6otM22 After Action

For any Civ with a cultural UI it's best to start out going science and ignore theatres at all.
Only if you play a highly agressive and efficient game to minimize the opposition.
People play in different ways.
Fastest cultural win I know about was about turn 56 before they built a campus or a theatre. I think it was on immortal, in a post somewhere.
Best is a personal thing.

Win turn 296/297.
Was late with attacking Rome, using horses makes it very easy (too?). Conquered my continent (Rome,Macedon,China,Toronto and Yerevan) around turn 180. By then Pericles was speeding away in culture.
Since I don't like winning a culture victory by the sword I started spamming anything giving culture and especially tourism. Reached 1620 tourism per turn.
Flight with Pairidaeza is a combo I missed, but how many Pairidaeza do you build to win just 10 turns after flight? (download and look, I know)

Attachments

• CYRUS 297 1852 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
but how many Pairidaeza do you build to win just 10 turns after flight?
The answer is as many as possible, concentrate on builders and adjacency with holy sites and theatres.
The key thing is to keep the oppositions culture per turn very low.

Cultural Victory turn 199. 729 points (Chamberlain). Persia was fun to play. The UU and UB were very useful and the movement boost with surprise wars is very powerful. I took out Rome very early after they attempted an invasion, then expanded North East, reducing China and Macedon to a single city each. Focused on science then culture. It became obvious that taking out Pericles Greece would speed up my victory, so I took my army W on conquest. After waving goodbye to him, I carried on W to conquer Egypt, completing victory by conquering the last Egyptian outpost.

Attachments

• CYRUS 199 1380 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
For any Civ with a cultural UI it's best to start out going science and ignore theatres at all.

Am curious where you place any acquired writing, images, music, and relics if you don't build cultural sites? Do you just capture them from other civs?

I'm usually in mid-game before I feel safe enough to build cultural buildings, then spend the rest of the game playing catchup. Sometimes I even succeed and win, but mostly not.

Turn 159 Cultural Victory.

Fun game, than Leif!

This was my first try at the Civ6 Cultural Victory. I had a read-through of Victoria's very thorough guide first though (Thanks Victoria!). I'm not sure that I get how everything works yet though.
One time I built a seaside resort and it wasn't showing up as generating tourism on the tourism lens. couldn't figure out why. maybe there is a limit of 8 hexes per city that can generate tourism?
Another thing that I found weird was not being able to move artifacts in the Archeological Museums. I kept getting a message that I wasn't allowed to move items out of an Arch Museum if it wasn't full. but it was full, and I still couldn't move anything out. is this a bug?
Another thing that I found weird was that in the art museums there seemed to be penalties on the second and third pieces of art if they weren't different artists from the first. Only 1 tourism on the second and third pieces added. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Brief history of my game:

Settled in place. went Scout, Builder, Slingerx4. Barbs were brutal. Saw Sun Tsu was the Great General up for grabs, and I've been a big fan of his book and thought it would be great to have it to go towards the Cultural Victory, so I built Encampment to get him. I don't think I actually retired him to get the book till something like t120+, so I don't think it's worth building the Encampment just to get that book that late in the game. I also built Oracle (done turn 61), not sure that was wise either. probably would be faster without Oracle.

I had a touch of religion. started with the Faith/Gold civic to get the God of the Open Skies pantheon. founded a religion some time after capturing the holy sites from Macedon, China, and Rome.

Didn't build any settlers, just thought I'd take my neighbour's cities instead. Probably one settler would have been good though (instead on Encampment and/or Oracle)

I made a mistake around turn 29 when Trajan offered friendship, and I accepted without thinking about it. About 20 turns later when I was ready to wipe out Rome I realized my mistake. So I headed north instead, taking Alexandra and Pella by t56, wiping out Macedonia. By the end of the game I was thinking that I should have left Macedonia with one city. Is that the usual practice? Dead civs don't generate tourists right? Even idiot civs like Gorgo's Greece will send tourists despite never wanting to make peace.

Next I crippled China, then Rome, then crossed over to the other landmass to cripple Gorgo.
At turn 100 Pericles and I were kinda tied for the Cultural Victory according the ranking screens. Some how he was showing as leading even though I had 21 tourism to his 17, and 60.4 Culture to his 59.8. I guess he must have been leading in Domestic Tourists???

Next I cripple Pericles, then Egypt. I was spamming Pairadezea so that when I hit Flight at t136 my tourism jumped from 148 to 289. also was surprised to see that the Pastures with God of Open Skies pantheon culture buff were also now generating 1 tourism each. really? sheep, cows, and horses bring in the tourists? :)

Around turn 140 I was trying to figure out if I should also take Gilgamesh's capital or not (to arrest his growth in Domestic Tourists). I wasn't sure how to calculate that exactly, but I figured it wouldn't be much faster than just letting him be and setting up a trade route to him. In the end I think it would have actually have been a turn or two faster to the win if I had taken his capital.

I'm interested to try a Culture game again with another Civ. I have feeling that with Persia it's very different with the Pairadezea.

Thanks again Leif!

Attachments

• 6OTM22 t159 CV CYRUS 159 960 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
I had a read-through of Victoria's very thorough guide first though
It need a rewrite and update in a few areas, I have learnt a few things since I first wrote it.

Another thing that I found weird was that in the art museums there seemed to be penalties on the second and third pieces of art if they weren't different artists from the first. Only 1 tourism on the second and third pieces added. Is that the way it's supposed to work?
Yes, I was told about this a week or so ago and updated the guide.

Another thing that I found weird was not being able to move artifacts in the Archeological Museums. I kept getting a message that I wasn't allowed to move items out of an Arch Museum if it wasn't full. but it was full, and I still couldn't move anything out. is this a bug?
I have never had issue moving artifacts out of a full museum. I loaded your save and you oinly have one full museum, you really need 2 full to move between.

One time I built a seaside resort and it wasn't showing up as generating tourism on the tourism lens. couldn't figure out why. maybe there is a limit of 8 hexes per city that can generate tourism?
I am unaware of any limit... certainly I have had mnore than 8 resorts in opne city all generating...
I could not find an example in your save, the 0 just shows it has not gained a full tourist yet but shows generatring inside.

upload_2017-10-1_23-34-28.png

I could not find an example in your save, the 0 just shows it has not gained a full tourist yet but shows generatring inside. ...
View attachment 478171

There was just one resort that wasn't showing anything (no black circle with zero inside). It was the eastern-most one near Xi'an. But I reloaded my save and now it's showing fine, the black circle with the zero is there, and it shows +3 tourism if I hover over it. BTW, dumb move to build a mine next to a resort :)

Must have just been a display bug. similar to the possible-trade-routes-all-displaying-and-not-going-away bug. I find I just save and reload the game that display bug goes away too.

Another little bug I noticed is that the tourism from walls displays as "Tourism added by Great People". I found that ancient walls give +1 tourism from "Great People", and it looks like Medieval walls give you +2, but also is additive ON TOP of the +1 for ancient walls. so that it shows as +3 for Tourism from "Great People". I guess that's the way it's supposed to work?
I think the display probably just needs to be changed to "Tourism from Walls/Great People"

upload_2017-10-2_8-26-55.png

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom