2 ideas: Embarkment of units (and foreign military bases)

migkillertwo

Prince
I know this is my second thread in a day but I wanted to share two ideas that I feel have sound historical and gameplay motivations.

The first idea regards embarkment. If you ask me, embarkment in Civ 5 was kind of lame: it's hard to abstract the idea that your civ just happens to have enough ships waiting to embark as many land units as you want. I thought it was a lot more tolerable than in Civ 3 and 4 where you had to actually build a transport ship just to move guys from one continent to another, but there has to be some kind of limit.

My suggestion is this: [with the exception of marine units and others whose explicit purpose is to launch amphibious invasions] require units to be on a coastal city or a harbor district in order to embark.

In Civ 5 this would have been a major hurdle because it was very easy to have a massive 8+ city civilization with only one or two coastal cities. In Civ 6 however this is no longer as onerous since harbor districts allow the construction of ships for non-coastal cities.

The historical motivation seems obvious enough: amphibious landings are really, really difficult, and cargo ships can only be unloaded in a port. If the real world were similar to Civ 5, China's amphibious power would be on par with ours. In reality, they only have enough landing craft to invade a small island. If you want to conduct a foreign war, you need to control a port.

Further, I would also allow the embarkment and disembarkment on enemy ports as long as they are not occupied by an enemy unit.

This sort of brings me to my next idea: foreign military bases. So much foreign policy decisions by the "great powers" (USA, Russia, UK, France, etc.) is motivated by the establishment and protection of foreign military bases. The obvious reason is that this allows rapid deployment of conventional forces and allows for power projection abroad. Many small wars throughout America's history from the 1800s until the present were started in order to build "Coaling Stations" (refueling stops) for ships on patrol.

Russia also recently launched two wars in the Crimea and Syria to protect its own naval bases in Sevestopol and Tartus respectively.

Foreign military bases in our age are the mark of a great empire.

So here's how the mechanic would work: starting in the industrial era when negotiating with city states and other civilizations, you may ask to build one of two kinds of military bases: airports and naval bases. These bases will take up one tile and be constructed sort of like a district. When asking for a military base, you pick a hexagon and haggle over that particular hex.

Naval bases would allow the embarkment and disembarkment of units from the sea. Airports would allow civs to airlift up to one unit per turn from another airport district.

Nice idea.

But if you want to invade a contenient that doesn't have a naval port how well you get onto the country? I assume then builders would be able to disembark in order to make the naval base.

Secondly I think when asking other nations or ports should just give access to their harbor. It be easier than every civ having to ask for a separate naval base.

Third, how will congestion be mitigated? If 20 units have to move through one harbor that'll take forever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice idea.

But if you want to invade a contenient that doesn't have a naval port how well you get onto the country? I assume then builders would be able to disembark in order to make the naval base.

Presumably, the AI will also want to have coastal cities and ports, so there wouldn't be any plausible scenarios where there are no ports on the "enemy" continent"

Secondly I think when asking other nations or ports should just give access to their harbor. It be easier than every civ having to ask for a separate naval base.

That might be a good idea. So I guess there has to be some other feature to foreign naval bases. Perhaps allow ships to garrison and heal there, or some other feature. I mean there's a reason we have bases in Saudi Arabia and don't just use civilian ports to load troops and vehicles.

Third, how will congestion be mitigated? If 20 units have to move through one harbor that'll take forever

That's a feature, not a bug. There should be limits on how many units can load and unload in a port. Maybe not make it as tedious as Civ 3 and 4, but it shouldn't be as effortless as Civ 5.

Presumably, the AI will also want to have coastal cities and ports, so there wouldn't be any plausible scenarios where there are no ports on the "enemy" continent"

That might be a good idea. So I guess there has to be some other feature to foreign naval bases. Perhaps allow ships to garrison and heal there, or some other feature. I mean there's a reason we have bases in Saudi Arabia and don't just use civilian ports to load troops and vehicles.

That's a feature, not a bug. There should be limits on how many units can load and unload in a port. Maybe not make it as tedious as Civ 3 and 4, but it shouldn't be as effortless as Civ 5.

For the disembarking without a port will be a real concern. How will you conquer an island if you can't get on it?

Some various fixes:

Settler, builder, and military engineer can disembark without a naval base/harbor.
Or units receive a 70 percent health decrease when disembarking onto the coast severely limiting it.

Secondly, for the use of a separate naval base. Honestly unless they modify naval combat heavily, I can't think of a case for using a separate naval base.

Lastly, for the feature of limiting units... Hmmm. I guess it'll work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps...

Units require a harbor/coastal city/naval base OR naval military ship on the tile to embark (so that you can rescue troops if you have a fleet)

Units that disembark through a harbor/coastal city/naval base (or with amphibious promotion) start with full movement
Units that don't lose 50% of their current hp (before any attack) and lose all movement

It really seems like it would be better to just go back to the cIV version and just build transport boats again. I mean, you could then also build land transport units as well that would allow for the ease of movement that comes with stacking while still letting them enforce the normal 1upt rules once the units are off loaded.

Unless somehow the slow and meticulous crawl managing several units across your own territory/the ocean is a core design feature, this would only be for the best.

Top Bottom