2X vs Foot 2X vs Wheeled/tracked

DJ_Izumi

Chieftain
This is really late, I know. My third uber simple idea that I think would greatly improve the ability for scenario makers to develop new units, a 2X attack/Defend agianst foot units and 2X attack/defend agianst wheeled units...

The end result would be creating Bazooka infantry that do better agianst tanks and vehicles then they do agianst other infantry.

Machine gunners capable of stopping infantry much better then they would stop vehicles.

These other options could be applied to countless other units as well, like giving specfic aur units the 2X ability agianst wheeled and tracked vehicles (Might make it posable to make 'realistic' attack helicopters, and a real advantage over conventional aircraft)

We're looking at about a day's worth of C++ coding, tops, to include that, so like... don't say it can't happen. :p

A day you say. How about the editor? How about the code to load old saves and scenarios that don't have this flag (in both the editor and the actual game)? How about writing the help file for this new field? How about changes to the AI so that the AI knows whether or not to build any units with this flag? How about the changes to the AI so that computer players know how to effectively use units with this flag? How about the changes to the AI so that computer players know how to effectively use units against units with this flag? How about time to actually test all of this out to make sure it works?

I contend that it would take more than a day.

It is a good idea though. I suggested something similar (but even more extensive) long ago.

At this point, it has to be too late. But I take heart in the belief that we'll have someday.

the AI part of course would take some work, but it can't be all that difficult. it can be done, relatively easily.

Originally posted by Dida
the AI part of course would take some work, but it can't be all that difficult. it can be done, relatively easily.

Sorry, but that's a bit naive. Modifying the AI to handle something like this is not as easy as you think.

Consider your own thought process. Slow it down, and break it down into individual steps and start from there. How many troops of various types would you need? Where would you build them? When you are attacking, do you hold some troops back to prepare for a counterattack? If so which ones? How did you decide that? When attacking, should you use these defensive troops? When and how would you use them?

Anything related to the AI is potentially a bear to code. Anything.

And then you have to test...

-- Ravensfire

As was pointed out in another thread, recently, it is too close to the shipping date. At this point, only a heretofore undiscovered critical error would be fixed, and doing THAT would cause a delay in shipping the final product. Certainly no enhancements, no matter how popular, or even demanded, will be considered for this release. I wouldn't even count on it for a patch; those will include only necessary bug fixes.

But perhaps this can become a reality in a future X-Pack, or maybe Civ4 .... :)

I believe at the chat they said they wished to do something like this but didn't have time (maybe I read it wrong, though)

Come on they woudln't need to fix the AI to deal with this.

Doesn't ANYONE else remember the goold ole days of enemy knights attacking our pikement and dying again and again and again in Civ II?

I belive that orginally coding the AI to know specficly what to do with each unit is foolish, it would also fail to explain why the AI can utalize custom units that get added in. Use logic people. :p

Most likely, the AI simply looks at it's battle options (if even) calculates his potential for victory, and the importance of the battle (like, is the battle part of taking over the city?) and then decides based simply on the numbers. As for the AI knowing where to 'place' the units, that's done in the editor with the AI Stratigy checkmarks, click defensive to defend with it, offensive to attack with it, simple as that.

Remember kids, 'A.I.' is short for 'Artifical Stupidity'. :)

This is certainly a good idea, which is why it's been around for a long time and was specifically dealt with previously. To quote:
<Thunderfall> from LouLong: Can we have unit classes with bonuses/malus against other classes (ie anti-tank vs tanks) ?
<Merepatra> there aren't any bonuses against specific units implemented.
<Firaxis-Ed> Although there is now anti-air units
<Firaxis_Jesse> unit counters is a huge gameplay mechanic we are interested in for the future
So, yes, it looks likely that we can expect to see this ability down the road at some point; no, it will not be in Conquests.

Top Bottom