1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

512meg ram not enough?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by cdcuase, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Khaim

Khaim Prince

You know, saying "you're dumb, it works fine" isn't really constructive. There is a problem, and the so-called minimum and recomended requirements apparently don't work.

For reference, I have 512MB and it's running slowly for me as well.

2. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

With 512, the two smaller maps work OK. I just orderedanother gig, so this problem will go away for me soon enough, but it is annoying when you meet the reccommended requirements, and have double the minimum, and it still is not enough to run properly. ai know the new specs are 512 minimum for XP, but I ordered this last month, and the word at the time was 256 as the minimum.

I need the memory upgrade anyway, and I am now fortunate enough to not have to worry about the money, but I know that is not the case for everyone. You guys have a right to be upset - you've been duped. Unfortunately I think that is now the industry standard.

3. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

I have found that lowering the graphics a notch helps with the in-game slowness quite a bit, but does not prevent the eventual complete freeze as all system resources get tied up. I need to hard boot when that happens - and yes it IS cleared up for a while after that, so I really do think it is a memory boost. I have spent the past 8 years professionally programming, QAing, and DBAing - so I know a thing or two about it.

4. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

on a medium sized map, civ4.exe used > 400 mb memory when i last looked, which would explain why 512 aren't sufficient.
    i have a gig of ram and there is no stuttering in movies or speech.

5. adwilk

adwilk Chieftain

I also have a gig but it starts running slow and then just eventually crashes. This is so annoying. My computer should be able to handle this game with no problem.

6. Locdog

Locdog Chieftain

I have a problem with the gamee and my computer rebooting when i try to play on a Huge Map. Anyone else have this issue?

7. tcwleblanc

tcwleblanc Chieftain

sorry to say that you're wrong i have 3.5 gigs of ram and on the huge map with 12 civs it still boggs down in the end game...playable but very very choppy.

:(

8. Montasque

Montasque Chieftain

I have Athlon 1800+ 1.5gig
    725 meg of ram
    256mb raedon card.

The game runs smooth as hell, huge map, full civs, graphics on highest settings.... BUT around 1700's it starts to just freeze, and or shut off. Last time it turned my monitor off.........

There is something very wrong with this game :lol:

I'm sure there will be a patch soon enough though.

9. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but when my computer crashes and I restart it, I notice the CPU temperature is near 70 celsius, which is around the temp the BIOS and/or CPU shuts down to avoid meltdown.

I think this is another problem in addition to the memory leak and may be related.

10. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

AMD athlon xp 2000 1.1 overclocked to 1.5
    512mb of ram
    Nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb

with some tweaks and twists to graphics and all background stuff turned off i can get the game to run really good for 4-5 turns on a huge map then i get a 6-10 min. ( long enough to smoke a cig) pause where nothing happens and if i dont exit and try to go to the next turn it will crash in that turn. i run it in a window so i can go to start and restart. and i get the programme not responding prompt. i know i dont have the best system for playing but why would this happen time after time.

11. tegilbor

tegilbor Chieftain

I have 1 gig of RAM on an otherwise fairly standard system (no overclocking or any other weird tweaks) with all new drivers. I played the "Ice Age" scenario, and after a while (when I had discovered quite a bit of the map), the game started messing around on the harddrive whenever I scrolled around on the map.

The worst thing happened when I traded world map information with another civ which had discovered the whole map. The game was stuck for several minutes while working on the harddrive. Now, every time I open the military advisor to see where my units are, it takes about a minute to open it with major harddrive accesses. I suspect that the maps take up a HUGE amount of memory in the program, or there is really a memory leak.

Either way, on my box, it says 256 minimum, 512 recommended, and I have 1 gig - so what gives?

12. BlueBomberDude

BlueBomberDude Chieftain

It's done that to me... and it's also dumped me to the desktop and wiped out all my settings leaving me with a god awful video display setting of 800x600 with low quality colors. Very weird.

13. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

I get huge slowdown and and endless load time at the mid to end game and a long wait at the end of a turn , This is the 16th thread I havew seen on a few different forums all with the same or a similar complaint. This needs to be fixed. Its a problem it seems for the majority of owners of the game . Whens the patch going to come out tp fix it ?

14. cdcuase

cdcuase Warlord

Yeah, even at the lowest settings the CPU processing is alarmingly high! My poor processor!

My vid card can handle the graphics (low and high settings), but the CPU usage is starting to scare me. I play civ for hours at a time, and having that much heat on the processor for that long is, um, not good, right?

And sorry if this is going on a tangent, but is there any way to get the low settings any lower? At the lowest possible I still see unneeded animations like the trees moving and the water hitting the shorelines. These certainly take up some amount of processing power.

I certainly hope they fix this (these) problems. I still play the game but I don't want to be playing knowing that with each successive game I'm shortening my computers life by a certain amount

15. tcwleblanc

tcwleblanc Chieftain

i actually had that happen to me in Farcry (i think) when it was first released and it WAS a memory leak and it was pached and fixed.

so hopefully this is the only huge technical problem that they can quickly clear up very soon

16. Myartar

Myartar Yeah, I'm back

No, it's not enough.

I'm running 512 as well, and I can't get huge games to run pretty much at all. Huge save games take at least 10 minutes to load, and 4 or 5 minutes between turns only 30 turns into the game. On a large, like everyone else, once most of the map is revealed, every action just lags up. Reeeeeeeeally annoying.

17. tegilbor

tegilbor Chieftain

It's not only the wait between the turns. I could sort of live with that. The annoying thing is the slowness of the user interface. I should be able to add 10 buildings to the building queue of my new city within a few seconds, but no - after clicking a button for a building, I have to wait a second or two before the mouse click registers, then I can select the next one, etc. I mean, what's that all about? I doubt that the game needs to perform highly complex calculations just to add a building to the city's build queue. It makes managing a large amount of cities very tedious.

18. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

what about the military advisor screen on my computer towards the end of a game it takes about 10 minutes to open and about 5 to close and if you've got half an hour to spare try changing the screen resolution:rolleyes:

2800+ sempron
    512MB Ram (448)
    Radeon X200 64MB Shared

19. diamon

diamon Chieftain

A simple suggestion.... Either in this thread or another one, anyone seeing the constantly-growing Civ4 application should post the type and version of the drivers for their video card and sound card. My bet (if a memory leak) is one of those two.

I've just started playing Civ4 today so I can't say anything about slowdowns, but I don't have any slowness at the year 2080BC in a Standard-size world at least.

SuicideMW, with a CPU temp that high you need to get that down. Clean your system and case fans, make sure IDE cables aren't blocking the CPU fan, and maybe clean the CPU and Heatsink as well as you can and use some Arctic Silver III or better as a thermal compound on the processor. You may have a bad or insufficient heatsink as well, so if all else fails, replace the heatsink and fan. I try VERY hard to avoid CPU temps over 55C for P4, or 60C for AMD, and set all my systems to shutdown at 70C. My P4 3.0Ghz runs at 42-45C in Civ4, but I have to admit to having a very nice heatsink.

(And as an aside, OH MY, this game is VERY nice! No sleep for me this week!)

Memory: 512Mb
    Video: GeForce FX Go5200, version 6.7.8.1, dated 12/10/2004
    Sound: Integrated Intel SoundMAX card, version 5.12.1.5160, dated 6/23/2004

20. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

I've already cleaned the system and I have some Arctic Silver V and a nice big heatsink coming via UPS soon. I have sufficient cooling in my system and always take care of my PC.

The temperature for the CPU, at most, goes up to around 52C, and that's when I'm running programs needing lots of processing power, like Photoshop. When it comes to this game and Fable, it seems the memory and processing power gets the life sucked out of them. That's when the temp goes up.

But I'll allieviate the problem soon enough. Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it.