. His dynasty lasts as long as he holds favor in the Empire. When he is crowned Emperor he holds a 100% approval rating. He holds his favor by acquiring Imperial tributes from the family houses. As long as he gains tribute from 50% or more of the Families he remains Emperor. If the Emperial tributes fall below 50% he is overthrown and stripped of his crown. After each turn session the Familes have 48 hours to pay tribute. This is done by a simple post from the heads of the families in the game thread.

Regent (to the Empire)
The Regent is appointed by the 1st Emperor and is his rightful successor. Should the Emperor not be able to fulfill his duties for any reason, the Regent will fulfill his obligations. Just as an Emperor can be overthrown, the regent can be overthrown while fulfilling the Emperors duties. If he fails to gain 50% or more of the Families tributes' the Empire enters a state of Rebellion.

Rebellion
Once an Emperor (or Regent) is overthrown the empire enters a state of rebellion. The Regent then creates a Rebellion poll (within 48 hours) to crown a new Emperor. The Regent is to list the names of the Families in the poll. The head of the Family with the majority of votes is then named Emperor. In the event of a tie, a run-off poll with the 2 families will determine the winner. While the Empire is in a state of rebellion the turn-session rules are suspended until a new Emperor is named.

Family Houses
Would like more dicussion on the issue.

Governors and Generals
Would like more dicussion on the issue.

Turn Session Rules (according to standard game speed)
  • The Emperor must play atleast 5 turns and a maximum of 15 turns per session.
  • The Emperor must play a minimum of 10 turns and a maximum of 20 turns per week.
  • If the Emperor cannot play a turnsession for any reason the Regent will play it in his absense and also fulfill his post-turnsession obligations..
  • A save file must be posted within 24 hours of the turnsession.
  • An Emperor report must be published within 48 hours of each turn session. This report must include all relevant data and informative screenshots.

Memoirs
After a dynasty the Emperor is encouraged to write a brief history of his dynasty. These memoirs would then be added to the Chronicles in our Imperial Library.

Platform
Civ4 BTS 3.19? (any objections)

Leaderhead and Civilization
To Be Determined

Gamesettings
TBD

Sign-up by posting in the sign-up thread. (to be posted once we post the game thread)

Players:
Lord Civius
Vandal Warlord
Civplayah
Draknith

Civius-

Loving it!

I was doing some thinking about some of the options we were discussing yesterday. If you wouldn't mind, I would be more than happy to develop the family houses concept to where we can implement it accordingly. Of course I would love to have everyone's input after I create a rough draft. I have utilized it in my solo games as a means of RPGing, but I think that it could really blossom into something great with a game like this.

I was thinking that the governors would actualy be the heads of houses, hence each new city would be in theory run by one of the families and in the case there aren't enough players, the Emperor would designate another family to control it, or would just make up a governor's name.

Generals could be on the other hand actually controlled by a player. They would make the decisions to either follow the Emperors plans, or not. This could create a more realistic battle feel as generals had to make decisions on their own in the field of battle. Also, it could create controversy which would heighten the RPG possibilities of the game.

I like the imperial pay clause where the family heads give their vote of confidence in the Emperor. One question though, will the game play all the way up thru the ages, or do we simply play until a certain age?

All in all, I think this could be a great concept. Let me know what other areas you would like input in, or if you would rather I keep my nose out of things.

Plus, I am running the latest patch, so I would suggest we all utilize that. And in fact if you guys wanted to use the Legends of Revolution MOD I would be in agreement. It is quite honestly one of the best MODS I have ever used, and I think that it would create an even more appealing setting for our game. They have a light version that is not too demanding on systems.

Thanks

I like your ideas about Governors and Generals. Another thing to consider is how much control does the Governor have over his city? Does he simply dictate city management and build queues or does he control all the land around the city (BFC) too. Just some things for us to consider. I'd love to see your rough draft concerning the families and Governors. All ideas are always welcome so we encourage you to put your nose in all things here :goodjob: .

Concerning Generals,
I think each Family should be given units to fly under their banner, though a bulk of the military should remain under the control of the Emperor. Perhaps all units built in a Families city could go under the command of the Families General(s). Possibly require the Familes to give the Emperor some units as part of their tribute. My original idea for adding Generals was for RP purposes but I like where we are going with them.

Plus, I am running the latest patch, so I would suggest we all utilize that. And in fact if you guys wanted to use the Legends of Revolution MOD I would be in agreement. It is quite honestly one of the best MODS I have ever used, and I think that it would create an even more appealing setting for our game. They have a light version that is not too demanding on systems.

I am running the latest patch bts 3.19. I am running my computer at full capacity and can't afford to install any Mods :( .

Okee Dokee. So here's some of my begining ideas on the houses...

First off, the Emperor should have complete control over every decision that is ultimatly played. That being said, an emperor just like kings could not rule without approval by the nobility, hence why I'm liking the idea of rebellions.

As for the houses:

For my desire, the houses are the platforms where most of the discussions take place, and are the 'nobels' that allow an Emperor to take the throne and hold onto power.

To answer a couple of the questions from above:
The houses wouldn't necessarily have more power than the emperor, since the emperor is the one actually making all final decisions. Each family would be the faux rulers of a city. They can give input into what they would like their cities to build and develop, but ultimatly the emperor decides. I don't think there should be governors and family heads, but rather the family heads are the governors of city(s). The role of the houses are support lines for the emperor. They deem whether an emperor is worth keeping around (vote of confidence) or should be de-throned (vote of no confidence). If too many votes of no confidence (more than 50%) are given a rebellion would occur, and the houses would each put forth a new candidate for emperor, eventually voted on by the family heads.

The organization of the government would be as such:

Emperor
- Makes all final decisions.
- Creates the various legislation that occurs in the game.
- Plays the turn sets

Head of Houses
- The individuals who can take the throne.
- Place votes of confidence to the emperor after each turn set.
- Place votes for or against emperors policies (declaring war or making peace)

Generals
- Players chosen by the emperor from the various houses (not the heads) to take the role of conducting the war.
- Only one general for each campaign that the emperor initiates.

Individual Players
- The entire human population playing the game
- Organized into houses, where they help put forth suggestions as to the direction the houses should take.
- Can be named generals.
- Can become leaders of their own houses (voted on after each turn set) after either 3 full turnsets, or by decree of the emperor.
- Vote on who should be named heir to the throne (family head) after an emperor leaves (voluntary) or is kicked out (rebellion).

The other idea I've been tossing around in my head is the idea of 'power points'. These would be points that each house recieves after each turnset which in turn equal the amount of votes they can cast on various issues, hence the actual power that afamily can wield. I thought this might be fun because we could see the advent of very powerful familes that can make or break an emperor, and utimatly leads to massive RP between the families as they join together to break the powerful families.

- Each house would be given 100 pts (1 vote) on their inception.
- For every city under a family's control they recieve 50 pts.
- Emperors can grant pts through official decrees to the families (i.e. support of the emperor, sucessful campaigns by a families general, any darn reason at all... etc.)
- A family head has 1 vote per 100 pts. (So if a family has 500 pts it's vote counts as 5 on the various issues. This would represent the power of various real families like the Tutors, or Stuarts and their struggles against each other to gain the throne in England for example.)

Well there's my initial take on some of the concepts I have been thinking about. I would like things to be fairly simple, but complex enough that it generates positive RP options for the various players in order to keep the game alive with debate. Let me know what you think.

Generals-

Generals should be picked by the emperor to lead the armies in individual conflicts. I don't think there should be individual family armies as that may be hard to keep full track of. Also, generals would be in charge of supplying the emperor and the community with battle stats and campaign suggestions. They would be ultimatly in charge of making the battle suggestions which could be a good thing or bad. Good in that if a general pushes for an early attack against a city against the orders of the emperor the city could be taken and lead to a stronger empire, whereby the emperor may grant pts or favors to the general for taking risks and accomplishing goals. Bad in that they can go against the emperor and possibly be kicked out of control of the army. (just more RP possibilities).

All in all the Emperor has total control over everything, but the houses give us players the chance to make opinions, and say, "I didn't vote for that." Leading to a possible run of their own against the Emperor to take the throne by forming alliances with other houses.

I'm fine with patch 3.19. I vote for Lord Civius to be Emperor. I would like to see family houses or something like that.

I love Joao II, and I like the Americans or the Byzantines.

I really like the ideas but lets try and simplify it a little more. I really like the Emperor having complete power of all final decisions. This in effect simplifies the game alot.
Concerning the Families lets break it down to laymens terms.
  • Any player can create a Family House and any player may join his Family.
  • The Emperor may grant a city to a Family where the Families Head (leader) would Govern the city(s).
  • House leaders put forth recommendations concerning management of their city and overall decisions concerning the Empire, however the Emperor makes all final decisions.
  • Houses choose whether or not to pay tribute to the Emperor after each turn-session, choosing not to pay tribute is a vote of no-confidence for the Emperor.
  • During a rebellion the players vote on a new House to lead the Empire, the winning Houses' Leader is then crowned Emperor.
  • Players are encouraged to RP the hell out of their house :D .

Is that about it Draknith? Let me know if I left anything out.
While I like the idea of a point system I think it is unnecessary. The nubmer of players that join a house should get 1 vote each so let the power of a house come from its number of members. Other than that I really like the ideas.

civplayah

I'm fine with patch 3.19. I vote for Lord Civius to be Emperor. I would like to see family houses or something like that.

I love Joao II, and I like the Americans or the Byzantines.

Well thank you Civplayah. Once we get the rules ironed out we can get started with the platforms. I suggest if a player wants to run for first emperor he should have to create a house.

Well I figured that Civius would be the first emperor anyway. If you guys want, I will go ahead and write up the pre-story once we get everything figured out. I'm fine with you being first regent civplayah, but I will have to lead the opposition against you should you fail!!! HAHAHA

Civius-

The only thing I would want to change would be that only the current Emperor can allow a player to create a new house. That way we push new players to the game to join a house and role play and make suggestions before they become leaders. Also, that way we can keep the house numbers smaller, members of houses larger, and induce a better internal family voting system for heads.

Therefore, only the players who initially start the game (the 4 players currently on the board) have houses at the begining, and as the game progresses we can add more houses (and maybe loose houses...) based upon an Emperor. Afterall an Emperor with low approval ratings may want to create more houses with individuals loyal to him (like in real life) to offset the disloyal houses. Then the disloyal houses can unite to usurp the loyal houses and the Emperor, leading to even more RP fun!!!

OK I'll post a new draft of the rules to include the houses and governor/generals tonight. Also I would'nt count Vandal out on becoming 1st Emperor he is great at team games!

Imperial Dynasty Game II

ROUGH DRAFT
This is the rough draft of the rules. Please post any concerns you have so we can get any tweaks worked out. The next draft will be the final draft of the rules.

Emperor
The Emperor is the player in control of the turnsessions. His dynasty lasts as long as he holds favor in the Empire. When he is crowned Emperor he holds a 100% approval rating. He holds his favor by acquiring Imperial tributes from the family houses. As long as he gains tribute from 50% or more of the Families he remains Emperor. If the Emperial tributes fall below 50% he is overthrown and the Empire enters a state of rebellion. After each turn session the Familes have 48 hours to pay tribute. This is done by a simple post from the leaders of the families in the game thread. A non-post from any family House will be considered as a tribute to the Emperor.

Regent (to the Empire)
The Regent is appointed by the Emperor and is his rightful successor. Should the Emperor not be able to fulfill his duties for any reason, the Regent will become acting Emperor. Just as an Emperor can be overthrown, so can the regent. If he fails to gain 50% or more of the Families tributes' after his turn-session, the Empire enters a state of Rebellion.

Rebellion
Once an Emperor (or Regent) is overthrown the empire enters a state of rebellion. The Regent then creates a Rebellion poll (within 48 hours) to crown a new Emperor. The Regent is to list the names of all Families in the poll. All registered Citizens may vote in the Rebellion poll. The head of the Family with the majority of votes is then named Emperor. In the event of a tie, a run-off poll with the 2 families will determine the winner. While the Empire is in a state of rebellion the turn-session rules are suspended until a new Emperor is named.

Family Houses
The Family Houses are the platforms where most of the discussions take place, and are the 'Nobles' that allow an Emperor to take the throne and hold onto power.
  • Any citizen may choose to join a Family House but can only create one with permission from the Emperor. However before the 1st Emperor is chosen any citizen may create a Family House.
  • Family Houses elect a leader from within their ranks to head the Family.
  • The Emperor may grant cities to a Family House wherein the Families Leader would be the faux Governer of the city(s).
  • Family Houses put forth recommendations concerning management of their city(s) and overall decisions concerning the Empire, however the Emperor makes all final decisions.
  • Family Houses choose whether or not to pay tribute to the Emperor after each turn-session, choosing not to pay tribute is a vote of no-confidence for the Emperor.
  • Players are encouraged to RP the hell out of their Family Houses :D .

Generals
Generals are Military advisors to the Emperor and can be chosen (by the Emperor) to lead our armies in individual conflicts and campaigns. They would act as Designated Players during times of war and hold complete authority of all decisions during their turn-session. Any citizen can be named a General by the Emperor. Emperors may also grant Generals "titles" or "merits" for their service to the Empire.

Turn Session Rules (according to standard game speed)
  • The Emperor must play atleast 5 turns and a maximum of 15 turns per session.
  • The Emperor must play a minimum of 10 turns and a maximum of 30 turns per week.
  • If the Emperor cannot play a turnsession for any reason the Regent will play it in his absense and also fulfill his post-turnsession obligations..
  • A save file must be posted within 24 hours of the turnsession.
  • An Emperor report must be published within 48 hours of each turn session. This report must include all relevant data and informative screenshots.

Memoirs
After a dynasty the Emperor is encouraged to write a brief history of his dynasty. These memoirs would then be added to the Chronicles in our Imperial Library.

Platform
Civ4 BTS 3.19

Leaderhead and Civilization
Civilization will be chosen during the game setting process. Leaderhead will be chosen when we crown our first Emperor. All Family House platforms for 1st Emperor must include a Civ Leader so choose wisely.

Gamesettings
polls will be created once the final draft of the rules is complete.

Sign-up by posting in the sign-up thread (to be created once we post the game thread) to become a citizen.

Players thus far:
Lord Civius
Vandal Warlord
Civplayah
Draknith

Top Bottom