6otM07 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM07 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you use war to get to Space? Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
- Did you use diplomacy? How?
- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

T169 SV.

I tried to get a good balance between culture/gold/science and 2 cities with decent production for the spaceport and Big Ben. I got monuments first in almost every city, also CD with markets/banks and campi with libraries/universities. 2 waves of builders, the first ilkum into serfom, the 2. when i got public works. The 2. wave was mainly used to chop. t94 Colloseum for more crucial culture. Internal trade routes to buff weak cities into international traderoutes to Jakarta and Amsterdam. Divine Spark pantheon/Stockholm/campus projects for a constantly high output of GSP. Timed Big Ben/Democracy/spaceport to finish 4 1/2 parts in 1 turn with Kwolek/Sagan and 4 wood chops.

27, approx. half settled, half captured.

I focused on the upper part of the tech tree to cross the ocean asap and get the rocketry tech early. Construcion time of the spaceport really hurts now that overlapping IZ`s are gone. Afterwards i finished the tech tree following heurekas. For policies i beelined for political philosophy->mercenaries->exploration->civil engineering->enlightenment->suffrage. Governments were classical republic->merchant republic->democracy.

I conquered China early on after they DOWed me in t14. Afterwards i just kept fighting everybody i met unil the end. I killed China, France and Sumeria and took cities from every other civ except Russia.

I started with 2 warriors and 11 archers. Added 10 chariots and 2 battering rams around t80, timed stirrups and mercenaries to get knights asap. I sent 5 knights+battering ram to the other continent and kept 5 knights+ram on the home continent, assisted by the archers and 4-5 xbows.

Not much, for obvious reasons the ai didn`t like me. I sold some luxuries early on and i got a lot of gold from peace deals.

Not at all.

Yes, i liberated Stockholm and Seoul from America/England by t110-120 and suzerained them until the end. Nan-Madol was also pretty helpful because the ai cities had harbors and coastal districs as well as some TD`s, so culture was not a problem. Gold from Amsterdam and Jakarta.

The early game was really hard , more details in the opening threat. I wasn`t even sure if i would survive.

Yes i enjoyed it a lot, like most of the time when playing a gotm.:goodjob:

Spoiler :
20170117215234_1.jpg

Attachments

• Gotm7 t169SV.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, finally... I thought the Ai do not know how to go for SV...Then I lost at T289 as I was not paying attention to their development(I was very passive)...Then I replay from T280 and took down their spaceport and I won at T300...

Settled 3(including cap), captured 7
The war tech (archery machinery) as well as the sci tech...
For the policy, I went for the Ideology line, but I was way-way behind in culture...
War-ed a bit... until I lost the interest to continue with war(I am a passive player who do not really want to move too much). Then DOWed Victoria at T285 to destroy her spaceport.
A modern armour army, cause I do not know what to do at that time...Then it went on to raid Victoria..
Ya...Switched a city with peter for landing zone.
Nope. everything are grabbed at T20-30... no chance for religion...
Nope... all too far away and I was too lazy to scout ard...
The bloody AIs know how to do SV....I load the game 10t ago before I lost..
OKish...Norway is not my civ...

Attachments

• 20170121003829_1.jpg
    20170121003829_1.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 187
  • AutoSave_0299.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 169
t323 1922ad score about 1290

Full disclosure: my first attempt I lost in the first handful of turns to a suprise war by China, through misclicking my slinger out of the city instead of shooting the enemy. So my game doesn't count for any competition since I replayed those first 12 turns, but its not like it would be anything other than the slowest victory.

