6otM 28 AAR

Its the first one , with Japan close. Have not tried the other.
I did get 3 CD's and they are worth it for the cash flexibility, I must say @civtrader6 that launching the moon mission early is AWESOME!... straight to the end of the culture tree... 1 turn each. Rushing for rationalism is still of great value but no need to rush democracy for the Aztecs, just go to the moon.
upload_2017-12-21_21-7-41.png

Here it goes:
AZTEC (no dlc) Turn 128 SCIENCE VICTORY

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

Way too many. Wars lasted longer than anticipated.
Rome got legions around T40 mark, just as I started my conquest (bummer). Teddy fell in a couple of Turns.
Initial plan was to conquer Germany as well. But then I also had to attack France (in order to reach and liberate Stockholm) as well as Attack Greece (in order to reach and liberate Amsterdam, if i remember correctly).

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Followed the usual progression for a quick science victory. Craftsmanship -> and only then built my first army. Then Colonisation started building settlers with Military tradition geared toward the second army (heavy chariots). Quick feudalism with stirrups for some early knights.

- Did you bother with Religion?
It came naturally but a bit too late to make an impact.

- Did you bother with Culture?
Yes please - culture is key!

- How did you pump your Science?
Making sure to get as many envoys as fast as possible. Liberating science city states. Infrastructure, through Aztec ability to complete districts and then use remaining chops for libraries and unis. This got me all the unis faster than usual (because no chops were used for commercial hubs).

- Did you instigate any major wars?
Very major. Declared on Norway with one, but brave eagle warrior.

- Were City-States helpful?
Yes. Carthage was super helpful as well. A few additional encampments allowed me to amass ridiculous amounts of gold in 120ish turns.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Rome beelined legions. Took me ages to capture them.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Very much so.

Final thoughts - this is, imo, pretty much as fast as it can get in this version of Civ.
By completing districts with builder chargers Aztecs are unrivaled in the speed they can set up an economy.

Also - I've got the whole game recorded (not sure it can be posted as unlisted video?) . Although, I've recorded it more for myself and for memory - since the new R&F will change things significantly.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 128 300 AD RECORD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Also, this one:
AZTEC DLC (free settler) - Turn 120 Science Victory

I know this is a better finish time. But I will regard the one above (T128) as my personal record - since in this game - the extra 8 turns come from capturing a settler on Turn 2 - and essentially exploits the starting-positions bug.
But here's the save if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 120 100 AD SV.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 185
T136 but not valid, just playing with new Strategy.
Power the science, hard build 5 launchpads and chop in the projects.
No scientists required, no need for godess of the harvest, no worries on money (well some is handy)
I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 125 or less, made mistakes cruising through. Strategy only really suits aztecs and having a good chop map like this helps.
Gonna give it another shot

What do you mean, "Power the science"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Way back in the announcement thread I knew it that someone would get 120 turns or lower. Those are some pretty amazing times trader, even considering the starting position 'exploit'

Here it goes:
AZTEC (no dlc) Turn 128 SCIENCE VICTORY

Way too many. Wars lasted longer than anticipated.
Rome got legions around T40 mark, just as I started my conquest (bummer). Teddy fell in a couple of Turns.
Initial plan was to conquer Germany as well. But then I also had to attack France (in order to reach and liberate Stockholm) as well as Attack Greece (in order to reach and liberate Amsterdam, if i remember correctly).

Followed the usual progression for a quick science victory. Craftsmanship -> and only then built my first army. Then Colonisation started building settlers with Military tradition geared toward the second army (heavy chariots). Quick feudalism with stirrups for some early knights.

It came naturally but a bit too late to make an impact.

Yes please - culture is key!

Making sure to get as many envoys as fast as possible. Liberating science city states. Infrastructure, through Aztec ability to complete districts and then use remaining chops for libraries and unis. This got me all the unis faster than usual (because no chops were used for commercial hubs).

Very major. Declared on Norway with one, but brave eagle warrior.

Yes. Carthage was super helpful as well. A few additional encampments allowed me to amass ridiculous amounts of gold in 120ish turns.

Rome beelined legions. Took me ages to capture them.

Very much so.

Final thoughts - this is, imo, pretty much as fast as it can get in this version of Civ.
By completing districts with builder chargers Aztecs are unrivaled in the speed they can set up an economy.

Also - I've got the whole game recorded (not sure it can be posted as unlisted video?) . Although, I've recorded it more for myself and for memory - since the new R&F will change things significantly.

Would love to see the video. Will you do up a opening moves post too?

Turn 168 SV, no DLC version

Soon after T100, I took all but one Roman cities and a few city states to get to 25 cities. After finally finding a commercial CS (Brunei) with a galley, I built up to 17 commercial hubs with Civil Eng. builders. My main error in the 2nd part of the game was to delete most of my army to save gold whereas I could have liberated Amsterdam. With two commercial CS I think culture, rather than gold, would have been the bottleneck, leading to a victory around T160 (or faster if the extra gold could buy an arch. museum or other sources of inspiration). The main difference with the top finishing times remains my lack of conquest speed (see opening actions).

