64 or 32 Bit?

oagersnap

Emperor
I'm getting Windows Vista Ultimate very cheap soon, and I was wondering whether I should install the 32 or the 64 bit version. My computer has a 64 bit processor, but I have heard some bad things about running a 64-bit OS. I don't know as much about computers as most people on this forum, though, so I would like to hear your opinion. My specifications are:
  • AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Windows XP Home Edition
  • ATI Mobility Radeon X700 Graphics card
I don't know the other specifications right now, but if you want me to, I can find out.
I mainly use my computer for music, internet and a little gaming (just Civ4).
I hope you can give me some advice! :)

As Zelig, said there's not difference really. The only big thing that should concern most consumers about 64 bit is the support for more than 4 gigabytes of memory, which you dont have, so you'll be fine with either one.

There are other reasons to get 64bit, its not just physical memory that is addressed (and limted) in 32bit. if you plan on having more than between 3.2 and 4.0 Gigabytes of memory in your system, that includes Virtual Memory, which is likely to take it over the 32bit limit forcing you to use Physical Address Extention. Which isnt the end of the world. But 64bit is the long term soloution.

Yeah, in theory applications will take up more ram and processing because of the increased size in the memory addresses. but the increase in performance for the 64bit applications your system will be running will easily compensate for any (if any) loss of perfromace.
There are also 64bit exclusive content for some games, most notably FarCry that actually cant be used on 32bit. (Even though the textures can be hacked out, there is much more to it than that ;) )

There isnot much conversion as few applications actually point directly to a memory address or range, it is the processor that has to work this out from the instructions it recives. My understanding of the AMD64 architecture you would be running presuming you have an AMD processor (AFAIK EM64T is the same but i never seen it in action) is that it can simultaniusly use 32bit and 64bit instructions. Im a 64bit user myself, and ill say that you might aswell, simply because you can. Your windows vista licenence will allow you to switch between 32 and 64bit modes as many times as you like aslong as you never have both installed.

Top Bottom