2 settled, about a hundred captured.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I focused on science, but actually it was more of a continuous war game, as combat is the one area where the AI sucks SOOOO bad that I can easily deal with it even on Immortal level. All other game aspects, they get too many bonuses which even my most concerted efforts cannot match.
- Did you use war to get to Space? Yes. A lot. But most of my wars were started to prevent somebody else from winning somehow. Who did you send to the dustbin of history? Russians and egyptians. Actually, the Chinese attacked me first, so I left them with one city for the rest of the game. Then the Gilga's attacked and got the same treatment. Then I focused on building, as I had the biggest empire. Then I got attacked by Egypt and England together... so I eliminated Egypt and decimated England. Since my army was there, I decimated the Arabs because their religion and culture was causing me annoyance. Finally, I had to attack France as they were almost done with their own spaceship - and then I used their spaceports. Weird how after losing the capitol they give me all but one city for peace - I thought that got resolved in CivV patches.
- What did you build for an Army and how did it change? slingers to rocket artillery - I kept it current thru upgrades. Of course, my opponents never upgrade so mostly outmatched in technology and in numbers.
- Did you use diplomacy? How? To hear how much of a warmonger I am for being attacked by others.
- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. Had to keep an eye out for Saladin - was safe as China's lone city was unapproachable due to carpet of pikemen and catapults (at games end).
- Were City-States helpful? Nah... only marginally so. Most on my continent were captured by my opponents. I took Jakarta of Gilga, and late liberated one from Rusia just to see how that works... but no - city states are to me a stupid incarnation in the game.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Ummm.. yeah, the early DOW by China caught me of guard (the first time).
- Did you enjoy the game? Actually, it became quite tedious at the end. War outcomes never in doubt, but take a lot of time to execute. The final turns of building spaceship parts were really slow even though all I need to do is hit "end turn" a dozen times or so.

Quite frankly, if they don't improve the AI at a strategic level (not just giving them more bonuses), then the game is broken and will soon be unplayable for me.
Question: Has ANYONE ever encountered anti-aircraft or even aircraft from another civ than your own? I sure haven't, which leave about a dozen military units completely nonsensical to have in the game.

Attachments

• HARALD HARDRADA 343 1922 ADwin.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 168
Replay game, not a submission - I lost on T26, restarted and did my best to follow the same moves. Sumeria didn't declare second time around so it was a much simpler start.

Turn 226 SV

11 founded, 6 captured, 17 total

Bit of a mix. I went Currency / Apprenticeship as usual, then Machinery for crossbows and while waiting for a GS for Education. Then picked up some Norway techs for Longships and Beserkers, then back to the beeline for Electricity and Rocketry.
Civics went for Feudalism, Mercenaries / Exploration, then a mostly straight line for Suffrage. Ran Meritocracy for culture for a lot of the game.
Did Big Ben, bought 3 GS's and used Kwolek/Sagan to finish the 3 Mars modules as soon as I teched Nuclear Fusion. Science was the bottleneck for me, plenty of spare cash and Democracy a good 20 turns earlier.

Took China and France, then switched to defense. I would have invaded Russia but my crossbows couldn't take their encampments and I didn't want to build more units.

I think 6-8 archers and 2 warriors at the start which got through China and half of France, hit Machinery and Mercenaries on T104 just as the top 3 archers were ready to level up to 4. Really nice timing and the 2-attack crossbows finished off France and held off Russian and Sumerian attacks for the rest of the game. A few other support units - couple of horsemen, couple of swordsmen, couple of beserkers. Only change after that was attrition - lost a few melee units to Russian crossbows and a couple of crossbows to a single English redcoat which landed near Nidaros and just hung around levelling up and refusing to die from crossbows and bombardment until I teched and built an AT crew.

Everyone hated me most of the time, I was at war with everyone except the US at least once. Mostly they sued for peace after about 5 turns and gave me gold, except England who really hated me for some reason. Exported luxuries for gold for most of the game and even got luxuries in return from the US. Good relations seem kind of optional in an SV game.

Not for me, though there was the usual bunch of apostles running around to ignore.

Not much so in this game. Jakarta stayed alive and I quickly got up to 6 envoys there. I didn't build encampments so Preslav and Kabul weren't useful. Pumped late-game envoys into Stockholm and Seoul. Didn't push for suzerain status anywhere, though I had it a few times.

Lots of early fighting, but not really a surprise on the replay :) I was surprised by how hard it was to kill a single redcoat when all you have is crossbows and horses - if the AI was capable of invading properly we wouldn't be able to make do with such a minimal military. It reminds me of Civ 1 where the AI would land 2 units next to your city every 30 turns instead of bringing multiple ships at the same time.

Yes, it was good fighting back from a tough start to a respectable finish. Also surprisingly fun playing a civ that has basically no relevant bonuses (as long as there's enough targets for expansion you can get ahead with anyone!)

Turn 309 Score 1111 Eleanor

How many cities did you settle or capture?
25 I captured all of them or the settlers i used to found them.
I prioritized goverment enlargement so i went from Oligarchy to Merchant Republic and then to Communism and after that the space techs.
Sumeria China France all went early then Russia by 150.
England got way ahead of me with 5 spaceports and only 2 parts to build plus nanotech to research so I declared on them and pillaged their facilities. Also some spy sabotage and finally nuked the heck of them just to be on the safe side..
Archers and upgrades to cannons. Built a few arties to finish off Russia giving me the whole starting continent. I hadnt planned on building any more military but i did build a pile of armor in the end tho i never used it. Some subs which i used to launch the nukes.
Nope
Not really. America had all the other civs converted but never even sent a missionary to me.
Jakarta and Cartage were useful all along and Toronto a bit at the end. The added production from many trade routes helped get the space parts done more quickly. I didnt really have a powerhouse production city.
I got a surprise when i launch my satellite and saw all those english spaceports. Thought i had lost at that point but due to the ai being mindless i managed to salvage the win.
Note I kept waiting fro Sagan to show up but I never saw him ~ would have made a big difference to my finish. I checked the historical queue but i didnt see him there either. Are the GP somewhat random?

It was interesting. My first immortal level game so bit of a learning curve. I shouldn,t have coasted after taking out the russians. Probably ought to have started my spaceports much sooner.

Attachments

• HARALD HARDRADA 309 1876 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Defeat, turn 19.

Well, that was quick :(
Fresh from a T222 victory in 6otM 5, I thought this should be quite easy, at least in the beginning.
Boy, was I wrong. Rushed by four Chinese warriors my warrior and slinger didn't stand a chance.

Will probably replay for fun, as I am from Norway and have a scientific education myself :)

turn 297 victory, SCORE 926

disclosure:
This was my 2nd attempt after falling tremendously behind in my first attempt ~t120 from surprise barb invasions, missing wonder constructions by 1 turn, forgetting to swap polcies, etc, etc
So although this game doesn't officially count I'm still relatively new to civ6 and consider this a learning experience.
I really wanted to play this gotm and make some posts knowing I could do well so long as took very careful turns so I made a 2nd game from scratch without any replaying and I think I did pretty decent.

getting apprenticeship and industrialization asap research wise
Most of my policies were for amenities, gold, science and housing.

Conquered both China and Sumeria very early on, and then went to war vs the other civs so they would give me everything they had for peace deals.

Mostly archers and crossbows early on. Made a few knights, calvary, tanks are the game progressed but the bulk of my army was ranged troops.

not really except for planting a few spies on my main cities to protect.

not so much, never founded a religion instead made a few holy sites for faith to purchase great people.

somewhat, the military states helped unit production and being the suzerain of Carthage helped trade route capacity.

a few really big barbarian armies spawned just outside my borders which substantially slowed me down.
Saladin somehow had absurd science getting 150/turn around 100AD.

Even though it was a replay I very much enjoyed the play-through and since I never replayed turns on my 2nd game I feel it almost counts.
Spoiler WIN :

SCORE OF 926

Attachments

• gotm7 win turn 296.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 190
  • spacewin.jpg
    spacewin.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:
Turn 283 launch.

After the initial war period where I took two from China, I went on a settler binge and popped out 6.

From there I took two more from China (consigning them to history) and wheeled south to take a bunch from Sumeria (including Jakarta). I was going to stop but couldn't help myself. Sumeria's last bastion was absorbed.

Russia declared an expansion war which went rather badly for him.

I peaced out a few times to take cities here and there but most expansion was through conquest.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?

Bee-lined Engineering for catapults. Hoped for iron but there was none close by so made do with 2 cats a few warriors and archers. From there it was mainly focussed on getting production going and commerce up then to spaceport tech.

Did you use war to get to Space? Who did you send to the dustbin of history?

They started it!

China died in the Classical era.

Sumeria stayed a one city empire for a little while but kept denouncing me so I figured he could go.

Russia didn't like me so I took everything he had on my landmass (final city just a turn before launch) but wouldn't peace out. (He had a couple of cities on the nearby landmass discovered with satellites).

France was green smilies (she hated Russia) but suddenly surprise DOW'd with no visible negative modifiers. That was new but surprisingly welcome - like the CiV days. My army out of place so mechs rushed back and steam rolled her obsolete forces before consigning her three city "empire" to join China and Sumeria.

What did you build for an Army and how did it change?