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 168 1070 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Settled two! Started a war with Japan and then everyone hated me so I kept going. Razed tons of Spain, China and Japan (resettled Japan) just for kicks. Spain was halfway competitive but not close enough -- gunships vs infantry. They hadn't improved a lot of their land tho -- AI needs improvement.

Mostly just went for cheap ones. It was clear from early on I would win.

Tried to! But I didn't know what I was doing and got a lot of faith... with no GP points. My plan had been to get Jesuit building purchases. That wound up going to Spain. Oops. I had planned to use my stocked up faith to go get Spain's religion and bring it home. But by then I had labs up in most places. So I founded a city by spain, then sold it to them, then went to war with them anyway (since they were the only one anywhere near me scientifically), using a bunch of tanks and mech inf that i bought with faith.

Not really, though it was ok due to my conquests.

Every city built Faith district first then Science, then Industry. Eventually I started skipping Faith when I saw that strategy had failed. Got universities and labs up asap.

Domination basically, oops. Sucks people hate you after one war.

They're kind of fun. I wasn't suzerain of a ton of them, but i had 6 envoys in most.

See below.

Totally. I haven't had a game where I played around like that for years -- I didn't know what I was doing to get to science victory, so I wound up way ahead, stomping people.

Thanks!

The Aztecs are SICK for domination. Their special ability is a heckuva snowball. Capture builders and then use them for districs? Wow! Then later the policy about cheap workers with more builds... crazy powerful.

This is my first emperor win. I meant to just take out Japan since they were so close, but one thing led to another. Didn't build any entertainment districts til I was past researching Robotoics -- maybe one or two.

Civ 6 continues to frustrate me in a lot of ways, but I have to remember I didn't like 5 at first either.

Id id have to reload from autosave at turn 232 because of a stupid bug.

This one: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58r1jr/civ_6_checkmate_two_units_in_my_city_stacked/
and another link about it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/move-stacked-unit-request-no-valid-locations.394869/

It got tedious to keep using builders for districts, but hey that's the price you pay for a huge thing that almost feels overpowered.

I killed the science but didn't know what to do about production... or realize you can't build certain modules til you do the first two missions. Kind of cool structure. Figured out how trade caravans work for production -- good to know!

I liked that the moon launch gives culture since I had lagged on that. If I'm calculating right, it gave me 21 turns worth of culture -- my cpt was 250 and bpt 522.

Learned lesson re great engineer and projects. Had all cities doing engineering projects in a democracy and then realized -- i passed up one I didn't want, and no other civs were anywhere close to claiming one! So I could never get a GE. LAME. Seems like I should have a chance to go back and recruit him after all in that case.

Fun to pick up lots of wonders at the end. I love that Great Zimbabwe requires cattle. Not sure how I feel about having to use prime real estate in core cities to build wonders. That kind of sucks.

Attachments

• justwonMONTEZUMA 273 1804 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
SV 141 (dlc)

Spoiler bummer, could have made it under 140T :

but miscalculated the chopping power...

Thanks for the game and happy new year

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 141 SV.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
SV 141 (dlc)

Spoiler bummer, could have made it under 140T :

but miscalculated the chopping power...

Thanks for the game and happy new year
That's amazing. How did you do this so fast?? Both the conquering and the module building. My modules were taking like 16-20 turns with size 15 or 20 cities with factories, running tons of trade routes.

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

I'm playing the DLC version of this in multiplayer mode (I had no idea you could do that.) I haven't won yet but I'm on about turn 200 and have finished my spaceport and working on the earth satellite. A domination victory would probably be faster because I don't have enough gold/faith to buy all the scientists; nobody else is competing so I'll have to earn/buy all of them. Maybe I ought to build 2 more spaceports and do all the Mars project in parallel. I only discovered one scientific CS, but it doesn't matter anymore because I will finish the whole tech tree before I finish all the projects even if I snag Carl Sagan.

I declared war on Japan on turn 1 or 2. Captured a settler and lots of warriors, and took Kyoto before he founded another city. That gave me lots of room to sprawl. Every city got a campus, and I used my high-production cities to make builders to build the districts in my tundra cities. I didn't build enough commercial districts, so gold was tight for most of the game, and even when that wasn't a problem anymore I don't have a huge surplus.

Sumeria and Rome declared war on me and I didn't even know it. (no popups in multiplayer, I guess) I took a nice Sumerian city (had Petra) and then made peace so I could focus on Rome. Then I declared a formal war on Sumeria again and took most of his cities. I have 17 different luxuries, and that's without toys, jeans, or perfume. :crazyeye: So my tanks can attack modern walled cities even without artillery backup. Good times.

Top Bottom