6otM 18 After Actions Report

Turn 163 SV
In-turn victory. Victory happens when I harvest a stone.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled about 15, captured about 25
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Banking. Winning at 4 level requires more money than at 8. Also you have fewer cities. So I used both the Zimbabwe and the Eiffel tower to make 25,000 Gold, then double to 50,000.
Civil Engineering for Civics. That's really an extremely useful one. Since half of your cities will be producing builders, that civic increases your overall production by about 15%.
- Did you bother with Religion?
Yes, +50% city state bonus is extremely useful.
- Did you bother with Culture?
I just let it go.
- How did you pump your Science?
+50% city state bonus with campus is ok. I ignored most universities and even some libraries. Then I found myself calculated wrongly that I actually finished my GP at T161 but needed techs at T163.
- Did you instigate any major wars?
You have to eliminate at least 5 opponents to avoid a culture victory. I eliminated 5 and find myself being culture victory at the end of T163(With 500+Tourism)... But I managed to fly my rocket on that turn so that I will not get CV on the end of that turn.

If you eliminate 6 you will not get culture victory, but you'll find yourself fighting against Barbarian Mechanized Infantries in the late game, I don't want to do that...

- Were City-States helpful?
With +50% they're very helpful.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
I am 0T to culture victory.
- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes.

Attachments

• 163 after victory.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Turn 414 score 468 (1st had 489)
Almost forgot to post my save and all!

7 settled, none captured

Wnt straight for science bonuses and rpduction poolicies. I switched policies as soon as possible to maximize science, but as always production is very important for SV

I did mainly in the beginning, since founding a religion granted me +science and + production very soon

Not really. Built only a couple theatre districts in big cities, otherwise I went for mainly commercial hubs and factories wherever I could

Choosing good places for campuses and pumping them up, then choosing science policies and scientific trade routes

I managed not to (that's one of the reasons why it takes me always ages to win I suppose), managed to be friendly with my neighbors for most o fthe time

Toronto and Buenos Aires were useful for production towards the end, I didn't bother much with the others apart from some points in the scientific ones

Not very favorable terrain IMHO, managed to build a couple of cities west which had some bonuses for science (great barrier) and gold from pearls

Overall yes, even if I didn't take full advantage of France's bonuses for spying, as doing that was not very useful for me.

Attachments

• CATERINA DE' MEDICI 414 1993 d.C..Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 173
Science Victory turn 261.

814 points, Louis XVI (appropriately!). I continued my military expansion to remove Kongo, Germany, and Spain from the world, leaving the more advanced AI to hopefully speed up era-jumping. This was marginally successful, but I only managed to push through to Information Era GP by spending large amounts of my Big Ben bonus. As usual, the least useful engineers and scientists appeared first, to the extent that I only used Goddard (20% boost to space projects) for my space race (Korolev and Sagan were both a couple of turns away when I chopped the last production for my winning module). I was forced to start selling off the family artworks to avoid an accidental cultural victory (I was up to 50/70 tourists at the endgame IIRC). I was too slow in my initial expansion by trying to develop friendships rather than take over the nearby City States.

There was a surprising amount of barbarian spawn throughout the game, but no wine !!?? (hence no Medici achievement).

France was one of the weaker Civ I have played, certainly for Science victory at low difficulty level. The wonder bonus was their best attribute (I built Ruhr Valley, Big Ben and Oxford), although the extra tourism for wonders was counter-productive here. The higher diplo visibility was interesting and the early spy could be valuable to higher difficulties. I never built a Guarde Imperiale (too late in the tree and not needed here) or a Chateau (give me wine!!).

Attachments

• CATHERINE DE MEDICI 261 1750 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 203
Turn 223, Score 665

Lost quite a few turns due to a small mistake at the end. By turn 196 I had 52,000 gold post Big Ben, Democracy, and completed all the space techs. After recruiting 5 remaining GS, I activated Kwolek and Sagan in the spaceport, completing the first project, then proceeded to harvest/chop for the rest. However, after the Moon Landing I chopped without selecting the third project, which unfortunately seemed to cancel the Sagan overflow, and I had to hard-build the 3 Mars parts.

10 settled, 3 captured from each of Kongo and Germany

After mining, archery and bronze working, moved to get writing and currency for districts.

No.

Monuments everywhere, and kept one theater square from Kongo. In the endgame, I realized reaching Democracy was my limiting factor, so I ran Raj and built a few chateaux. Kumasi would have been helpful, should have prioritized it earlier.

- How did you pump your Science? Campus and libraries everywhere, universities in more than half of the cities. Anticipating the high cost of recruiting all great scientists, I built the commercial infrastructure in parallel to the science one, slightly prioritizing science.

Just one with my initial warriors + archers army (then swords and a ram), to take the cities mentioned above.

Yes, so many good ones. Prioritized getting suzerain of Lisbon, Zanzibar and Geneva. Later focuses on the industrial ones.

The continent was much bigger than I thought at first, so I could have conquered more cities vs. settled.

Yes, although it was a bit tedious to monitor science, gold and culture to get everything lined up at the end, it was a great opportunity to think about the mechanics of the game and the different tradeoffs.

Attachments

• CATHERINE DE MEDICI 223 1560 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Turn 308, Score 1262

First science victory, so didn't really know what I was doing. Lots of war, lots of expansion, built way too many things, but enjoyed the game!

Ended up with 35 cities, mostly captured. Possibly too many...

Didn't really, sort of bumbled along.

No.

Not really, still got to the end of the culture tree though

Campus, campus, campus, campus, campus.

Yes. All of them. Don't think I was ever attacked.

Think so, especially early on, lots of bonuses.

The amount of production required for a science victory! Had to make a lot more commercial districts / traders.

Yes. Too much war maybe made it take a long time though.

Attachments

• GOTM_FRANCE_1874 AD_POSTVICTORY.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 158
T184 SV. 1003 Points
Great site for Great Zimbabwe. Conquered every opponent but Cleopatra since the Prince AI didn't put up much of a fight. Then I grabbed suzerains, great people, and huts without much competition.

Built 5 settlers, Captured 4 settlers, Conquered 23 cities.

Tried researching low cost techs/civics to avoid advancing the era until most CS quests were finished. This helped enormously. I ended the game with 68 envoys where I usually get about 35. Used Rationalism and Meritocracy ASAP and kept them slotted for the entire game.

Even with a relic, Egypt beat me to God of the Forge by a few turns. Captured holy sites and divine spark pantheon were enough to grab the 4th religion. Got Zen Meditation and Papal Primacy.

25 monuments, 6-city Colosseum, Meritocracy, and some conquered Theater Squares brought me to around 200 culture

With Seoul, Stockholm, and Geneva I hardly needed to build even libraries.

Knights with a battering ram were useful the entire game.

I lost 2 scouts to barbs in search of a fault line that I wouldn't find until way way after foreign trade was complete. Then since I eliminated 6 civs, the barb camps were spawning infantry and AT crew. But, they weren't too much for my knight corps to manage.

Yes, I managed to get my fastest win yet, even with one of the worst SV civs. The only benefit I used was the wonder production bonus, building Forbidden City, Big Ben, and Great Zimbabwe.

Attachments

• CATHERINE AFTER ACTIONS.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
Turn 245 SV, my fastest in Civ6 yet. Looking at that 1st post however made me shrivel up like a prune so I am officially dead now, thanks whacker!

Anyway, our start location was just perfect for Ruhr Valley and as soon as you realize that the whole game turns into a "lets build mines EVERYWHERE" scenario, at least as far as capital is concerned.

Civ6 like every civ game before it practically begs you to kill everyone however prince setting throws a spanner in the works in that you might just actually score a culture win accidently if you don't restrain the genocide. Because unlike Civ5, every city is extra science and science doesn't scale based on city number, I killed everyone and everything that was in the way of my small army. I kept my army small to ensure I didn't wipe everyone out and built lots of warriors (and spearmen) for fog busting. As we have all learned, the Barbarians are a force worse than any AI civ when it comes to messing with you but thankfully the tricks of the fogbusting trade learned from civ4 still work here. Barbarians are really shy and only like to come out when you aren't looking.

I forced every city I took over to produce a economic district so my capital could really exploit RV and at end game had 18 trade routes.

exploit/glitch alert

I was attacked once by Gilgamesh and he retook and liberated a city state I had taken very early in the game. I took his life for his insolence and discovered a glitch in the process. Capturing a city state that has been liberated (from you) causes it to still count as a city state despite being your city. This means you have to 'make peace' with it or it will remain occupied and you can also send it envoys!
I don't know if you can benefit from its Suzerain status but my save file is included so if anyone wants to play with that be my guest. It could count as an exploit as well because the AI refused to send it envoys so you could kill, liberate and recapture city states and have them all exclusively, or it could just be a freak glitch.

Playing as france neither helped or hindered the victory condition and ditto for her unique units. Both are too far from the science victory paths to be of any use when you are beelining.

Overall a fun game but sadly base civ6 is a poor experience and the more I play it the more I realize that.

Attachments

• Catherine_Science_T245.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
exploit/glitch alert
I was attacked once by Gilgamesh and he retook and liberated a city state I had taken very early in the game. I took his life for his insolence and discovered a glitch in the process. Capturing a city state that has been liberated (from you) causes it to still count as a city state despite being your city. This means you have to 'make peace' with it or it will remain occupied and you can also send it envoys!
I don't know if you can benefit from its Suzerain status but my save file is included so if anyone wants to play with that be my guest. It could count as an exploit as well because the AI refused to send it envoys so you could kill, liberate and recapture city states and have them all exclusively, or it could just be a freak glitch.

I got that glitch in another game, where if I remember well, I conquered a CS, an opponent liberated it and then I took it again. The second time it was still listed as a CS, but AIs kept sending envoys to it, and one of the AIs was suzerain.

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom