6otM 17 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 17

Welcome to the 17th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ VI - 6otM 17 Details:
Player (You): - Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
Victory Condition
: Science but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Deity
Civs/City-States
(including player): 8/12
Map Type/Size: Continents/Standard Size
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Goody Huts, Barbarians

Game Version:
This game was created in Civ6 vanilla version 1.0.0.129.
Game Requirements: vanilla version of Civilization VI.

Here is where you will start:
6otM_17_start.jpg

Germany Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
Frederick Barbarossa's Special Ability: Holy Roman Emperor - Additional Military Policy slot. +7 Combat Strength when attacking City-States.

Unique Ability
: Free Imperial Cities: Each city can build one more district than usual (exceeding the normal limit based on population).

Unique Unit: U-Boat: German Unique Modern Era Naval Unit that replaces the Submarine. Cheaper to produce, +1 sight and +10 Combat Strength when fighting on Ocean tiles. Able to reveal other stealthed units.

Unique Infrastructure: Hansa: A District unique to Germany for Industrial Activity. Replaces the Industrial Zone District.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends July 15th, 2017.

The save is attached below .

Attachments

• 6otM17_Science_Germany_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    353 KB · Views: 716
Settle on the Rice, get an extra food that way, take the Furs and then at size two and three take the Horses and Stone? EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed the spices. Those are superior to furs. Probably move the warrior onto the spice, you never know if there's more over there.

Probably not gonna play myself... Not used to playing above Emperor.

Wow, now that is an interesting start position, Thanks Mods!
there are a lot of interesting starting options there:

1. settle in place turn 1. a standard 4f 2p start but with 4 very good expansion tiles in 2nd ring so some early tile purchases could give great tiles quickly without moving any of them to 3rd ring

2. settle on the rice turn 1 giving you an impressive 6f 2p 1g start. moves the spices tile to 3rd ring but with a 6f start doesn't seem as much of a loss as you might initially think especially as you keep the nice 2/2 horse and stone-hill tiles in second ring

3. the spend a turn option, move west onto the stone. a 6f 2p start, with the horses 2/2 follow up tile gives you a powerful start for spending a turn, however you do move both the hill-stone and furs to 3rd ring which is a draw back.

4. the waste nothing start. 1 turn move SW. keeps the stone and starting forest tile available. gives you a 4f 3p start only losing the stone hill tile to the 3rd ring. +1p in the early turns compared to a in place start at the price of 1 turn and gives you another early chop if you want to go that route.

And of course all that might completely change with the revelations of the warrior movement. but its fun to look at these images and analyze them in a bubble. I find it really amps up the desire to load the file and jump in.

It's there a forum thread or easy formula for how settling a city affects yields based on terrain/resources? Is it the same as civ 5? What about for housing? Rivers good, but what about on a resource/hill?

Removable terrain features, like woods or jungle, are removed when settled on and do not effect city yields when placed there. a permanent feature like a hill will only add its benefit if its unimproved base yield+added yield is more than than the base yield of the city. So a grassland hill's base yield is +2 food bc it's grassland, its modified yield is +1 production due to the hill, for a total of +2f1p. Since that yield is the same as the base city yield, there are no added yields for cities on grassland hills. For Plains hills, its base yield is +1f1p and its modified yield due to hill is +1p, for a total of +1f2p. cities always give their inherent base yield as minimum, so a city on a plains hill will give +2f2p.

It works essentially the same for resources. A stone grassland hex yields +2f1p, and since that is equal to the base yield of the city it will not increase city yield. A stone grassland hill on the other hand yields +2 food (for grassland) +1 production (for hill) and +1 production (for stone) giving +2f2p, which does modify the city yield to +2f2p.

In the case of grassland rice, it yields +3 food and is reflected in city yield (+3f1p). Grassland+marsh+rice yields +4 food but since the marsh is a removable feature (as opposed to removable resource) the city will only yield +3 food for the rice.

Luxuries and strategics give their bonus yields as well, including food, gold, science, culture and faith where the bonus+base yield is an improvement over the base yield of the city.

Cocoa gives +3 gold to a city settled on it
Marble gives +1 culture
Tea +1 science
etc.

Well, based upon what I see I like option 4 from above (settle 1 SW). Start builder, slinger and see from there as surviving the start is usually the toughest part.

It's there a forum thread or easy formula for how settling a city affects yields based on terrain/resources? Is it the same as civ 5? What about for housing? Rivers good, but what about on a resource/hill?

Removable terrain features, like woods or jungle, are removed when settled on and do not effect city yields when placed there. a permanent feature like a hill will only add its benefit if its unimproved base yield+added yield is more than than the base yield of the city.

Photi Sums it up well, however there is one exception that proves the rule - floodplains. You would thing they work the same as hills being a non removable feature but they don't and you receive no benefit for settling on them. Go figure.

Photi Sums it up well, however there is one exception that proves the rule - floodplains. You would thing they work the same as hills being a non removable feature but they don't and you receive no benefit for settling on them. Go figure.

good catch, thanks

Removable terrain features, like woods or jungle, are removed when settled on and do not effect city yields when placed there. a permanent feature like a hill will only add its benefit if its unimproved base yield+added yield is more than than the base yield of the city. So a grassland hill's base yield is +2 food bc it's grassland, its modified yield is +1 production due to the hill, for a total of +2f1p. Since that yield is the same as the base city yield, there are no added yields for cities on grassland hills. For Plains hills, its base yield is +1f1p and its modified yield due to hill is +1p, for a total of +1f2p. cities always give their inherent base yield as minimum, so a city on a plains hill will give +2f2p.

It works essentially the same for resources. A stone grassland hex yields +2f1p, and since that is equal to the base yield of the city it will not increase city yield. A stone grassland hill on the other hand yields +2 food (for grassland) +1 production (for hill) and +1 production (for stone) giving +2f2p, which does modify the city yield to +2f2p.

In the case of grassland rice, it yields +3 food and is reflected in city yield (+3f1p). Grassland+marsh+rice yields +4 food but since the marsh is a removable feature (as opposed to removable resource) the city will only yield +3 food for the rice.

Luxuries and strategics give their bonus yields as well, including food, gold, science, culture and faith where the bonus+base yield is an improvement over the base yield of the city.

Cocoa gives +3 gold to a city settled on it
Marble gives +1 culture
Tea +1 science
etc.

Thank you so much for this description! Makes sense now. There is one remaining question, however, regarding settling on bonus resources. Does the city itself automatically provide the builder improvement - increasing yields even more? To use 6otM 17 as example, if we settled on the rice, would that yield be 3f1p (based on your description), or would the city automatically 'build the farm' increasing yields to 4f1p? Based on the what I read, it does not 'build' the improvement, but only includes the base yield of the resource itself. If this is so, what is the advantage of settling on a resource? I see there as two 'immediate' advantages, but over time these may turn into hindrances:

Benefit 1) Immediately connect the resource to the city. So settling on the spice automatically 'connects' the spice.

Benefit 2) Immediate increased yield in early game. For example if I settled on the rice, I could have my citizen working the furs, giving my first few turns extra yields.

Both of these, however, would seem to level out as you progress through the first 50 turns or so. If you did not settle in place, the following examples would occur:

Benefit 1 - drawback) Rather than settle on it, I would use a builder to improve the spice, giving me the additional yields of a plantation (+1 gold / +0.5 housing / and +1 food after scientific theory). These additional yields would not be possible if I settle on the spice.

Benefit 2 - drawback) There are a finite number of resources available in each city location, once the city population outgrows the quantity of resources, a non-resource tile would be used, evening this early-game benefit out.

In other words, I'm not convinced that settling on resource is the best LONG-TERM solution, in spite of its initial benefits. In Civ 5 I settled on certain resources, and the immediate benefit was noticeable, but I feel longer term that extra food / production from an improvement (farm/mine) might outweigh the initial gains.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

In any case, I think I will settle SW and build a builder first, followed by a small army to explore and defend against barbs....

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this description! Makes sense now. There is one remaining question, however, regarding settling on bonus resources. Does the city itself automatically provide the builder improvement - increasing yields even more? To use 6otM 17 as example, if we settled on the rice, would that yield be 3f1p (based on your description), or would the city automatically 'build the farm' increasing yields to 4f1p? Based on the what I read, it does not 'build' the improvement, but only includes the base yield of the resource itself. If this is so, what is the advantage of settling on a resource? I see there as two 'immediate' advantages, but over time these may turn into hindrances:

The city does not "build" the farm, nor do you get any other tech/improvement related boni like +1 production when settling on a stone and researching rocketry. The main advantage of building - especially your capital - on better spots than 2/1 is that these boni are more powerful in the early game when every turn counts.

Benefit 1 - drawback) Rather than settle on it, I would use a builder to improve the spice, giving me the additional yields of a plantation (+1 gold / +0.5 housing / and +1 food after scientific theory). These additional yields would not be possible if I settle on the spice.

You do get the 0.5 housing when settling on a resource whose improvement gives that bonus.

Benefit 2 - drawback) There are a finite number of resources available in each city location, once the city population outgrows the quantity of resources, a non-resource tile would be used, evening this early-game benefit out.

In other words, I'm not convinced that settling on resource is the best LONG-TERM solution, in spite of its initial benefits. In Civ 5 I settled on certain resources, and the immediate benefit was noticeable, but I feel longer term that extra food / production from an improvement (farm/mine) might outweigh the initial gains.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

In Civ Games the most important factor is TIME.

Everything's value decreases rapidly as turns get on. 1H in capital is extremely powerful at T1, but only a dust of joke at T100. You may find your empire producing 100 times more on Turn 100 than on Turn 1. The value of turns are all the same. That is to say, if you miss 1F on Turn 1, it's somehow equivalent to missing 100F on T100.

That's why in C5 the Temple of Artemis(which cost 185H to get 10% food(not the speed of food gain,it's 10% the initial food!) for all empire) seems extremly worthwhile but in fact seldom makes sense.

So avoid having the most powerful initial capital to save for a "long-term" benefit is ridiculous.

It's been over a week and I still haven't decided wheter I'm going to jump 2 difficulty levels to give this a try...

Top Bottom