1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 18 After Actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 18 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion?
    - Did you bother with Culture?
    - How did you pump your Science?
    - Did you instigate any major wars?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. ^MeSSiaH^

^MeSSiaH^ Chieftain

I think we still need Opening Actions thread

3. whacker

whacker Chieftain

T155 SV. (i will extend this post later, had to go :D)
    As there have been some questions about fast SV`s in the last gotm17, i will do a little "guide" here. Please note that the following only describes my personal way of playing SV. Terms like "best" or "better" only apply to winning as fast as possible and i know that there are tons of other ways to have a pleasant, succesful game.

War:
    Build 6-8 slingers and upgrade them. Add 1-2 warriors and start conquering city states and AI. Plan your wars ahead and move your units very carefully, every turn counts, especially on higher difficulties. On lower difficulties, if you have horses, get 4-6 horsemen as soon as possible. On Deity scip horsemen and go for knights/crossbows instead. Try to hit the timing of the techs and mercenaries, which should be somewhere between t70-t80. The best way here is to prebuild 6-10 chariots, you should have enough gold from peace deals with the AI`s to upgrade them. Dont forget to add a ram. It is very useful to get the first GG. You can win every war on every difficulty without GG`s, but it just speeds thing up a lot. Classical and Renaissance GG`s also make catapults and bombards very efficient, 2 bombards also give a heureka. In the later stages of the game you should try to have 2 armies. They will differ from game to game but a rough guideline is:
    Army1: 8 knights, (2 crossbows), ram +GG
    Army2: 4-6 crossbows, 3 musketmen, 2 bombards +GG if you manage to get a renaissance.
    Of course you have to adapt from game to game, but this should work well in most cases.

Early game: (~t1-50)
    Always start with a scout. I can not emphasize enough how important it is to know the map, CS and AI`s as soon as possible. On top of that scouts are great to steal settlers and goody huts can be very useful as well. Afterwards it depends:
    settler,builder, slingers if you seem to be in a safe spot or playing on <immortal.
    slingers, (builder) if there seems to be danger.
    Keep the urban planning card in your government at all times, it is super strong. You will get a pantheon eventually by finding a relic, yields, CS, or hut. Political philosophy may vary greatly, depending on CS and stolen settlers. t45-t60 is fine, the sooner the better.
    Always take Oligarchy unless you are playing Germany, then get classical republic. Use the joker slot for +2GGP and run an encampment project. Don`t do this on deity if an AI already is acquiring GG points, they will most likely buy it. Afterwards slot in the colonization card and build ~5-10 settlers. Again this may vary greatly from game to game and the only way of finding the right amount of everything comes with playing the game.
    Build a monument in every city.

Mid game: (~t51-120)
    Get campus->campus buildings in all of your cities. Also build 3 CD and 2 markets for inspirations. Afterwards CD in every city. Start building workers with ilkum and finish them when you have the +2charge card. Micromanage your cities, most dont need to grow past 4 pop, production is king. Place your districts at 1 and 4 pop, saving hammers is better than adjacency. Stop growth afterwards to avoid ammenity issues. Get one ED for the Colloseum and 3 IZ for the heureka/factories. Plan those 4 cities early, you will need them to grow to 7-8 pop. Build the Great Zimbabwe on a 6+ bonus resource spot, dont hesitate to speed it up with chops. (~t115-125)This is super important as it will be your spaceport city as well, having 100+production due to traderoutes. Try to find as many CS as possible, if there is water build 2 galleys to speed up your exploration. Put envois into mercantile and scientific CS and watch out for their quests, envoi boni are incredibly powerful. Go for the trade republic.(~t100)

Late game: (~t121-win)
    Chop, chop, chop. Build new workers when you get the +30%+2charge card. Chop all your wood, stone and deer to finish your districts and buildings. (except the Zimbabwe city of course).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Photi

Photi Governor

I got a turn 247 SV. Not sure if I'll get around to posting a write up. I did a bunch of warmongineering, took out Gilgamesh and Philip and a bunch of city states and then everybody else hated me. I did manage to make all my citizens happy by the end, none were ecstatic at time of victory iirc.

I understand quick wins are domination based (I did manage a T207 dom SV last week on emperor) but I don't find it fun after 50 turns or so, I'll probably go back to my usual style of maybe an early rush (if that) then empire building and alliance forming, then compare with others who follow similar play styles. "Quickest time to victory " wastes a lot of the game features though so a better in-game scoring system would be welcome from the developers. As it is now, with population and number of cities counting so much more than all the other scoring metrics this again skews the "good" game In favor of a domination game.

Victoria likes this.
  5. ^MeSSiaH^

^MeSSiaH^ Chieftain

Whaker - few questions if you dont mind:

1. When do you make builders? I mean, I have difficulty in figuring out when to make builders.
    From the production perspective, I have to spend c. 60 hammers on a builder. He gives me on average 3 hammers from upgrades (1-2 more with aprenticeship), which is c. 20 turns until he pays off himself. So, having this in mind when to actually make them? And subqestion - is it worth to take Pasture pantheon over DS having few resources (i.e. 2-4) in my first 3-4 cities? Cuz this makes me feel like the builder isnt a time loss early on as hes actually a free Monument in each city with pasture.

2. How early you go for your major production city? I mean often this requires like 8-10 turns of settler travel which is quite a waste (full district).

3. How much do you chop early on? Is it worth to chop this +2/+3 Campus in SV? When do you generally chop in you non-prod cities? Universities or earlier?

4. I always struggle to fit traders in the production. Is it worth making them early? Its basically 2 prod per turn for c.50-60 cost - same as early builder.

5. Do you buy much early? I mean is it worth to try not to buy much or just spend the gold like crazy (keeping some money for upgrades when needed) early on cuz later you wil get 200+ a turn anyway? I

6. Last - when do you build Monuments? I always struggle to get to mercenaries close to knights/machinery techs. How do you make this happen?

Cheers,

6. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Whacker, following, if you also don't mind!

- What about Granaries and Water Mills? Build them or no... If yes, when?

BTW, coincidentally, after 6otM 17, I saw your SV guide written in German. Yes, only saw, because through the prints I was capable to understand it, and I did a script similar to this one in English :D! Congrats on both! About German, :nono: not a word :lol:...

7. The Wizard

The Wizard Chieftain

Science Victory on T434 - 2013 AD - Score 493

I settled 6 and captured 0.

I kind of botched a try at getting some benefit out of the Great Library. America finished it a turn before me and that really set me behind. I usually play on higher difficulty, so, I thought I would mess around on Prince. I ended up playing catch up for the rest of the game and had to make some major adjustments. I also didn't want to get aggressive this game and spend a lot of time building relationships with the stronger civs around me. For example, Sumeria was a big threat throughout the game, but, I decided to build a strong alliance with Gilgamesh and keep it that way.

Not really, although, I was fending off other religions as I felt Shinto (founded by Gilgamesh) was the strongest for me.

I should have bothered more with it with my Great Library play I talked about above....If I had put just an incremental effort into it I would have saved myself that turn and would not have lost the wonder to Teddy.

I tried to get my campuses out as fast as possible and focused on policies which would give me bonuses to their output. Since I botched things up a bit early on as well, I had some serious pressure to get the science victory before getting to turn 500. To do this I focused really hard on getting a trio of great people to hurry up my spaceship building. I managed to use Industrial Logistics and my strong gold / faith accumulation to get both Sergei Korolev and Wernher von Braun. I also had the lead in Great Scientist Production and strategically waited for Carl Sagan to appear. Without these Great People I definitely would have run out of time and would have likely lost to Cleopatra who ultimately had the highest score based on her city count.

I decided from the beginning I didn't want to instigate any wars. Ultimately that resulted in everyone else boxing me in and I didn't have much room to expand. I did sail west and settle two cities near the Great Barrier Reef which ended up being very helpful in the space race.

Lisbon and Zanzibar were extremely helpful as they provided a buffer for me between Gilgamesh and Kongo. I also focused my trade through them through most of the early game and that helped me turn things around when i needed to accelerate to beat the clock.

Other than losing the Great Library to Teddy, Kongo declared war on me once which was a bit of a surprise. Fortunately they were not terribly strong in my play through and it wasn't a real threat. I stopped his army from entering my borders and then he quickly offered me peace with some favorable terms.

It was fun and it was my first play through with France. I certainly botched some things, but, I'm glad it was Prince so I could still pull off the win. I definitely would have lost on the higher difficulty. I also enjoy role playing a bit sometimes. I definitely had no need to build the Eiffel Tower, but, I was France so I figured I should do it :) Looking forward to #19.

Catherine GotM18.png
    Catherine GotM18_2.png
    Catherine GotM18_3.png

Attached Files:

8. Elric the Red

Elric the Red Chieftain

SV victory on turn 345 with score 748

SV WIN 2017-07-09_19-04-56.png

• How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 11 and captured 3 CS​
    • What did you prioritise for research and policies?
    Production and gold with science later on.​
    • Did you bother with Religion?
    Yes but only to make sure I could keep others from winning​
    • Did you bother with Culture?
    No.. really limited culture growth until the end​
    • How did you pump your Science?
    A few campuses, science SC and then policy boosts with some well placed great people​
    • Did you instigate any major wars?
    No. A small war with Germany early on to stop expansion​
    • Were City-States helpful?
    Yes for science boost and the 15% from Geneva​
    • Did you enjoy the game?
    Intresting to play France a diffrent way but not a lot of challenge in the later game just a build fest.​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  9. whacker

whacker Chieftain

1. One builder in around half of my cities when i get Feudalism. Several waves of builders when hitting Civil Engineering. As i rarely improve more than 3-4 tiles for each city, most of the later charges are used for chopping. In most cities
    libraries and universities are chopped. They really start to shine with Enlightenment which comes at almost the same time as Civil Engineering.

2. As soon as possible, depending on the game. Sometimes my capital is a fantastic production city and also a good spot for Zimbabwe, sometimes i wait until t80 before deciding which city is best. If you really lack production in all of your cities, you can always found a city in the tundra with lots of deer and wood to chop your spaceport. The problem that may occur when your spaceport city is not your Zimbabwe city is that all the GS in the finishing turns appear in your city with the highest pop which is most likely the one with Zimbabwe. I had several games were i lost 1 turn because i had to move them.

3. I rarely chop early on. Only if 50% cards are availabe or if i need to hit certain heurekas like guilds. Also to remove wood/stone to build mines instead or place districts.

4. Usually i try to get 4 traderoutes for the inspiration. Afterwards i will fill in traders in cities that have high production or cities at 3 pop, waiting for the 2. district. I try to have ~10 traders when Zimbabwe is getting built to speed it up.

5. I buy a lot of tiles early and i like to buy 2-3 workers in weak cities with the initial Feudalism wave. Other than that i try not to waste any gold as promotions are mandatory and gold is most likely to be the bottleneck when aiming for a t150-t155 finish. (i never tried the neigbourhood for farms strategy though)

6. Monuments first in every city.(not necessarily in cities after t100 that you found with captured settlers.) If you don`t do that and there is no Kumasi or Nan Madol, you won`t hit Democracy in time in a lot of games. That is why i rate Rome as a top civ for SV.

No, i grow past 4 by chopping swamp/rice/wheat/rainforest instead of using production.

Sorry for still having my original post unfinished, i try to finish it this week.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Eyswein and Victoria like this.
  10. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

T271 SV. The starting position was surprisingly challenging with little room to expand, so I conquered 2 closest CS and capital of Sumeria. Wanted to take another good city of Sumeria, but did not succeed easily, so I took peace and did not wage wars after that. Barbarians were quite a nuisance. I think during the whole game the AI did not take a single GE or GS, which was bad, because I did not get the ones I needed for SV. I only got the 20% space guy in the very end, even though I spent 20+k gold in buying them.

Attached Files:

11. aito

aito Chieftain

Turn 403, SV
    • How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 4 and a late game 5th. Captured 4, all late game too.
    • What did you prioritise for research and policies?
    A balance of gold-production. And managed to get 4 great scientist that really helped.
    • Did you bother with Religion?
    Yes, for the GP because I was able to build the Oracle and really paid off.
    • Did you bother with Culture?
    No, as the settling location didnt even let me build Chatteaus.
    • How did you pump your Science?
    Campuses in every city, science SC and then policy boosts with luck in GP. Finally, some research agreements, but those werent neccesary really.
    • Did you instigate any major wars?
    No. Just a late game Kongo wipe out, cause they were heading towards CV
    • Were City-States helpful?
    Yes, as I played peacefull, for science, gold, production and defensive purposes.
    • Did you enjoy the game?
    Nice one... my first, and really chellenging in terms of trying to be fast and efficient

Attached Files:

Victoria likes this.
  12. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Turn 191 Science Victory, score 738

20 at the end of the game

Beelined towards Industrialization and rocketry

Since later into the game(~t120) a GP was still available I ended up getting a religion pretty much only for the 1% production/follower in my spaceport and great Zimbabwe cities.

Just monuments in most cities

Built as many campus districts as possible with libraries/universities. Used most of my envoys (6 on each) on Stockholm/Geneva for science bonus and GP suzerain boost. Sent 3 envoys to the other scientific states for the +2 science/CD..

Early on I eliminated Sumeria, then Mvemba and some of Germany.

Very much so, I captured Catharge/Vilinus/Jerusalem/Yerevan and used the envoy bonuses on other SS. The Kumasi suzerain bonus was very helpful early on.

I came VERY close to accidentally winning a cultural victory since wonder tourism is doubled with France and the other civs were very tiny.
    I dealt with this by building less wonders then I otherwise would have and didn't bother with any culture buildings besides monuments.
    At the end of the game I had 37/40 tourists needed for a CV. Had I noticed this earlier I may have played safer and built even less wonders.

Absolutely.

I was really hoping for a ~t175 win as it felt possible most of the game but it looking back it required better planning.

Several things slowed me down; I didn't have quite enough culture for democracy or
    quite enough gold to recruit the necessary GS to win sooner (<t175). As far SS quests for additional envoys I was extremely unlucky only getting a couple quests I could finish, almost every quest was for something positively useless in moving towards a science victory.

Nonetheless, I'm content with t191.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  13. benjspurs

benjspurs Chieftain

SV on T293. 651 Points
    7 Settled 5 Captured (3 from Sumeria - 1 CS (Carthage) - 1 Congo Early war v Sumerian was planned for expansion and mountains reasons, Congo DoW on me.
    - What did you prioritise for research and policies?
    Any research or policies that aided with Science and Gold after i had got horseman in.
    Did an early error building Religious site but no shrine to get GP points! So missed out
    No just got monuments in and congo city had theatre square, so far behind space project cards in the end which might be an error / and late for communism.
    Got most if not all GS people, built campases in each city and got Oxford Uni (is this the only science benefit wonder?) And two CS Science Suzerain.
    Planned to War with Sumeria but he declared on me first just as i was preparing
    Yes got suzerain with two science ones and two gold ones
    Slow start i thought, with terrain to east. Thought i could do it to we easily on the back of GoTM17 SV maybe complacent with making mistakes,
    Yes, tougher slower than i thought it would/should be considering difficulty level - Was hoping for sub250 game

14. benjspurs

benjspurs Chieftain

Amazing tips Whacker, cheers some of it has gone over my head mind, haha. Looking at your GoTM victories sometimes i feel like you dont play the same game as me. Again great tips and cheers for sharing

15. cheffster

cheffster Deity

I ran into this very same problem the first few times I attempted a SV this way but AFAIK getting the two most important GS; klowek (+100% space production) and Sagan (3000 hammers towards space projects) will always appear at the very end if not yet already recruited. I ended up saving 20k gold -before- finishing Big Ben in my game and had to cycle through through 4 other GS before getting those two meaning I recruited 6 in total after cashing Big Ben and I still had to wait 2 additional turns to save up enough gold for the final one even after having 40k banked and earing 80 GS points per turn. Basically you need to get your great Zimbabwe up and running asap as well as making well over 500 gold/turn midway (~t130 or so) through the game. Getting as many Commercial Hubs as you can are just as important as campuses for a fast space win.

