[BNW] 2 tile bridges?

yepzer

Chieftain
hi all, especially @LeeS and @whoward69 :)

How can I make a mod that allows bridges to span multiple tiles? I have tried, based on the following mods:

Based on the last mod, I disabled <RequiresXAdjacentLand>2</RequiresXAdjacentLand>. Based on the first I removed all mentions of a canal, and then removed <NoTwoAdjacent>true</NoTwoAdjacent>.

The pontoon bridge 1 tile renders fine, as seen in image 1. Both in image 2 and 3 the bridge is there - but doesn't render. Image 1 and 2 is from my simple mod (attached). Image 3 is from the mod by @whoward69 and has the road, which is nice, but not completely what I was aiming for.

I did have to disable some of the lua though to get the free placement of bridges, but it never solved the rendering.

Any tricks? Has this been pursued previously?

thank you again

/yepzer

Attachments

• bridge1.JPG
    bridge1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 68
  • bridge2.JPG
    bridge2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 66
  • bridge3.JPG
    bridge3.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2step brigde (v 1).civ5mod
    1.9 KB · Views: 41
As you don't build a one-tile pontoon bridge from tile a to tile c, but you just build it in tile b and the graphics engine anchors it between any two beach sides, for a two-tile pontoon bridge (A-B-C-D) how would the graphics engine know how to render a pontoon bridge in tile b when tile c is water (or how to render the one in tile c when tile b is water)?

It would have been nice if Firaxis had allowed for such things, but there's so much in the game which is "just good enough for what Firaxis need" with no regard to how modders could have used it :(

Last edited:
Appreciate your thoughts on this. and the fast response :)

While the canal mod mentioned above can paint canals on adjacent tiles, the result is random at best - so no help there. see below

I considered something like this, as a pseudo algorithm for "build bridge" action for tile x:
find anchor a: loop adjacent tiles - if it's land exit tile position; if there's a bridge exit tile position.
find anchor b: loop adjacent tiles (besides a, a-1, a+1) - if it's land exit tile position; if there's a bridge exit tile position.
(deduct outcomes of too much land around)
paint between a and b.​

but as everything is redrawn all the time, it would be quite heavy on performance, not only at build time.
Also it would have to be be a separate "system" as with roads: T-roads and X-roads and variations of the same.

At least with the variation based on your mod, there's a road line. That's "good enough" given the options. thanks' again

Attachments

• bridges.JPG
    bridges.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom