3.19 dual install question

da_Vinci

Gypsy Prince
Currently, in my Firaxis games folder, my vanilla 1.74, Warlords 2.13 and BtS 3.17 are living in harmony in the Civilization 4 folder and its Warlords and BtS subfolders.

Does the 3.19 patch muck up the common elements in the Civilization 4 folder, or does it just affect the BtS subfolder contents?

If no muck up, then I assume I can just duplicate the BTS subfolder (name one BTS 317), duplicate the my games BTS folder (name one BTS 317) and run the patch.

But if it does muck up the Civilization 4 common elements, then I would need to duplicate the whole Civilization 4 folder, rename one Civilization 4 317, duplicate both BTS and Civ 4 folders in my games (and name one of each to 317) and then run the patch, in order to still be able to run pre 3.19 warlords and vanilla?

Thanks,

dV

I tested the Vanilla installation after I installed 3.19 and it was still able to load and run old GOTMs. It can also run the new GOTM 45. Therefore I conclude that vanilla, at least, is not affected by the 3.19 installation. I have not tested Warlords, but I would be very surprised if the 3.19 patch had any effect on that.

However, I have no idea whether you can rename the BtS folder within your Civ4 software and create a second one. My recommendation is, unless you are desperately short of disk space, just duplicate the entire Civ4 folder and patch one of the pair to v3.19.

I was able to do what you are thinking. I duplicated just my BTS folder and updated to 3.19. I can now run 3.19 and 3.17. I'm running a Warlords PBEM game which seems to be unaffected. I couldn't find any files in the Warlords or Vanilla parts that had new dates. I left have 3.17 in the original path so that double-clicking a BOTM file loads that, and I have an alias pointing to the 3.19 version for when I want to run that.

Top Bottom