Initial war was archers and warriors plus a battering ram.

Subsequent wars were bombard/art/rocket plus musket/infantry/mech with knight/tank/modern armour.

If I wasn't going for science I'd have built more units but had enough to get the job done.

Alas, I didn't own a single ship the whole game and didn't bother with an airforce.

Did you use diplomacy? How?

Tried to befriend France but she turned on me. Liz put a city on the coast but was an insta-hater so didn't bother with her.

Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.

I didn't have time for religion but with my conquests ended up generating a decent amount of faith to purchase a few Great People along the way. (China helpfully built Stonehenge).

Arabia sent a swarm of apostles near the end so I denounced him, ready for a DOW just in case but I basically had too many cities for him to convert and wasn’t pushing out any missionaries or apostles for him to convert by combat.

I met America near the end but as I was swallowing cities, he didn’t like me.

Were City-States helpful?

Not really. Preslav may have given me a small boost. Carthage was a mild annoyance at best - aligned with Russia.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Oh, like the opening double DOW... Dealt with with a mild panic and slingers/archers.

Also, didn't build as many IZ's due to patch but discovered that also limited the amount it was possible to push Great Engineer points to rush parts. Should have built a third or even fourth spaceport but made do with two. Third/fourth probably would have saved me 20 - 30 turns or so.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes. But production sooo slow. Spaceport took something like 50 turns to build so finished the rest of tech tree by turn 240-something then killed time warring with Russia and France.

If it wasn't for that war I might have grown a little bored.

Attachments

• HARALD HARDRADA 284 1826 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 167
Lost in turn 332 to Russia through cultural Victory. They were very close to win with science victory as well, even if I was rushing

Only setteled 4 city, captured one from China, and got one offered as peace treaty by china

I tried to go to Rocketry direct
For cultural : nothing specific

Almost no war. I got atatcked by china very early, and pushed it back and finished with two cities. With only bows and clubs.

I did not really built an army

Got friendly with almost everyone. Allied almost all game with Gilgamesh for a peaceful border

Nope

No. I did not discover any city state in fact.

Yes : early attck from china, almost no city state (and my explorers got killed)

The attack was easily fend off, but troubled me. I tried to be peaceful after that, but the huge empire of peter proved much too powerful in both culture and science

Yes

Attachments

• HARALD HARDRÅDE 332 1911 ap. J.-C..Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 170
T302 SV

Made 0 use of Norway's unique abilities or units. The map wouldn't have suited it much for the early conquest and i think all i might have done, had i built some longships, was discover the other continent sooner. Interesting to see how a SV can be won with a handicap (given Norway and the map's complete lack of help for this style of victory).

13 cities, of which settled maybe 6

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Beelined for research centres, then to clear out SV techs.

EDIT: I was in a race with Arabia for SV from very early on. They consistently outpaced me in # of techs and beakers/turn, but I finally overhauled them building research labs and oxford uni, exceeding 300 beakers.

Did you use war to get to Space? Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
Not really. I annexed china and France. I would have gone on but my archer army was outmatched by summeria's city defenses by the time i'd done with france. Russia surprise DoW'd me int he final 10 turns or so to provide some ligth relief to the clicking turns.

What did you build for an Army and how did it change?

Archers and then horsemen. Upgraded them only at the end wen i had surplus cash.

Did you use diplomacy? How?

Only to trade amenities.

EDIT: Diplomacy did also play a part in the cessation of my warmongering. I got a bit freaked out by the endless denunciations, which made a general DOW on me possible. Russia's higher tech army, the continent wide border of my territory with potential enemies (Summeria and Russia) and my small army of 8 archers and 3 horsemen would not have been enough.

Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.

Everyone else seemed to be interested in this thing called faith but it went way over my head. Arabia had a good thing going on with their combo of religion and science though.

Were City-States helpful?

Not at all. Jakarta was nobbled by France early on and i left my exploring so late that i only discovered Amsterdam in the last 50 odd turns.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

This was my first game on Immortal, so I was surprised at the rapacity of the civs, capturing CS' and their speed of development. I think I only built 3 settlers, the rest were all captured.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes, I had a practice game to warm up which went very similarly, although on Emperor. Thanks for all the work organising the 6oTM!

Attachments

• ALHP HARALD HARDRADA 302 1862 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
T169 SV.

Timed Big Ben/Democracy/spaceport to finish 4 1/2 parts in 1 turn with Kwolek/Sagan and 4 wood chops.

I am in awe at your victory turn time.

Also, I have no idea how timing BigBen, democracy and spaceport enabled you to build 4 spaceship projects (unless I'm mistaken) in 1 turn...

Is this some sort of stack overflow exploit?

While I'm at it, should Kwolek and Sagan be popped before a project or during it? +100% production suggests they should be done BEFORE, but the build time doesn't shorten whenever i've popped them.

I am in awe at your victory turn time.

Also, I have no idea how timing BigBen, democracy and spaceport enabled you to build 4 spaceship projects (unless I'm mistaken) in 1 turn...

While I'm at it, should Kwolek and Sagan be popped before a project or during it? +100% production suggests they should be done BEFORE, but the build time doesn't shorten whenever i've popped them.
Yes, it appears that Civ6 is not much different from Civ5 in that aspect- if you do a spreadsheet and time everything to the minutia... there are great gains to be made. Of course all civ games have had similar exploitable traits, and that's a way to excel. Nowadays with the internet and sharing, everyone has access to these strategies that make the intended "for fun" play totally non-competitive. So is your fun following a recipe for fast finish. or is the fun in improvising and making the best? All for the player to decide, and civ is as great in v1 as v6 in that way. Enjoy, whatever that meabs for you! I am also amazed at what is possible, but would feel it is more like work than like play to actually be competitive in these. So I am glad I give the hardcore player something to feel superior about when I submit my crazy fun games. :queen:

Victory T311 - 1880AD - Score: 897. Used Carl Sagan to boost the last piece of the Mars Mission. I signed up for these forums just to post my report since it was so much fun!

Settled 2, captured 16, razed ~5

Nothing special, though the first half of the game was all about conquering my entire continent, so the focus was Archer rush, Crossbowmen, then Field Cannon

Yes, so much yes. China, France, Sumeria, were completely wiped out. I wiped out all but one city of Russia

Started with 6 archers and 1 warrior, saved those ranged units throughout the rest of the game, eventually using 5 armies of field cannons plus bombards and musket-men.

Nope, everyone hated me for being a warmonger but I didn't care

I didn't get a religion, but I conquered three religion founders. I ALMOST LOST to Arabia's religious victory, but I spent all my saved faith to re-convert my cities to various religions. Then I declared war on him so I could murder his missionaries and apostles.

Sorta, mostly they were allied with my enemies and were annoying to fight around.

Just that almost religion victory by Arabia. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

Oh yeah, super fun. It was mostly fun because I know that a lot of people were playing the same game as me.

Looking forward to next month!

Attachments

• RandyKnapp_6otM07_FinalTurn.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 175
Victory Date: Turn 324, 1903 AD. Score 519.

This was my first 6otM, first Immortal game (only played King difficulty), and first Civ6 game to finish (always played Epic speed, simply took too long).
I was really shocked about China´s DoW in about turn 12, but fortunately had built 2 warriors and was about to stack them up with slingers/archers... after I took 2 Chinese satellite cities and made peace, I was able to take Xi´an with some more archers. After that I remained peaceful, not claiming any land through war.
Building (or at least placing) a science district in any city asap gave me a huge advantage in science, but I really messed things up related to culture, so that in Industrial era I had to build culture buildings to match up with my scientific progress (spaceport was placed under the legacy of my merchant republic I assume).
Focussed on internal trade routes, but after all, in late game this was really a bad idea - I fell behind in gold output (and the production output of Nidaros itself was way 100++).
Related to wonders, I managed Oxford University, Ruhr Valley and Forbidden Palace in Nidaros, and built Colosseum in Bejing, reaching 4 cities.
Really interesting was that two - even in this playthrough - cultural Civs, the US and Russia, managed to compete for the SV, so that I needed to send spies in order to bring down their numerous spaceports, as well as the fact that Arabia, though having lost its capital to the US really early on, nearly managed a RV with a massive invasion of missionaries and apostles, but finally dindn´t manage to get rid of the three different religions of Sumeria, France and Russia (as well as the Chinese Taoism, but I didn´t spread that).
All in all I was completely ignoring any of Norways uniques.:undecide:

Settled 4 (one with Chinese Settler), took 3 from China

Early to mid-game nothing (except Archery), afterwards I beelined the relevant SV techs. For government I went Oligarchy -> Merchant Republic -> Democracy.
After the Industrial Era I had quite a few problems with Inspirations and Eurekas, since I never played any further.

- What order did you take down your opponents?

I only took out China, after an early DOW. Afterwards I remained peaceful, except for defensive reasons against Sumeria.

-What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
Early on I built 2 Warriors and about 8 Slingers/Archers and 1 Spearman. Those kept being upgraded and stayed the core of my small army, later on I built a couple of ships (Battleship, Destroyers, Submarines) to prevent America to invade me, as well as a couple of Mobile SAM, as I only had one Spaceport in Nidaros and was scared about a nuclear strike of the US.

Not really, tried to be peaceful and friendly, but there wasn`t even a declaration of friendship. In the end, I managed everybody to stay neutral, except the US being a little alerted about my espionage missions regarding their spaceports.

Not really. I never built any Holy Sites, took one at Xi´an, so my Faith output was rather low, unfortunately.

Not really. Early on I could only reach the two CSs on the home continent, and built a Caravel far too late. At least I managed to stay suzerain of - I don`t know, the mercantile City State on the home continent, having it as a kinda "buffer zone".

I was really surprised of how well the US and Russia managed the SV route. America had about 6 Spaceports and met all conditions except two, so I sent lots of espionage missions in there. Russia was also pretty strong in this.

First half of the game was really interesting, afterwards it was all about to finish the Spaceship without really any other tasks. 6/10, because the SV handicap of Norway made me use none of their uniques.
But a lot of thanks for all the effort! Cannot await the next 6otM!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 6otM won.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 152
  • 20170125231913_1.jpg
    20170125231913_1.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 191

You can buy all great scientists in one turn with the gold generated by Big Ben and the discount from Democracy. If you use Kwolek on your spaceport, all future production for spacship projects gets doubled. So if you use Kwolek into Sagan, Sagan is worth 6000 cogs. Combined with 4 chops (those yields get doubled as well) you have all the production needed to finish every part. Because you can only finish 1 part at a time, no matter what production overflow you have, you need at least 4 chops for the reamining 4 parts to finish in one turn. (A new influx of production into a city with high production overflow will instantly finish whatever the city is building.)

Last edited:
@whacker thanks for that explanation!

@kcd_swede fair enough, I generally agree with you that I can't/don't want to take this too seriously, but for me to win in nearly twice the time as someone else is pretty staggering. I thought I'd done all I could but that appears to be quite wrong! There's a whole world of understanding between @whacker's level and mine. Better stop there before I sound too sycophantic... Anyway, for someone who doesn't play multiplayer, this is a good way of measuring myself against others and learning the ropes too.

Last edited:
@whacker, another amazing game from you, congratulation on the fast win.
I'm still trying to study your method by examining the save file.
I'm amazed how you could have 2 districts, with tier 2 buildings some more in most of the core cities, and simultaneously having such a respectable army so early in the game?

1. How do you spend your money? Do you generally buy buildings, units or tiles?
2. Usually at what point do you start saving up for Big Ben timing?
3. I understand you usually start new city with monument to get some culture going at the beginning. At what point you stop building monument for new city? Is there a benchmark I can use? In my learning games, I find that by the end I have 300+ culture per turn, which is a bit overkill?

@whacker thanks for that explanation!

@kcd_swede fair enough, I generally agree with you that I can't/don't want to take this too seriously, but for me to win in nearly twice the time as someone else is pretty staggering. I thought I'd done all I could but that appears to be quite wrong! There's a whole world of understanding between @whacker's level and mine. Better stop there before I sound too sycophantic... Anyway, for someone who doesn't play multiplayer, this is a good way of measuring myself against others and learning the ropes too.

You are correct, if you truly understand a certain game mechanic and what it is good for, then when you go play just for fun... you can have a lot of fun. For me, its a bit of "sour grapes" perhaps... but if the patches and updates and expansions keep it interesting enough, I'd like to get there myself one day. :thumbsup:

Victory T311 - 1880AD - Score: 897. Used Carl Sagan to boost the last piece of the Mars Mission. I signed up for these forums just to post my report since it was so much fun!
Welcome to the forums! Nice game, btw!

Top Bottom