1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM07 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jan 15, 2017.

1. whacker

whacker Chieftain

1. I buy a lot of tiles early. Sometimes even if i don`t need them immediatly just to get them while they are cheap. Unit upgrades are the other big part of my expenses. I usually don`t buy buildings/units, only to get heurekas in time if needed.
    2. That really depends on the game. Basically you want to finish the tech tree, Big Ben and Democracy as close as possible. A rough benchmark for a game that lasts about 160-170 turns is 35k gold for all the great scientists. You need to get a feeling how long it takes to save around 17k gold. In my experience gold is never the problem. Production time of the spaceport and finishing the tech tree are the bottlenecks.
    3. Only the very last cities don`t get monuments. Most conquered cities do have them, if a conquered city doesn`t have a monument i usually don`t build it and focus on districts instead.

2. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Defeat for me on turn 17. I unfortunately explored to the South and saw China coming too late to get back. I decided not to replay since the Aztecs were released and would rather save Norway for a game that better suits their abilities. Nice job to everyone who managed a victory on this one!

3. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

T320 SV.

Learning how to play Civ6 along with you guys and it's been very enjoyable so far. This was my first Immortal game.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    22, 9 settled and 13 captured.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Military techs early on just to stay alive, research techs after I conquered China and France. My culture output was quite low so I followed the eurekas I had for the civics.

- Did you use war to get to Space? Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    I see more or less everyone got DoW'd early on by China, my game was no different. Couple that with two barbarian camps just outside my capital and the early game was an all-out war. I only produced military units for the first 60 turns or so. I was on the verge of giving up, but I persevered and conquered China and then France (Bersekers worked great against the French). Even before I attacked France I knew my ultimate goal was Peter since Russia was a runaway civ both technologically and culturally. This happened in the late game when pretty much everyone attacked Peter. I was just about to enter St. Petersburg when I won a SV.

- What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
    Always tried to maintain a mixture of 3-4 ranged, 2-3 bombard units and 2 melee units. Mid-game built corps with them. The attack on Russia was supported by a couple of battleships (later upgraded to missile cruisers) and destroyers.

- Did you use diplomacy? How?
    I actually managed to maintain a friendship with Gilgamesh throughout the game. We even had an alliance for what felt like half of the game and a defensive pact once. Had 3 research agreements. Everyone else hated me.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
    Nope. Must say that I prefer the religion of Civ5 where it was a potent bonus, but not a victory condition.

- Were City-States helpful?
    A little bit, but they were not a priority. Was allied to Stockholm and Amsterdam for a long time. In the end I lost them, but gained Carthage.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    The early struggle and the continuous friendship with Gilgamesh. Usually everyone ends up hating me in Civ6, even when I play peacefully.

- Did you enjoy the game?
    This was the most exciting game I've had in Civ6. Thank you for that. :)

Attached Files:

4. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

At turn 245 I quit. I'm 11 techs behind, my culture is terrible, I can't earn a great person to save my life, and my cities have no production. The only thing I'm competitive at is military (I'm in 2nd place there)

I have no business playing at this level. I think the winning move was to kill everybody.

5. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

I know it can be disheartening, but try to stay in the game. There's nothing to learn from quitting. Take it from me, I've been playing Civ since Civ 2, always at the equivalent of Prince-King level, anything above felt unfair because I would quickly go behind in science and/or military. But in Civ5 I started to just play the games 'till the end and learn from my mistakes. In time, I ended up winning on Deity.

hongyu20 likes this.
  6. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I'll keep playing Civ6, just not this particular game. I might start over and see if I can do better next time.

At least I survived the first 20 turns, unlike some people ;)

7. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

Resigned at turn 42. China declared war on me, Barbarians spawned to the left while I was busy with them, and then Sumeria declared war too. Yep, a 3-front war.

Maybe the barbarians running amok in the west was bad luck which drew my attention elsewhere, didn't have time to explore there. Sumeria finding me too early (around turn 15) wasn't a good sign either.

EDIT: Dead again, Sumeria and China just declared a Joint War. Tried to mass build Slingers this time, but they couldn't hold too. My Warrior and 1 Slinger died in the turn I researched Archery to have Archers. Guess this map needs quite an amount of luck, so that Barbarians and the AI clash against each other.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. CaptainFranz

CaptainFranz Chieftain

Science victory T288 - 1834AD - Score 904

This was a really tough one. First one of the last few games where my initial 3 archers + 1 warrior attack failed. Basically had my timing push on China delayed by an attack from Sumeria and a heavy barb wave just enough to prevent me from taking more than one city. I was not sure how to proceed after that. I was planning to play most of the game peacefully after the usual early conquest. So I sit around for 30 or 40 turns, but I didn't like the Chinese army at my borders that kept growing and finally decided to attack once I got knights and crossbowmen. From there, I went on and off with war with Russia being my main target. Rolled through Sumeria in the process.
    I am shocked at the T169 victory. I know that I couldn't fully execute my planned strategy and I don't feel as confident in playing science (and cultural) victory as well as domination. Nonetheless, I still got all the relevant great scientists, but I was unaware of all the tricks to build parts so fast. I probably also didn't go through the tech tree as optimally but, hey, I am here to learn :)
    I am still very happy that I managed to win this one in a reasonable time. Given how things were going I really didn't know whether I was going to pull it off until at least T150 or even T200. Also, still looks like I fared better than most, so I won't complain :)

8 settled, 16 captured (5 from China, 2 from Sumeria, the rest from Russia).

For tech, I opened AH into archery as usual. Then tried to prioritize a bit more non-war tech, going writing/currency/apprenticeship a little earlier than usual and trying to get up some districts. Unfortunately, that was kind of short-lived, as I had to tech aggressively to war all the way into the modern era to guard myself from Russia's cultural victory.
    For civics, nothing in particular to push through. I had a loose focus on military tech, mostly to form corps and armies that were fundamental in taking on Russia.
    For government, I started classical republic as I meant to play peacefully most of the game. Then switched to monarchy as I was heavy on military through most of the game. Finally went into communism thinking that the bonus production was the best thing for science victory... I am now aware of the democracy + big ben + purchase all scientists + build everything in one turn trick and will plan on that for the next game...

Way more war than I was planning on initially. I had my sights on China first. First attack failed, so I had to wait until I had knights and crossbowmen to take them down. Didn't eliminate them from the game though. Next was Sumeria as I was trying to find my way to Russia via land. Didn't eliminate them either. Declared on Russia a couple of times, but I had to wait until the modern age before I was really competitive enough to take cities from them, since they were ahead of me in teach for the entire game.

Started 3 archers + 1 warrior. Then went the usual combined army. Built a few chariots into knights and horsemen into cavalry. Upgraded melee and ranged too. Added new units to heavily upgraded ones to form corps first and armies a little later. I like the combined army because it always allows me to have something decent to fight with while some of the other units can be used to finish off and/or sit out a few rounds while they wait for upgrades. The continued lack of iron really really hurt me. I should have founded a crappy city just to get iron but I didn't feel like it and was left trying to get at least 1 via trading while almost everybody hated me due to warmongering.

I intended to, but ended up using very little. I managed to maintain good relationship with France most of the time, until they suddenly decided to declare on me during the modern era and get their swordsmen/catapults/chariots destroyed by my mech infantry / modern armor / helicopters, lol.
    After taking a good amount of cities from Peter, he gave me 3 more in a peace deal, but this basically had no influence on the game as it was very late.

Ignored as usual. Sumeria managed to convert 3 civs and stopped there.

Built up to 6 envoy in commercial / science ones. I was in a tough competition with America over Stockholm. I typically don't waste my time in this kind of stuff, but I really wanted to make sure they didn't get that bonus. The bonus was in fact pretty helpful. I ended up with 15 envoys there.

Quite a few this time. From my initial attack on China failing, to finding out very late that Russia was on my continent to realizing after a few turns that my knights were not healing due to the lack of iron... twice.
    Regarding diplomacy, I was surprised when France declared on me in the modern age, when I had an infinitely more powerful army than theirs. We were on good terms for most of the game, although they refused to ever befriend me. I was also surprised that our relationship never showed warmongering penalties, while I ended up at -150 with everybody else. Not sure if this was due to their agenda or what... just weird.
    As a more general comment, I am still surprised of how much you can basically ignore diplomacy all the time. I had exactly 0 units defending anywhere, the AI almost never declared on me even when my army was on the opposite side of the continent. There is much more to gain in going heavily militaristic than there is to lose... even later on in the game. I am starting to wonder whether this is a better strategy at the moment even for victory conditions other than domination (and I am not just talking about the standard early conquest).

Thoroughly. This was easily the most challenging I have played so far. I was never sure of victory until at least T150 or T200. Granted that was just because of my initial failed attack. Russia and America were both going for cultural victory. Thankfully they were going about the same pace so they kept racing against each other. I also thoroughly enjoyed stealing a ridiculous amount of great works from both of them! And the modern age war against Russia with mech infantry / modern armor / rocket artillery was awesome.
    I didn't particularly like the civ + map combo. I think it would have been a bit more interesting to play on island map rather than continents. With this setup, every single unique ability / unit was basically completely useless.

Attached Files:

9. CappyAA

CappyAA Chieftain

Science Victory - Turn 283 - 1824 AD - Score 1044

I settled 10 and captured 22 for a total of 32 cities.

For science, I got Universities as fast as possible and Crossbows as fast as possible. After that, I worked my way up the tech tree normally. I don't think I'm very optimal about doing it. Learning a ton just from reading whacker's posts. For policies, I hit my governments as fast as possible and got into Democracy.

Yes I was in a constant war all game. After the initial rush by China. I went on the offensive. I had some units between us and declared around turn 30 when I saw a settler wandering around. I also declared on Sumeria a couple times - once when I saw a settler wandering around too. China and Sumeria were the first to go. Russia declared on me when I wasn't ready to fight back. The mountains also made it tough to get them. So I took out France next even though they were no threat to get a better position to take out Russia.

Started off with lots of crossbows and horsemen, and then just upgraded from there. By the end, I had some artillery, tanks, supported by naval attacks from battleships.

Not really.

Nope

I had Stockholm but Seoul kept on getting taken by America. If anything Jakarta was a pain b/c Sumeria had them and when we went to war, they kept sending units.

The early war was a big surprise as was Russia declaring on me. Sumeria came at me relatively early when I was fighting China and almost had my city. Was probably 1-2 turns away from getting me but I got a couple crossbows down there in time.

I did. I'm not efficient at all though. I have been studying whacker's posts. I tried another SV afterwards on Deity and got down to 240. Still have a long ways to go before getting sub 200 though. :)

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

10. DrZ

DrZ Chieftain

Managed to win this map on turn 272 after loosing my first 2 attempts at turn 12 from a Chinese attack. Didn't expect an attack so fast and started my first attempts with worker and scout first...

Didn't use any of the special abilities and units from Norway so I think i had to struggle a little, especially in the early game.

War is king in Civ 6 i think, one or two neighbors dead and you are in good shape, so i did went away and kill China, France and Sumeria. I would have killed Russia, but i felt i have enough for a good game and stopped there.

I will attach the save game anyway.

Thanks for the game, was a good one!

Attached Files:

11. Azathoth242

Azathoth242 Chieftain

First post!

T242 victory. Had a really nice start with almost wiping out Sumeria, France and Russia but spared them a cpl of cities. Then Commercial and Science districts in most cities (had about 20 cities, half captured).
    Screwed up the timing a bit with democracy, big ben, "space district" and GP but still satisfied.

Now GO AZTEC

Attached Files:

12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

13. arenquinha

arenquinha Chieftain

Defeat Turn 27 - Sumaria captured capitol

- How many cities did you settle or capture? 1
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Got writing
    - Did you use war to get to Space? Who did you send to the dustbin of history? Myself
    - What did you build for an Army and how did it change? Warrior and 2 slingers
    - Did you use diplomacy? How? Was declared war on twice
    - Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. No religion founded in game
    - Were City-States helpful? Never met one
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I was surprised by how close China and Sumeria were. On turn 9 China declared a surprise war against me and attacked with 4 warriors. No big deal, they hit the capitol a little bit was almost done wiping up their units when Sumaria declared a surprise war on turn 24. 3 war chariots and 2 warriors walk into my lands. Game over.
    - Did you enjoy the game? Not particularly lol

RaidandTrade likes this.
  14. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Science Victory on turn 303!

17 cities total 9 settled + 8 captured. Most of it was on the home continent, but I settled 3 cities (primarily for oil and uranium) on the northern island continent to our east and had 1 city producing wine on the southern island continent to the east.

Science & Industry based techs first, other stuff second. As for government I ended the game with Communism w/ Levee en Masse, Integrated Space Cell, National Identity, Triangular Trade, Rationalism, Free Market, Liberalism, Cryptography and 5-year plan (+1 due to Potala Palace I took from China)

A bit of war, China and Sumeria started it early, so in the mid game I took out my revenge on them. I wiped out all of Sumeria (122-150) and then took over most of China (179-200). Russia (192-206) then DoW'ed me, and after wiping out his army I took 1 city with some wine (I resources that I didn't have yet) in the peace deal. I was at a grudging peace with everyone else.

Started out with standard archers+warrior - but as time went on I tried my first go with the no-bombardment army and relied on a single Siege Tower along with swordsmen and knights to take cities with walls in the mid game - it was very effective. I modernized the army after that, but didn't fight any major battles in the late game.

Not really, everyone hated me but France, even though I only killed one Civ and stopped my warring 2/3's of the way through the game. I couldn't get France past neutral even though I had her at a +13 relationship modifier.

Nope, I didn't bother with it given the aggressive start - and continents map prevented any single AI from dominating the landscape

Not really, some were taken over by AI Civ's and i never got suzerain with anyone

Not really surprises but there were some key turning points in the game.
    I started out behind in tech for a long time. I was only able to keep pace with the use of Great Scientist Janaki Ammal who i was able to expend for 2000 Beakers (224)! Around the same time (223) I had also just barely beat Russia to the Ruhr Valley (I had a spy in St. Pete and could see his progress on the map).

Even then I was worried because Arabia had launched a satellite and England landed on the moon (both on 265) before we got our Satellite off the ground one turn later (266). But then Carl Sagan stopped by, and taught us how to go to the moon - and followed that up the next turn by sending a Hydroponics bay into orbit (274-275) catapulting us ahead. The race wasn't truly over, however, until one of my spies sabotaged the spaceport in London (276) taking out my closest rival.

In the meantime Russia was cruising towards a Culture victory. I considered invading him a few times in the mid to late 200's (250-270ish) but since he never got to the half way point of what he needed I decided not to.

I built spaceports in 2 other cities, thinking I would use them for the final push but my primary city with Ruhr Valley, helped by trade routes and other bonuses majorly outclassed them and I never needed them.

Yep, it was a challenging start - and in the mid game (120-220) I was still well behind and had to catch up to get the win. I don't think I really had the game finally won until the Sagan+Spy combo around turn 275. If I had missed that England probably would have won a Science Victory (if Russia didn't beat them with Culture first).

Spoiler :

The Norwegian industrial powerhouse of Guanzhou:
    20170207202635_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  15. Saykor

Saykor Chieftain

Turn 282 science victory with 898 scores.

total 28 cities = 13 captured + 15 settle

Almost all the time I was in a war. Destroy China, Sumeria and France

I usually supply small army. 5-6 archers + 2-3 catapults and 1-2 melee unit to capture cities.

Sell some lixaries but usually other civs hate me from so many wars that I do.

Nope

Yes I get trade city-states on my side to make more money.

Not after the beginning of the game.

It is always pleasure for me to play civ

Attached Files:

16. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Science Victory turn 248 (score 638 “Nero”)

After a narrow escape over the first 30 turns, this went relatively smoothly. I built an empire of 15 cities, conquering China and France (leaving the latter 1 city) along the way. Despite the subsequent 2000 years of peace, I was still classed as a warmonger by all AI except Saladin, whom I recovered to “unfriendly” by the end of the game! All my cities only grew to size 11 -13 as I focussed on production and science.

I was suzerain of Amsterdam and had good envoy status with the three cultural CS, but most other CS were conquered by AI (at least one was later captured and razed by barbarians). Barbarians in general were fairly hostile for first 100 turns, then largely disappeared.

My random GS tech boosts were laughably poor or irrelevant for science win, as were the free techs from Oxford (the only Wonder I built). On the other hand, both Korolev and Sagan turned up just when needed to markedly speed up the endgame.

I didn’t get much value from Harald’s bonuses:- longships are OK but there was so much land war at start of this game that they were not a high priority. The early access to ocean was helpful in exploration, but the AI on other continents were generally hostile and there were very few CS to discover. The ability to plunder shore tiles, esp. barb camps, was handy. I didn’t build a berserker and I completed a single Stave Church as my spaceship parts were under construction.

I used GP Projects extensively in mid- to late-game, they are very strong with Democracy. Glancing through the other submissions, it is clear that I should have built / conquered more cities for a more competitive finish.

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

17. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

T242, Score=972

28 cities. About 10 self settled.

Mainly followed eurekas. But the ultimate goal was Rocketry and Globalization. After the Rocketry, the required techs for space projects.

Space port (and projects) is very production heavy and ECommerce does huge production boost from trade routes (5prod, 10gold). At the end of the game, the capital had a whopping production of 288 (192 generated from trade routes).

A very aggressive game. Quite early, China and Sumeria decided to declare a joint war against us (T20-ish). At the same time raging barbarians came from east and west. At that time, I had 1x scout, 1x warrior, 1x builder and a settler under production. Not an army to fit for its task. After all, I think the barbarian hordes saved my ass. Chinese and sumerian forces had to work they way past barbarians before they even could try to attack the city.

After that, it was just constant war. Conquered China, Sumeria, most part of Russia.
    England was the only one against whom i did not wage a war.

First warriors and slingers/archers then heavy chariots to be upgraded to knights. Unfortunately, upgrade got delayed due to lack of iron. For me it took a way too long time to spot the iron on NW corner of the starting continent.

No. Everyone hated me.

No.

Marginally.

Double dow from China and Sumeria. I didn't deal with it, barbarians did.

Yes. Thanks for the game.

And special thanks for @whacker for sharing his/her game and strategies. I realize now, how it should have been done:
    One don't have to "hard build" space projects like I did. Instead, use some great people magic like @whacker :)

Attached Files:

18. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

SV T283 1824 AD, Score 610 (Nero)

Settled 7, captured 6

Writing, then mostly upper part of the tree for chemistry and rocketry. Tried to juggle eurekas in time, not always successfully. Governments were: Autocracy->Monarchy->Merchant Republic->Democracy

Reduced China and Sumeria to one city after they ganged up upon me. Well, technically I peaced out with Sumeria first and declared on them later, when they forward settled me. Russia declared on me once, France twice, but I was too lazy to capture any of their cities, now I see that was probably my mistake for faster finish time.

While barbs were saving me from China's early warrior rush, I pushed out four or five slingers and a warrior, later built a catapult for Sumeria, and these got upgraded eventually, I also built couple of longships, two quadriremes (as one got destroyed by a barb caravel) and three musketeers for eurekas' sake, later added three biplanes for the same.

Somehow France kinda liked me, although she did backstab me twice , so I was selling luxes to her, traded luxes with Teddy and Vicky. Towards the end I even befriended Peter - AI pay really good money for luxes when friendly.

I inherited China's religion, Quin and Gilgamesh had built quite a few Holy districts, which I finished filling up with buildings to get around 80 fpt. It was useful for buying a couple of universities, science labs and crucial great people.

Found something useful only on another continent, was saving envoys until that point, then dumped six on Amsterdam for CH benefit, others on scientific and cultural ones.

Very early threat from China, which, very luckily for me, was solved by a barb spawn, big thanks to them again :)

Because China was practically out, a lot of wonders were left unbuilt. I constructed Colosseum very late, when noticed an increasing number of 'displeased' labels and seeing it still available. Even Great Library was still available at the end.

Also, I somehow missed Sagan - just did not see him becoming available or going :confused: I got Koroliov and GEs tab was empty. Got Kwolek though and also the guy who unlocked all eurekas for Info era.

The last surprise was the first submission by whacker in this thread, with a jaw-dropping SV time - quite an eye-opener. I completely forgot about Big Ben's bonus, well, I guess, now I know what it is to be aimed for :)

Oh yes, thanks:goodjob:

Attached Files:

19. nikAlto

nikAlto Chieftain

T293, score 679. My first ever win at immortal. I found it challenging for the first 100-150 turns. Surviving war then being just so far behind on everything. But pulled past everyone around 150-200 turn, then it was easy until the victory. Easy, but slow!

15 cities. Settled 6. Took 2 from china and 6 from Sumeria. Then a late game grab of London to stop Vicky's procession towards a cultural victory.

I balanced teching towards rocketry and military techs. Was nervous about AI at this level. Definitely difficult at the start, but I can now see why people complain about the AI. Not great at later game war, even at this difficulty.

No. Only China early. Due to their aggression. Everyone else still in the game. Sumeria I took all cities on my continent, but it had settled on another continent and no interest in trying to wipe them out.

I also attacked Russia and England late game as they were both moving towards a cultural victory. Just took out a key city of each. Caused them some havoc. And got amazing sue for peace deals.

Archers and war chariots. Then upgraded them as military techs became available. Never got Tanks though due to no Oil. :(
    Navy was also crazy strong. Battleships so effective with the 3 tile range. Just wipe out cities with relative ease.

No. Only France liked me. Everyone else hated me. I did trade luxuries for gold occasionally when needed, but balanced that against constant issues with amenity.

No. Vicky had converted 4 civs I think. But unless the map is pangea, AI never seem to be able to manage a religious victory.

I luckily had two science CS who survived the initial AI surge which wiped out a few. Although only found them mid-game.

Aggressive early start. And once I got a handle on the game - say turn 150 - the relative ease towards a victory. Although appreciate my time is very slow compared to the expert players! Just amazed I survived and got a victory.

yes, fun. Although slow at the end. Even clicking through the turns it was slow. So many civs with so many units.

(note - i had to replay my turn 138 save. twice. had a "unit needs order" error. took me three reloads to sought it out - clicked through each unit to finally find the issue).

Attached Files:

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.