Whacker somehow was getting over 1k/turn in his game by t155 so go figure.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    isopaha likes this.
  16. Kaptah

Kaptah Chieftain

T441SV, score 527. This was my first game with civ6, I have played the whole series over the centuries though. I managed to boost science quite good but my production was really poor. It was a good game, thank you!

Attached Files:

17. romana03

romana03 Chieftain

Turn 448, Science Victory, score 506

Settled 9, captured 1 and took 1 in a peace settlement, both from Kongo.

My culture was really low, so I took forever to get policies. I focused on getting government upgrades. For policy slots I tended to pick housing/amenity and gold bonuses until I get the diplomatic one that reduced foreign spy efficacy.

Not at all, I ignored it.

Not really. I built a culture district when I was getting annoyed with how long policies were taking.

Not sure how best to do this. Put campuses in spots with bonuses, built campus buildings, took the GS policy card, and built the great library and Oxford uni.

Nope. Went a peaceful as possible route. Only started one war with Kongo because he settled cities in my way.

Not especially, although I did keep an eye on being Suzerain of science and then manufacturing city states.

I got squashed between Kongo and Sumeria more quickly than I expected so spread out up the side of the landmass with Egypt and Spain.

Yup, it was a fun challenge :) I'm tempted to restart and try to settle my cities in better spots.

Attached Files:

18. Kal1699

Kal1699 Chieftain

Turn 365, score 610.

8 settled, 2 captured
    I didn't beeline anything after 100 turns, just went with the flow of eureka/inspiration
    Sacred Path ended up being kinda meh, a trade off between optimum IZ bonuses (working hills next to mountains) instead of GPP from Divine Spark
    World Church was a bad pick. I didn't get many other cities converted, so it was just 5-10% extra culture. Not bad, but extra production would have been better.
    Reliquaries was OK. Getting temples filled up help catch up on civics mid game, then I sold them to avoid a culture win. Worth it, overall.
    Holy Order was a mistake. I didn't buy many apostles.
    Pagodas were clinch, as my cities needed housing.
    I built a few theaters to stay competitive on civics, but didn't bother theming, to avoid tourism
    4 campuses, ally with Geneva, smart inspiration-based production, relevant policies, and 2 high production cities repeating research projects toward the end.
    I took two cities from Spain, which allowed me to connect with city states for more envoys.
    Zanzibar, Geneva, Vilnius and especially Toronto.
    Nobody attacked me, so I kept a small, but upgraded army/navy.
    I lucked out stealing a settler from barbarians. I like to send an apostle to the poles to convert barbarians, usually swordsmen and archers/crossbows. I farm other barbarians then return, but the settler snagged niter, which I lacked, so I expanded with another settler and my two cities from Spain. I even got 1 uranium Egypt would have gotten otherwise, which I traded for gold.
    It was a bit irritating avoiding a culture win, but other than that, it was OK. I learned a lot playing it, so yes, I enjoyed it. My main complaint would be how useless Cathy's bonuses are to an SV, but there lies the challenge.

At the end, Integrated Space Cell+seaport+Rhur+4 IZs in range made my capital zoom through space projects almost as fast as I researched them. I ended with 82.5 production.

Oracle was worth building, but not clinch. Mt. St. Mich was meh. Bolshoi helped a lot with culture generation. Eiffel Tower was a waste of time. Forbidden City was very helpful generating GPP in the late game.

I started with classical republic, as I wasn't warmongering or wonder whoring. Theocracy wasn't a complete waste, as I did buy a few units, allowing me to focus production on districts and traders, ect. Communism fit my strategy of maximising production, but I missed the second green and purple slot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  19. Kal1699

Kal1699 Chieftain

This is my first time playing a GOTM, and first time seeing how others play civ6 outside of a bit of reddit skimming. I am humbled by whaker's, Photi's and Isopaha's fast wins. I tend to avoid warmongering, as I find it tedious, but the strategy is obviously sound. Thanks for sharing.

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff