(2-NS) Shoshone civilian units +1 movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma_kuh

King
while I like the idea [Give +1 movement to starting settler], I think I'd rather see this as a civ-specific bonus.
This is kinda Shoshone's thing that their capital always immediately has access to all nearby good tiles.

Proposal: Add "Workers, settlers, and other civilian land units gain +1 movement." to Great Expanse, the Shoshone UA.

Rationale: Shoshone cities have a habit of taking over all nearby resources, to the point where founding neighboring cities can feel wasteful of the Great Expanse bonus. Letting their settlers walk a little faster helps them utilize their UA a little better, and gives their starting settler a unique advantage when founding the capital.

Not a focus, but it also lets workers without Organization (+1 movement speed) still setup Encampments in open terrain without missing a turn of building, or camps in forests, and lets Great Persons plant their improvements with a little more freedom.

Mostly this is a fun, unique bonus to give a civ that seems to lack direction.

Last edited:
Want to note that my rome rework also proposes a buff for Shoshone. I proposed to move Rome's free tiles on conquest to the Shoshone, since they also get the free tiles on settle.

Also, Shoshone's bonus CS in home territory was increased to +20% last version

I like the move of tiles on conquest as well. I sort of like Shoshone as kind of a forward-settling aggro civ, where you can try to use your "home territory" offensively. They aren't like Spain or Russia where the extra tiles actually do much beyond just staking out territory, so even if they pick up the tiles from conquest it seems more like a thematic buff than a mechanical one.

It's unfortunate that "Expansion" flavour is currently tied to Authority for the AI, making them almost always pick Authority for Shoshone. Progress is a better tree for passive aggressiveness, AND that helps them keep up with improvements with all the tiles they have.

It's unfortunate that "Expansion" flavour is currently tied to Authority for the AI, making them almost always pick Authority for Shoshone. Progress is a better tree for passive aggressiveness, AND that helps them keep up with improvements with all the tiles they have.
So give the Civilization Progress Flavors instead. Do you find that progress civs don't expand with the flavors they have?

Or give Progress an expansion flavor.

Its a fine concept for a civ, do we think the shoshone need the buff, or should this countered with a nerf elsewhere?

I really like this change. Sounds extremely fun.

No idea if compensatory nerfs are needed

How many people play with Ancient Ruins? I used to play with them every game, haven't been for a few games, I know they're disabled for the data samples of AI games, which probably affects Shoshone's power at least a little. I'm not saying choosing ruins should go, but if people wouldn't miss it that seems like a potential cut. But it is fun, if a little pre-determined.

I certainly wouldn’t miss it. I play with ruins and I actually like the randomness. The Shoshone not only take away a piece of acceptable RNG, but they replace it with extra button clicks.

well, I would miss it. Half the time I pick Shoshone I do it specifically for that perk

Proposal: Add "Workers, settlers, and other civilian land units gain +1 movement." to Great Expanse, the Shoshone UA.

Rationale: Shoshone cities have a habit of taking over all nearby resources, to the point where founding neighboring cities can feel wasteful of the Great Expanse bonus. Letting their settlers walk a little faster helps them utilize their UA a little better, and gives their starting settler a unique advantage when founding the capital.

Not a focus, but it also lets workers without Organization (+1 movement speed) still setup Encampments in open terrain without missing a turn of building, or camps in forests, and lets Great Persons plant their improvements with a little more freedom.

Mostly this is a fun, unique bonus to give a civ that seems to lack direction.
I'll vote for this.

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom