2.8/ModMod Suggestion - "Require Roads"

As per popular request, I have merged Shqype's route restricter with Jooyo and my SDK. I have other projects I'm busy on, so I felt that I would leave the actual modding to other capable hands.

Here's a demo of what it can do, the CoreDLL and Schemas. If you want to modify/create other units that are restricted to routes, use the unitinfoschema I provided, along with the CoreDLL. The CoreDll is the latest version, meaning it also includes all of jooyo's changes (1.18) and all of mine, even the mountains mod.

View attachment 223365

Have fun modding.

As for the water routes, I was thinking about this the other day as well. Is it at all possible to manually place where your culture expands? I was thinking about using expanding culture to create sea lines. So when London created its next culture increase, you could create a line going to the New World that would give added movement bonuses to ships.
As for the manual placement of culture, I felt that if you were placing them manually there should be a penalty. Perhaps of every five squares of culture you would have received, you are only allowed to manually place one expanding territory culture square.

I am unfortunately, having no luck implementing this to my satisfaction.

The problem is:

If you set "Requires Route" to a unit, it then requires that route for all terrain/features.

This doesn't make sense, and what I really wanted was a setting that specified a route required for a SPECIFIC terrain.

For example:

What I wanted:
- All Cavalry needed a cart path to enter a forest or jungle
- Cavalry do not need any route to enter a "flat" terrain (plains, desert)

What this can do:
- All Cavalry need a cart path to enter any tile

The granularity just isn't there to give any realism to the differences between the units. I could still do some semblance of it, but it makes no sense for, for another example, modern tanks to need a road of any kind to cross an open desert.

I'll keep trying to find a solution. Might be able to work something out by modifying terrain info as well as units...

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Top Bottom