5cc rules and advice

dark_pretender

Warlord
I have made a search for 5cc but I havent found any rules on this, im interested in playing, well trying a 5cc at monarch lvl but the only thing I know about this is that the player is allowed to have only 5 cities:rolleyes: so any advice and if there is already a post with the rules will be apreciated

For a private game, you can decide the rules yourself. For example, some people will play a "loose" 5CC where they allow themselves to capture cities, or accept them is peace treaties, then abandon them before the end of the turn. This can allow the building of more than one army, for example.

Arathorn has posted a comprehensive guide to variants and gives some comments about them.

I don't have a great deal of experience with 5CC, but I always played them strict (i.e. without taking temporary cities). I've done space, diplo and culture wins up to Emperor this way but conquest has always proved too much work.

The main thing is that it's going to be easier to do anything on a smaller map with 5CC than on a larger one, and probably easier to work on a pangea map than a continents, and easier on continents than arch.

But, basically, 5CC means what it says - player can only have 5 cities. That *does* cause issues, however, in strategy...

Some of the advice I would offer is
Wide spacings for the core five cities. cxxxxc is reasonable since you want the full 21 tiles.
Focus on infrastructure early and give into all demands.
Trade, trade, trade even sell your resources for techs even if it means you do without. Build colonies whenever you can.

This was a 5cc game, large map, deity and space only VC.
Quite a game and loads of fun.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=170795

Some of the advice I would offer is
Wide spacings for the core five cities. cxxxxc is reasonable since you want the full 21 tiles.]

It depends a bit on map size, but even Cxxx(x)xxC could be reasonable on a large map. Not only do you want 21 tiles, you want the best combination of 21 tiles you can get.

The big advantage of a 5CC (on larger maps anyway) is that you can potentially trade one lux resource for the 7 others, plus huge soms of GPT, plus tech, etc.
This is because those 7 lux amount to a maximum of 95 happy faces in your empire, while larger empires could get much more happy faces with just one lux.

In one 5CC I played on a huge map (monarch diff) I was able to run 100% SCI, while other civ payed for my unit and building upkeep, plus enough more that I could rush-buy stuff for a while. During the entire middle ages I was ahead in tech.

nice, thanks for ur answers guys... ill have ur suggestions in mind and ill read the articles u recommend, since im going to travel tonight I guess ill save some of those articles on word to read em during my travel ;)

Hail everyone!
So the 5CC is just a self imposed set of rules to make the game more challenging? I only have Civ3 Vanilla and was wondering about this when I saw this threat since there is no setup for it on the menu pages.

A loyal servant,
Scrivener

Yes, it's a self-imposed set of rules, like OCC (One City Challenge) or Always War (all war, all the time) or any of several other variant styles.

Hail everyone!
One city challenge? Is it as the name implies, a single city during the entire game? That has got to be difficult to win especially if one of the other civs goes to war against you. Is there a link to a guide for this?

A loyal servant,
Scrivener

Top Bottom