(2-VT) New Bonus Resource: Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a recolor of the Truffles assets be able to piggy back on animation files as well, or would this result in static hogs?

Would a recolor of the Truffles assets be able to piggy back on animation files as well, or would this result in static hogs?
No one has figured out how to do that, to my knowledge. I think you would have to export the animations and re-rig it.

The examples of animated resources I have seen done before was stuff like the feathers resource, which used the fish model (which has seagulls circling above it), and took advantage of the land/forest cover to obscure the fish animations underneath. It worked, but it technically wasn't a new model, it was an existing model in a different place.

Last edited:
I would like to try if you go on the idea. In any case, I like the idea of adding a camp resource.
I prefer a mine bonus resource, which fits with +production and doesn't require animation.

I prefer a mine bonus resource, which fits with +production and doesn't require animation.
Why not but I find that something is really missing in the jungles, the start of the game in the jungle is always very difficult, cruel lack of resources outside the plantations which cut the jungles. A camp resource (or logging camp) would be really nice.

No please, we don't need more mine resources. Although a mine bonus resource is a nice thing, EMR has one (Lead resource). But it's not solving the problem of Jungle lacking production resources.

I would probably propose Hardwood at the next proposal phase, Lumber Mills/Logging Camps clearly lack resources to be improved, and it can appear on Jungle.
Let the Deers be a production at the early game on Jungles. (If the proposal passed)

We have a modeler who can help us (ghost toast), but we don't have an animator. So unless you want to learn how to animate Civ V models using janky software, then no.
You can use existing animation with another texture, which is easier to be done.

No please, we don't need more mine resources. Although a mine bonus resource is a nice thing, EMR has one (Lead resource). But it's not solving the problem of Jungle lacking production resources.

I would probably propose Hardwood at the next proposal phase, Lumber Mills/Logging Camps clearly lack resources to be improved, and it can appear on Jungle.
Let the Deers be a production at the early game on Jungles. (If the proposal passed)
Why not? It already starts with +1 production, so the tile would be 2f2p or 3f1p.

Lumber Mills and Logging Camps are way too late for bonus/luxury resources.

Deers don't give production until lodge.

If the problem is just turn 1 :c5production: Then a lumber resource does the job while also adding diversity. If the issue is turn X production then lodge/deers exist and this is not a problem. In either case bonus resources aren’t unlocked on turn 1 so nothing actually changes.

I think people focus too much on the first 50 turns of the game, trying to make every start the same, to the detriment of the rest of the game. That’s just’ me tho.

Last edited:

You can easily get a lodge before you get a mine, so this seems contradictory.

In jungles, camps come up much sooner than mines; you don't need Calendar to clear the jungles. Unless you're talking about revealing the bonus resource at Metal Casting (the tech for Lumber Mills), that would be late. I can see the argument for luxury resources though. We can also add Ivory to jungles, if we wanted to aim at luxuries.

If the problem is just turn 1 :c5production: Then a lumber resource does the job while also adding diversity. If the issue is turn X production then lodge/deers exist and this is not a problem. In either case bonus resources aren’t unlocked on turn 1 so nothing actually changes.
The problem with turn X production is that lodge/deer don't do anything for jungle starts, they only work for forests.
If you're speaking to introducing boar specifically, as opposed to the counter proposal for deer, then yes we can just use deer instead, get the camps with production, and be in a better place than we are in the current patch.

Last edited:
I can respect the idea of buffing up jungles a bit, they can be quite bad. However, do we really need more production in forests? I recognize that boars do exist in forest, but gameplay wise do we really need that?

Maybe not, but we have bananas in jungles too, when they're already heavy on food. I'm not dead-set on boars being in forests, mechanically speaking, and if we need to tone that back in ratification, I wouldn't oppose it, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker, and it's too late to modify the proposal (absent any sponsor-level tweaks).

Choosing boars as the resource certainly seems like the high point over the fence.

I'm shaky on even what this is trying to fix, but a new, animated animal resource is the hardest way to do it.

Sorry but this should be vetoed. Rules are very clear, you need to be exact in your proposal, t
The rules include for reasonable interpretations by implementers. Is the expectation that I'm to proof read map scripts, identify how rates are determined for other resources, then suggest an implementation, sight unseen, and hope it's the right number? Finally, I thought sponsorship was the time when lack-of-clarity vetoes are to be considered, with some level of dialogue to work out specifics before just dropping the axe.

Also also, with the lack of art sponsor, it is true that this proposal specifically is dead in the water; I am expecting that at this point, but the jungle deer proposal, which was my original back-up proposal for this problem, is still valid.
After consideration, I agree it should be vetoed.

Sponsorship is not the time for lack-of-clarity vetoes (although it's happening here because I didn't notice at the time). If you lack the knowledge to be specific with your proposal, then make a discussion thread in the main forum to refine your idea before proposing.

Proposal vetoed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom