1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 13 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Rakish

Rakish Chieftain

Cultural Victory turn 304/305 Score 634

1422 tourism, 260/242 tourists

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 12
    Captured 2 settlers and 6 cities
    total of 20
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    bee-lined computers, deviating for machinery, printing and stirrups as needed

spent two turns as a democracy, then switched to theocracy for the rest of the game as 5 of the 7 opponents where running theocracy and i didn't need anything more than tourists at that point

- Who did you send to the dustbin of history?

no one but did capture 2 cities and a settler from Spain after they Dow me. ( I double forward settled them so I had it coming)
    then moved on to take over Greece's starting island of 3 cities and a settler as well as a one city peninsula to the north of that island
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    was light on troops early as island plates lets you get away with a lot in this area.

ended up building 2 galleys, 4 quadriremes, 2 frigates, 1 battleship (from retired admiral), 3 horsemen, 3 chariots, 1 sword (from different continent bonus), 2 catapults and a crossbowmen.

finishing with 5 frigates, 1 battleship, 1 ironclad, 2 horsemen, 3 knights, 1 crossbowmen and 2 bombards.

- Did you use diplomacy? How?

yes allied America mid game was close to allying India too but made a couple small errors and couldn't cement the relationship before the warmongering penalties started kicking in. stayed allied with America till 3 turns before the end when they joint DOW me with Arabia; what a bunch of traitorous upstarts. but I forgave then because I'd really already won like 30 turns ago.
    - Were City-States helpful?

yes mainly Geneva, a little later Hattusa and towards the end Buenos Aries. also got 3 envoys into Jakarta and Amsterdam even though i didn't have many commercial districts, only 2 for most of the the game.
    - Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
    No, went with divine spark pantheon to chase writers. not sure if this was the right decision, while it did pay off in the end (56 GW points per turn and 13 books), the sea production option would of really helped getting that snowball going early.
    - What did I learn/ what would I have changed?
    While my super greedy start was defiantly the right option in spamming builders and settlers while neglecting military, I should have switched to military sooner and conquered Gorgos main island asap, the Spanish cities were much less desirable and didn't really need them.
    Should of gone boat pantheon as I had several cities that struggled for cogs for much of the game. underestimated Sparta, being an inland city had to use my ground forces. found out they weren't up to the task so had to retreat, build up my forces and ping away at the walls with a battleship and 3 range frigate for many turns before i finally conquered the island. this hurt a lot because i had to stay at war for so long my Greek cities couldn't grow, I had my first ever rebellion in one of the Spanish cities and i wasn't getting the Geneva bonus for ages.

I did learn that as long as you have civil engineering rebellions really aren't that bad, kind of annoying but not that damaging.

I screwed up several timings for tech and civic boosts like not completing telecommunications to get social media boost, and missed the radio for mass media boost as-well.

- Did you enjoy the game?

Yes, finally finished a game as England. I'd started several but always got a bit bored with the games.

Quite enjoyed the map, the Islands proved restricting while still providing potential to grow strong cities and lots of expansion options which is a nice balance. Was a very good map for parks and resorts too which was fun. finished with 2 parks with room for more and more than 20 resorts.

england 13.PNG

Attached Files:

2. ZerrorR

ZerrorR Chieftain

Yay, my first deity win!

10 cities, peaceful game.

Attached Files:

3. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Chieftain

Culture Victory - Turn 410 - Score 599

9 Cities settled and 0 captured

Navy and Commerce. Went for a strategy of Culture by Commerce. Wanted to try new Harbord/Navy Dockyard bonuses. Always use Adjacency bonus for Harbor District giving +10 production for Shipyard in some cities.

Defense only

Some Slingers->Archers->Crossbowmen. Started building Redcoats when threatened by Arabia. Got free Ironclad and Battleship from Admirals and built Caravels/Sea Dogs that got upgraded.

More than in most games. Kept Teddy, Ghandi, and Catherine allied/friendly. Pedro hated me because of more Great Persons.

Geneva science bonus and Industrial City states yes.

Did not even try.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Had a very strange bug occur where Teddy was my Ally but at war with me at the same time. Teddy was fighting Pedro and I had a Sea Dog nearby. For some reason I could coastal raid a tile with Teddy's Settler on it so I tried it. I captured it and since I couldn't reload I kept going. Instead of switch me to war with Teddy I was somehow at war with him and somehow not. He kept attacking me and I kept defeating his units but we were friendly/allied within the diplomatic system. Because we were not at war we couldn't offer peace. He had one of the larger armies and having to constantly defend against him may have slowed me down a little. Mostly did not seem to get warmonger penalties though although Gorgo also declared war at times. The AI is really, really bad at amphibious assaults and navy.

Yes. Had fun sending Archeologists everwhere and stacking culture policies. Got Mary Leakey although she didn't seem to stack with Heritage Tourism? Most fun was that Gorgo was my competition for cultural victory but she would happily sells me great works of writing. This had a swing effect where she would lost tourism as I would gain it, quite early on. I could easily pay for these each time due to all the money from my Commerce Hub + Royal Navy Dockyard combos I had in most of my best cities. Also learned that civilizations would give open borders even if unhappy with you for a once off offer of 100 gold.

Attached Files:

4. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Culture Victory - Turn 325 - score: 1364

about 25 settled and 14 captured

Harbour adjacency bonuses and gold income

spain then india

started with 5 archers, 2 galleys, few horses/chariots, 4 quadriremes and upgraded accordingly

pretty much everyone hated me since i Dow'd many times

I found the industrial states very helpful especially Buenos Aires with suzerain bonus of having substantially more amenities on this map with bonus resources also acting as luxury.

not at all

I initially tried to conquer Gorgo but wasted a substantial amount of turns fighting through Greek defenses and having all my archers die when I thought it would be easy. I instead went north and conquered spain then India quite efficiently.

Very much, this map type had little production tiles to work so I instead focused on gold income and very quickly was making 300+ gp/turn, enough that I bought all my trader units and lots of buildings. I had a fairly slow start with very long build times and things seemed to be egoing nowhere at first. However, once I completed industrial zones with envoy bonuses, got buenos aires suzerain bonus, completed a few shipyards, conquered Spain and India, adopted merchant republic and filled trade route capacity i was amazed as suddenly my empire was flourishing beyond expectations. Basically went from taking 15-25 turns to ~5-10 turns to research civics/techs and build districts and the game felt exhilarating at this stage. Moving into the modern/atomic era however the micromanagement felt tedious and I certainly could have gotten a faster victory date had I spent longer thinking through my turns but overall enjoyed the game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. nufro

nufro Chieftain

CV ~ turn 469 ~ score 2445

Gosh, a hundred? not sure

Gold, navy and military

I took a lot of cities from everyone, but kept them alive, except Gorgo of course. Gogro went down last :)

Built a strong navy from the very beginning and kept chipping coastal cities from everyone all game. Jets later in the game.

Hit spaceports a few times when I wasn't sure I have enough time for conquest

Amsterdam helped with cash flow early on

Fishing boats helped with production. Tried to get a religion, but failed. Later in the game, tried to spread for extra amenities

How weak AI is in wars, keeps surprising me

Great game, challenging. I wish the UI wasn't so painfully slow and buggy when you have a large civ. Too bad I have to always resort to wars, I just can't seem to win any other way.

Thanks for the setup!

Attached Files:

6. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Culture Victory turn 350. 871 points (Louis XVI)

After making peace with Spain following capture of Madrid, I conquered Jerusalem and settled a new city on the small island E of the Spanish colonies (this gave me a city on each continent). Greece was the major cultural opponent, so I reluctantly DoW with them (they were my only friend by this time). I capture the 3 cities on their main island and settled for a white peace from Gorgo in order to proceed peacefully. I was DoW jointly by America and Arabia mid-game, providing ample fodder for my navy; both yielded good peace deals. I finished with 18 cities.

I virtually cornered the market in antiquities by buying archaeologists asap and building the Terracotta Army. I also obtained most of the GA, GW and GM before they ran out towards the end game. I tried to fit in Resorts where possible and built Christo and Eiffel. I built up a strong international trade fleet to spread my culture but didn’t manage to recover my reputation sufficiently to get Open Borders with anyone. I used Merchant Republic and Democracy as my principal government types.

I had some “surprises”:-

1. People became very unhappy more quickly than usual (maybe due to advanced start?), even with Colosseum and several Entertainment Centres, so I used New Deal extensively when available:- effective but expensive.

2. I missed out on Mary Leakey!! I bought Turing for the Computers boost to find her next in the GS line with no hope of purchase before America

3. America had a sudden jump in Tourism from about 250 to 350 as I reached 200 Foreign Tourists (not sure why?). I had brief fears of a long war for victory but the value stabilized and I cruised home.

I love water maps and Victoria is the queen of the seas, particularly with the advanced start which negates her early weakness. RN Dockyards are fantastic in this setting and I built them everywhere for production and cash. The British Museum is also extremely strong for Cultural Victory. I didn’t get a chance to use Redcoats in this game but have used them previously for continental conquest, where they are fearsome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. sebtanic

sebtanic Chieftain

CV turn t354, score 629

I tried to play peaceful, so I didn't eliminate Gorgo. Still got double DOWed several times, so I had to defend quite a bit. Wasn't hard though.

Mary Leakey seems to have been nerfed?

In the end I had 14 cities. The last couple of which I settled just for some extra seaside resorts though.

Fun game!

Attached Files:

8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

9. Noeffinidea

Noeffinidea Chieftain

Culture turn 377. 686 points
    Twas like being stuck in Groundhog day probably restarted from scratch 20 times. I just couldn't do it without killing Sparta

Attached Files:

10. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

Couldn't wait for culture and decided to kill everyone anyway by t322. Scorch and burrrn.