1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

4000BC Huts

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Maydrock, Apr 9, 2007.

1. semirami

semirami The Wolf

Worker can produce barbs! It happend to me once.
    In my current game the warior produces strong barbs(3 units), but they didnt attacked him. Yes he was really strong warior(woodsmanI, woodsmanII, combatI, shock and currently at forest hill). This is the first time, when hut barbs dont attack my unit. Does anybody know, whether the barbs estimate their odds(pretty low in the case)?

And one more question. I see, that the hut can give you low gold(something like 27),or high gold(something like 102), but how is determinated the exact ammount? Sometimes it's 27, sometimes 32. The both cases its low.
    When you win a tech, how is determinated which tech? Because its very important. Few examples:

a) I popped Mysticism and had only one turn to research it myself. The hut was absolutely useless.

b) I popped an average tech, like archery. It was good, but not great.

c) More than great. I popped Bronze Working at 3875BC. I was Mansa and had The Wheel too. Yes also copper in the fat cross. You know what's next. I had 2 more capitals at 3025BC, sending only a single axeman to each one. The hut won the game!

2. Refar

Refar Deity

AFAIK You can pop a tech that you have the prerequisites to research. Which one is random.

3. IDave

IDave Chieftain

I'm surprised how few maps there are in the choices. Thats all i ever seem to pop on monarch. One useless map after the next!

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

There are some caveats:
    - You can't pop religion founding techs from huts
    -You can't get nothing above Classical ( (?) not sure here ) era, except Drama and Astronomy

5. JackOfClubs

JackOfClubs Warlord

They definitely do. All AI units have an algorithm which determines whether or not they will attack. I've had several barbs walk away from me when I put a powerful unit next to them, trying to lure them into attacking. This is annoying -- though hardly unfair -- since it forces you to attack them, often at less favorable odds.

But, having said that, I must also say that the threshold for when they won't attack seems to be pretty high. They will often attack forces that are pretty sure to beat them, just not absolutely sure. ;)

6. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

music and astronomy. kind, incredibly smart villagers taught me music the other day and they even knew a way to instantly teleport a Great Artist to my capital! i guess they didn't count as knowing it, even tho they taught it to me, so i got credit for being "the first to discover it". that's unfair, but spiffy! too bad they didn't stick around for me to thank them properly.

7. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Later on in my journey with the Caravel Santa Maria, we encountered another backwards tribe that lived in huts and had almost no clothes on, they taught us how to build a galleon for the journey home.

8. Mannx

Mannx Chieftain

In case anybody is curious, the AI do always run off the Noble list. I checked it by changing it to nothing but Barbarians, starting a Settler game, waiting a while, and putting a lot of huts, some AI warriors and my Spy together on an island.

9. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

this is interesting - I did look through the code yesterday but the goody thing was to much for my :sleep: deprived brain so that I got all :crazyeye: and gave up :cool:

10. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

I like popping huts that early. The only thing I keep forgetting is that there's no chance for a tech until after you build your first city.

11. KMadCandy

i completely missed the intent behind the original question at first, in my excitement to share my free great artist story! actually, only certain techs are poppable, even of the ancient ones. the poppable ones all say "<bGoodyTech>1</bGoodyTech>" in the TechInfos.xml file. a while back, i copy/pasted a list someone posted to the forums of techs you can get from huts. i'm too lazy to check it for myself, so don't come crying to me if it's wrong :p. i'm just posting it because i had it on my hard drive and it might be useful. if anybody does know of any mistakes in it i'd love to be corrected :).

Spoiler :
    The list of poppable techs is:
    Mysticism
    Priesthood
    Monarchy
    Literature
    Aesthetics (in BtS)
    Drama
    Music
    Fishing
    The Wheel
    Agriculture
    Pottery
    Sailing
    Writing
    Mathematics
    Calendar
    Currency
    Astronomy
    Hunting
    Mining
    Archery
    Masonry
    Animal Husbandry
    Bronze Working
    Horseback Riding
    Iron Working
    Metal Casting
    Compass
    Construction
    for today's "you might already know this but i'll type it at no charge" bonus: spies can pop guarded huts. they don't get rid of the guard, he just doesn't see the spy. and they're not guaranteed good results like scouts/explorers are, so you might just pop more barbs. but it's a way to get those annoying guarded huts that you have to cross ocean to reach on caravels. i used to get so frustrated because of course explorers can't attack the guards. so i could never get astronomy out of those huts! not that i usually get astro from villagers, but hey, it's fun to dream, and i have gotten it twice.

if you play with the No Tech Brokering option turned on, you cannot trade techs you learn from villagers. well, that's what the experts told me. i'm too wimpy to play with that on.

12. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

I wish you could pop something like computers. Would have been fun to find a little tribal people all hooked on the internet, sitting around posting in forums all day and "playing computer games" as they would put it.

13. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

I think my barb hut file is corrupted it reads

<goodytype>map_of_worthless_oceans<goodytype>
    <goodytype>map_of_worthless_oceans<goodytype>
    <goodytype>pocket_change<goodytype>

14. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

I have the same problem but with scouts. I just know if I pop a scout in the first hut I end up with 4 or 5 of them. I suppose they make good fog busters on large maps.

15. Ultimocrat

Ultimocrat Warlord

Popping huts with cultural borders should have the possibility of a population-increasing event in the border-expanding city -- e.g. "tribal villagers, inspired by your culture, decide to join the city of Rome" (pop += 1). I'm sure it's in a mod somewhere.

I'm glad they did away with popping a settler from a hut, which happened occasionally in previous versions of Civ -- that was pretty overpowered.

16. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

you still can pop a settler from huts in levels below Noble :mischief:

17. KMadCandy

popping a worker from a hut on settler = time-saving.

popping a worker from a hut on settler when you're playing india = even better (they magically transform into fast workers)

popping a fast worker from a hut on settler when you're playing india and have the "No Barbs" option on = PRICELESS!

Ultimocrat, if i'm at or about to hit happy cap but not yet in slavery, i might not want an extra person just yet!

18. Ultimocrat

Ultimocrat Warlord

So it's potentially a mixed bag -- I think that makes it more interesting. Also, makes for better story telling -- the villagers leave their town in hopes of a glittering shiny beautiful city, but are quickly disillusioned, and foment unrest in the overcrowded streets...

19. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

I remember the good ole days when you would get a city popped....and the corruption made it useless