6otM23 After Action

Domination Victory T118

For Pangea Domination it is unskillful for a human player to finish after T100 (Maybe T90). But unfortunately my result is far from that baseline and more like an octopus player(T130? Then I'm 18t to human but only 12t to an octopus.). This is terrible. This map is really big.

Just to mention, when I reload the T100 save to continue, I mistakenly chose the T94 save and continued playing on that. But the strategys are all the same though.

Attachments

• final_23.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Domination win, T115, 25BC

Providing a somewhat detailed write-up. Hopefully it will provide some ideas to other and looking for analysis to help me play better. The limits I used are no joint wars, no trading works/relics, no trading cities. I’m sure I copied something down wrong; and probably some other stuff worth tracking and some things not worthwhile.

EARLY GAME (about T1-40)
Warrior to Wheat, Settle 1 NW on Mercury.
1-ROME: Scout-7, Builder 16 (develop Mer, Wh, PlHi), Slinger-20,23,25,27,29,31; Warrior-36
Notes: I like to start scout/settler/builder; due to low food and clear tile upgrades decided scout/builder/setter; on turn 16 when I finish the builder I realized there were Barb Encampments to my N, SE, and SW, so went immediately to slingers. Holy Crap Batman.
23-LUGDUMUM (North of Rome, 2 away from BE): buy BE tile-23, Slinger-30, Warrior-37
Notes: Initial build goal was explore/expand/military. Turned into holy crap build military just to survive.
Science: Mining-8, AH-22, BW-28, Pottery-28, Archery-32, Writing-34, Irrigation-37
Culture: CoL-7 (survey, urban), Crafts-17 (agoge), FT-28, EE-37 (fail!!)
Notes: Survey as I want a promoted scout for better exploring, ideally 2 promotions with both faster terrain promotions so I can discover the world quickly; then to agoge for slingers/warriors; on turn 37 forgot do to colonization for my settler spawn (idiot!)
Meet: Spain-6; Stockholm-7 no envoy: captured by Spain on turn 13, notices of unmet defeated- 15,17,21,34
WAR: Spain 17-28, capture settler and worker with 1 charge on turn 17 by my warrior
Tribal Villages: 5-exp warrior, 11-Astrology, 15-Craft, 16-40g, 41-builder
Trade: On turn 12 traded Spain 1 Mercury for 111 gold and 2 gpt [comment: this type of trade needs to be fixed also, anything that is given per turn should be per turn both ways; getting one time BIG gold for lux and then declare war is just stupid]
Exploration: War to N, hung out near Spain waiting for a settler to appear. Scout to SE and then clockwise circle looking for spot along river to SW to put next city.
Survival notes: T21 scout destroyed near BE to N by 2 horsemen – ugh!!; T23 stealthily create city to ‘destroy’ BE and realize at least 9 barb units (to include horsemen and horse archers) in area; use river north of Rome as defensive line while War in Lug attacks/heals/repeats – barbs have overwhelming force, but attack Spain and me in disarray instead of concentrating on the city; more horseman come in from SE, but past Stockholm so Spain helping; upgrade 7 slingers on T32; takes until T39 to destroy BE to SE; BE to SW is sending War/Arch combos, but hold them off much easier due to terrain.

MID GAME (about T41-86)
1-ROME: Settler-43,47; Encampment-??, Trader-63, Campus-72, HChar-76,78,81, Builder-86
23-LUGDUMUM: Settler-56, Scout-61, Warrior-65, BatRam-75, HChar-79, Builder-83,84
48-PUTEOLI: buy +2cul tile-50, Builder-52, Galley-61, Builder(g)-64, HChar-74,80
50-AQUILEIA: builder(g)-50, Galley-55,61; Warrior-61, HChar-76
52-ARPINIUM: Warrior-66, BatRam(g)-72, HChar-73,77, Builder-81, ComDistrict-85
53-STOCKHOLM: Mon-68, Granary-76, Builder-87
55-RAVENNA: Builder(g)-58, Galley-60, Warrior-67, HChar-76, Bath-86
61-ARRETIUM: Warrior-67, HChar-75,81
65-MADRID: Mon(r)-67, WM(r)-70, Walls-78
80-SPARTA: Mon(r)-84, Granary(r)-88
Notes: Used the 3 built and 2 captured settlers to create circle around Rome - extra culture to SW was nice. Early Districts: Encampment and Campus to assist in great general and faster science and even Comm for money. Main goal was obviously military with policy synergies (warriors to upgrade, galleys to help explore, HChar to upgrade). I did some items for culture/science eureka.
Science: Wheel-41, Sailing-55, Currency-64, Masonry-65, IW-68, CelNav-69, HBRiding-71, Apprenticeship-76, Engineering-79, Stirrups-82, Machinery-86
Notes: Main goal was Stirrups (also IW and Machinery) – think I got distracted with Cel Nav for Harbors.
Culture: StateWork-43 (conscrip, colon), PolPhil-54 [Autocracy] (conscrip, agoge, urban, colon), MilTrad-55 (maritime, strategos), G&R-59, MT-62 (agoge), DefTac-67 (maneuver), Feud-70, Merc-74 (ProfArmy), Mysticism-76 (conscript, maneuver, urban, serfdom), MedFair-82 (ProfArmy), D&P-83 (Discipline)
Notes: Main goals faster production and reduced cost military; get great general. I didn’t even get a Pantheon until T67 – took God of the Open Sky for +4 culture (and more over time).
Meet: Greece-45, Sumeria-45, Norway-65, China-77, Scythia-79, Germany-84; BuenosAires-50, NanMadol-56 (3 envoy on T76 – for 2 Lux resources), Brussels-69, Jakarta-86 (3 envoy on T88)
WAR: Spain 45-65 (48 settler, after Stockholm and Madrid peace); Greece 50-60 (50 settler, otherwise benign); Greece 77-87 (get Sparta, avoid city to S, head E – held up in terrain); 77-Great General!!!
Notes: Madrid was long as it built walls and then a barb warrior/archer rush came in from the NE. Normally 2 shots to an archer from the walls is death, but after initially retreating each archer with one hit the barbs showed up. I used the river and forest as a defensive line; Madrid focused barbs over me and barbs attacked all; I always left a barb alive for Madrid to target and split my archer shots to city and barbs, eventually taking down city walls. Took 20 turns from the start of the war to capture Madrid. I had Legions and a Bat Ram with a Great General for my attack on Sparta. On T82/83 upgraded HChars to Knights for the major push outward. Upgraded Warriors/Archers as soon as I could.
Trade: Didn’t keep details. In general, open borders (if useful), trade resources for g/gpt and just stay content. At end of war try to get all g/gpt/resources in that order. Messed up trading Iron away somewhere, on T82 when I could upgrade to Knights I had to trade China 2 luxury resources and 3 gpt for Iron – would have been 35gpt without lux. (Again hate that AI will give me all their gold and then I can declare war to get my resource back a turn later; fix it to lux per turn = gold per turn, not this broken system.)
Exploration: I like galleys even on one of these maps; I was wondering if the extra AI might be on an island so I build 4 galleys - I think 2-3 would have been good enough and didn’t even get to help take a city this game; normally try to build them with all chops so I only need Maritime up for a 1-2 turns; took longer to go around the continent as two went toward NanMadol area and other two checked for other islands vice hugging the coast. The 2nd scout I built was killed by barbs on T87 without doing anything useful. I should have split my forces better – main Army through Greece with small force of Knights sent to NE after T82/83 upgrade.
Survival notes: Finally cleared BE to SW T49. Left two Legions behind to ensure no ‘fog’ squares near starting cities – scared of some crazy barbarian rush. After the 3rd BE destroyed no major issues with Barbs again.

LATE GAME (about T87-115)
1-ROME: Knight-97,101,105,107; Catapult-106
23-LUGDUMUM: CommDist-93, Market-100, Knight-107
48-PUTEOLI: Harbor-97
50-AQUILEIA: 93-Builder, Harbor-103, Knight-106
52-ARPINIUM: Trader-89, Builder-103
53-STOCKHOLM: Shrine-92, Temple-93, Builder-97, Knight-99,104
55-RAVENNA: Harbor-98
61-ARRETIUM: Harbor-101, Knight-107
65-MADRID: Temple-91, Market-98, Knight-106
80-SPARTA: Builder-101, Knight-106
Others: Kabul Liberated – 87, Mediolanum-91, Nidaros-92, Cologne-93 (note: buy battering ram), Uruk-95, Brundisium-96, Ur-98, Aachen-102, Palmyra-103, Caesar Agusta-105, Antium-107, Caesarea-108, Xi’an-109, Chertomlyn-110, Pokrovka-111, St. Petersburg-115
Notes: Some of these were captured settlers that built cities with auto-roads in mind, but last set of knights didn’t even make it to the front lines. I think I should have skipped some of this for more military, but wanted money for the next set up upgrades.
Science: Construction-89, Mil Eng-94, Math-98, Gunpowder-?, Metal Casting-108, Castles-111
Note: Goal is to head to next military upgrades.
Culture: Theology-88 (Prof Army), Recorded History-91 (Sack), Civil Service-95 (Raid), Divine Right-96 [Monarchy] (Conscription, Chivalry, Raid, Urban, Merchant, Serfdom), Humanism-100, Mercantilism-105 (Logistics, Prof Army), Guilds-106
Notes: Goals were Div Right for Chivalry and Mercantilism for Logistics.
Meet: Russia-107 finally with a galley!!!; Hattusa-87, Valetta-89, Toronto-96; Liberate Kabul-87 (3 envoys)
WAR: Norway 87-97, Germany 93-103, Sumeria 94-104, China 107-end, Scythia 109-end, Russia 113-end
Notes: In Norway war liberated Kabul for the double experience, then forces split N and E. Although I started Germany on T103, my small N force only could manage Cologne which was too far for auto road, bought Bat Ram, but couldn’t take Aachen until forces from S Army arrived – if I’d known how far I could have saved a settler to ensure auto road for reinforcements instead of most units heading SE to Kabul and then N. After forces split Sumeria goes down easy. Initially held off on Scythia until I found Russian capital with a couple knights. Forces from China and Scythia campaign jointly converged on Russia. I didn't destroy a single civ, just captured all the capitals and a few other cities in my way.
Trade: Didn’t keep notes, same goal as mid-game.
Exploration: Galley headed along S of main continent finally found a Russian city on turn 107 – delayed as it took time altering coastline tiles and looking for an island passage. Knights became primary explorers desperately trying to find Russian capital. Got an TV relic on T91.
Survival notes: Barbs no longer a significant issue, but still managed to be annoying a couple times.

Did you enjoy the game? Definitely. Need to play GOTM6 more often.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 115 25 BC.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
getting one time BIG gold for lux and then declare war is just stupid]
I think they are struggling with the balance in this area. They seem to trade for solid gold the happier they are with you and have a too simple gold vs GPT design. I always take a 6 GPT standard for such things as it makes me feel fairer about it but it's not banned.

I must say, a great write up, fantastic write up. Certainly good lessons for me in there. Thank you

One question if I may. Roughly what were your district builds? I am not near a pc to open the .sav.

Defeat, Sumerian Science victory.

Started an early war with Spain to steal a settler, but failed miserably to match Spanish output of Warriors, and a Barbarian horde from the South. One item of note, probably not a good idea to pop a barbarian camp by dropping a city next to it in the hope of stopping the unit generation, as it immediately releases two more units, something I would not have survived had it not been for a timely legion upgrade.

Played catch up from there on in, and didn't catch up. Had to fight off a German Helicopter invasion, corps and armies, with only musketmen and field cannon for defence. Fortunately, the stupid helicopters kept switching from one city to another allowing time for the Renaissance walls, encampments, and cannons to kill a few. Then the artillery arrived, and sat next to a city and waited for me to kill them too, they never fired a shot. Eventually they sued for peace. It just shows how bad the AI can be at war, they should have destroyed me, working on the cities one at a time, I would definitely have lost.

Attachments

• Ferenginar TRAJAN 312 1882 AD.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 216
One question if I may. Roughly what were your district builds? I am not near a pc to open the .sav.

In Rome I built an Encampment about T55 and a Campus at T72; both of these had been placed as soon as I could. Goal was GG (along with +2 policy) and ability to build with only one strategic resource; and increased science by over 10% at the time. In the 80s/90s I was building in other core cities Comm Districts, or Harbors for those on the coast with no river, for gold.

For Pangea Domination it is unskillful for a human player to finish after T100 (Maybe T90). But unfortunately my result is far from that baseline and more like an octopus player(T130? Then I'm 18t to human but only 12t to an octopus.).
Thanks for saving me the troubles of posting my game report. I guess i'll just play those maps silently from now on.

Domination victory on turn 120

Rules :
No culture items or city trading + no joint wars

Reloads :
Since the Nubia patch on Mac OS the game bugs a lot and crashes once in a while. I had to reload a bit over 10 times I think. Since I save a few times each turn I always managed to replay exactly the same way.
Most of the time the popup when you enter a tribal village displays the wrong information or just doesn't display at all so you have to guess. Most reloads are due to that. The one I had the hardest time figuring out was a +1 population the same turn as the city had gained a point by itself !

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settlers built = 0
Settled cities = 9
Captured cities = 19 including 2 liberated (Kabul, Jakarta)

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Tech

Writing > Bronze working > Iron working > Engineering > Apprenticeship > Military Engineering > Gunpowder > Military Science > Rifling > on my way to Replaceable Parts

Civics
Mysticism > Political Philosophy > Feudalism > Mercenaries > Medieval Faires > Guilds > Mercantilism > on my way to Nationalism

- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
Gorgo kept taking Stockholm away from me. When a ran out of envoys, I wiped her out.

Gilgamesh did the same thing with Kabul. He was two cities away from extinction when he deciced to stop outbidding me so I went after another capital.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
Pangea so no navy planned. I had two level 2 scouts who found everyone before I could start investing in ships.

I started with a slinger for a archery eureka and was planning on 3-4 slinger rush on the civ I met. It was Spain but he already had a force of warriors attacking Stockholm. I could just steel a settler and builder with the initial warrior and slinger and sue for peace before they got killed. Still manage to get all his gold, got and open borders for only a extra horse from me.
By then it was too late for slingers so I built 7 warriors and attacked Gorgo. Warriors are too squishy, I could only dispatch her army but not capture a city. That was done a few turns later with three legions. I didn't expect them to be so deadly !
I upgraded the other 4 and split the army. 4 legions continued east towards Kabul an Harald, 3 went north for Spain. Meanwhile I started building 6 horsemen who joined the two legions armies, 3 for each.
Later I added a knight to complete a quest and 2 archers for the machinery eureka.
I took me a few turns struggling against Nidaros's walls to realised I had forgotten the battering rams !! That easily lost my 4-5 turns.

Legions upgraded to musketmen, horsemen into cavalry and archers up to field canons.

- What was your most useful unit?
Legions. They did almost all the work.
And battering rams once I remembered to build them.

- Was diplomacy useful? How?
Only to provide gold and open borders for my scouts up to mid game. After that the AI hated me too much to offer any deal.

- Were City-States helpful?
Stockholm made my early game and provided my science. They discovered me and I got the envoy ! Quest was the wheel eureka which I got soon after mining the mercury. I got mysticism early si I was at 3 envoys a few turns before finishing my campus.

Kabul greatly reduced healing downtime as most of the time I could heal with a promotion.

Jakarta provided my end game income to upgrade all my units as soon as I had the tech.

- What was your strategy, what order did you take your opponents out in?
Focus on campus before encampment to get legions and horsemen quickly.
Build two armies with a mix of the two, each clears half the map.
Army 1 : Gorgo > Harald > Gilgamesh > Qin Shi Huang
Army 2 : Spain > Germany > Tomyris > Peter

Grab settler(s) and builder(s) from at least one civ and got from the peace deal. -> Spain
Grab settler(s) and builder(s) as I declare war on the second civ and take it capital. -> Gorgo

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
By turn 25, 3-4 CS were captured, by turn 50 only Stockholm (which I defended) and Toronto (no idea why) were not conquered.
I had two scouts scouring the map and couldn't find a last CS for the Political Philosophy inspiration ; I think it's the first time it ever happens. I even delayed it few turns but my scouts only uncovered captures CS.

Reading the other posts you would expect a barbarian problem but nothing special for me.
There was a camp right north of the starting position, just over the river. It actually was extremely helpful as I fortified my slinger on a hill across the river and waited for the barbarian spearman to suicide himself (Spain helped). In 4 turns my slinger was level 2 and full life after promotion, Archery eureka triggered, Military Tradition inspiration triggered, 1/3 barbarians killed for Bronze Working eureka and 35 more gold in my treasury.
Much later, my first army on it's way from Sumeria to China ran into a camp. Horsemen and saka horse archers were no match for my legions/horsemen/crossbowmen army. Still that camp delayed me 5 turns because it spawned 4 units a turn on difficult terrain. I simply could not move forward through that regenerating wall of barbarian units.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Very much ! Thanks for creating it and keep it up :)
Stockholm right next to the starting position was a great gift. Good combo with the fist two scientists, +1 libraries and +2 universities. Was it made on purpose ? It really looks that way ;)

First mistake right at turn 1. I didn't want to wait a bunch of turns to buy the rice tile so I settled in place. I forgot that Rome starts with a monument so you get the tile in two turns !
I didn't restart and just went with it which made playing much less stressful as I was sure I had screwed my chances of a good score. So I didn't expect it to turn out so well in the end and thus didn't take any detailed notes, sorry.
I played counting I would finish between turns 130 and 150.

My last GotM post was from civ 5. I didn't much time to play since and until very recently. Starting to get a grip on the civ 6 gameplay I wanted to compare with other players and came here. I actually started with GotM 22. Not having played Cyrus yet and neither a cultural victory I started to play a few games with the same settings to get my bearings. While struggling with the complexity of tourism victory the GotM 23 came out. I straight Pangea domination I could get into right away. Now I'll try to finish the 22 before the deadline.

Attachments

• 6otM23 Domination 120.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
So I died... embarrassingly early. I spent too much time trying to perfect boosts and promotions and didn't think Spain would attack so quickly. I can't say I didn't see it coming but I guess I took the risk!

Fun part is it's the first game I recorded AND commentated. If anyone is interested :p critiques welcome!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAOujmXkpAkBlbw8pAdt8ze-zDRbljzbb

DV Turn 192

27 cities in total, settled 6 (2 with captured settlers)

First legions, then musketmen, artillery and infantry; As policies, those for Corps and Armies

Gorgo, as she did not cede her cities

Tried to play in two stages - first build up a force of warriors/legions supported by battering ram and then keep upgrading them; as navy, I had 2 galleys for the bonus; I thought they would discover some player by heading west, but it did not happen.

The legion, definitely; they are very strong early on.

Made friends with Barbarossa for as long as I could to trade luxuries for gold, fueling unit upgrades.

Not really :( could not find any commercial state, Jakarta was occupied early on.

Started with Spain, then Greece, Norway, Sumeria, Germany, Scythia; Russia and China fell almost at the same time. Big battles took place for Uruk and Pokrovka, they really put up a fight. Scythia had a lot of cavalry that converged on my petered out forces.

Had 2 barbarian scares early on, both with horsemen; First had Rome surrounded, I managed to fend them off with slingers. The second time was when I tried to settle between Rome and Madrid and ended up next to a camp on the turn strong horsemen appeared. I had to plop a city early and take turns between healing the units, it was really close.

Thoroughly; very nice selection of opponents and many barbarians, big thank you for the game creator(s)!

Attachments

• 6otM23_T192.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Dom Victory T135

Hi. Long timer lurker, been playing civ6 since release but 1st attempt at GotM. I went with the strength of the civ which is legions 1st. Then to Knights and finally Calvary at very end. After capturing Sparta I was able to get a religion later and took the one with +10 str when fighting a city that follows my same religion. That didn't come into play until late in the game however because I forgot to buy missionaries for the longest time. But it did also give me the opportunity to purchase 3 cavalry when I needed it the most to take out china with Theocracy government.

I made a few key mistakes especially not having a ram ready in time for Sparta. Legions are good but a strength 35 city with chariots and archers defending took longer than it should have by not having the ram for several turns. I also screwed up with some of my eureka timings on the way to Calvary. However I'm pretty happy with the overall result.

Settled one, captured one settler from Spain. Took Buenos Aires. Captured many other cities during my path of destruction.

Legions! Then Knights then Xbow then Knights then Bombards and finally Cavalry.

Gorgo and Phillip. Everyone else I let them keep cities around.

Scout, builder, slinger, slinger, slinger then 4 warriors. Then encampment and stable and finally campus. Upgraded 3 warrs to Legions to take out Gorgo. Built up a second army over time to take Spain but that wasn't until after turn 70.

Legions->Mustketmen for most of the way then some Knights at midgame and finally Calvary at end game. Two generals were also very useful!

Just in the beginning to trade mercury for lump sum of gold. After conquest nobody liked me anyway.

Just Stockholm and Jakarta

Took Gorgo then Harald then Phillip then Gilgamesh then Frederick then Tomris then Peter and finally China.

Not many barbarians, just one camp north of me. However when I played a 2nd time after finishing the 1st game and settled on the mercury I noticed a completely different situation with 4 barb camps surrounding me. It took forever to get them cleared!

Yes very much.

Attachments

• CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-39-20-01.png
    CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-39-20-01.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
  • CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-39-13-33.png
    CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-39-13-33.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 163
  • CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-38-57-43.png
    CivilizationVI 2017-09-30 20-38-57-43.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 195
  • TRAJAN 135 475 AD DomV.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
T277 DV. Another game where I lost my capital at one point because of a surprising conquistador rush by Spain.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 277 1812 AD.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 167
Got absolutely massacred on this GotM.

Basically OtherCiv captured a nearby city-state (on turn 10-15), which generated too much unrest (I think), because for the rest of the relatively short game I was completely inundated by 'barbarian' horsemen and horse archers. Not sure why they weren't focusing the other city, but I got hammered into the ground by turn 45 despite pumping out defensive units as quickly as I could manage. Felt very thorougly abused.

On the plus side, I completed the "kill 3 barbarians" breakthrough VERY quickly. In fact, I completed the imaginary "kill 15" before the game ended.

For Pangea Domination it is unskillful for a human player to finish after T100

*cough*

Domination Victory, Turn 385 (1964 AD)

I didn't even start attacking until turn 250. Well, actually, I first attacked Gorgo around 200, but she kicked my ass. I'd been building up steadily, trying to achieve a winning advantage, but just as I was about to attack Sparta, its defense rating jumped from 59 to 107 (?!). So I aborted my attack and returned to my buildup. Just shy of turn 250, I got Flight. My bombers made the difference in that and every subsequent battle. No city took me more than three turns to capture.

I settled four before I went on the warpath: two north of Rome, one southwest (for the iron) and one southeast (for horses). A few more after that -- I discovered the two big islands late in the game -- but none of them were consequential to my victory.

Early on, Writing, because I knew that a domination victory depends on gaining and keeping a technological lead. After that, I hit some difficulties, because I had no source of niter (Gorgo beat me to it) and couldn't upgrade my legions. But I played the tech boosts hard, and I got Flight early. That was the game-changer.

I skimped on early naval exploration, which may have been a mistake. If I hadn't, I might have found another source of niter. But then again, I don't think there was any on the two islands to the west, so it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Nope. I didn't take a single city that I didn't have to. (By "have to," I mean in order to get to my next conquest.)

Two strong infantry units, one strong artillery unit, and bombers, bombers, bombers, bombers, bombers. Toward the end, battleships/missile cruisers and aircraft carriers, along with some modern armor. I had a decent number of legions in the early game, but they ended up doing me no good. Two of them eventually became my late-game mechanized infantry.

My force of jet bombers, together with my six-promotion mechanized infantry.

I swear, despite this being a domination game, I've never in my life had so many AI players want to be my friend. I think that's why I put off attacking for so long: no point in stabbing someone in the back if you don't have a significant comparative advantage. So I'd say diplomacy was helpful in that it allowed me to play the long game. No AI player ever attacked me -- it was always I who attacked them. They attacked each other plenty, though.

Ha! Are you kidding? I could hardly find any that someone hadn't already captured. But one was very helpful in the first half of the game: Geneva. I poured all my diplomatic resources into that city-state for the peacetime science bonus, then let it go once I launched my for-realsies attack on Gorgo. Later on, I liberated Kabul from Harald and made it my friend for the XP boosts.

Philip was my bud (about the only game I've ever played when I could say that), and he was relatively weak and nonthreatening, so I decided to save him for last. I went through Gorgo, then Harald, then up through Gilgamesh. My first real nail-biter moment was when I went after Barbarossa, not because he was any harder a target but because he was so close to achieving a science victory. I owe my victory to my intrepid spies' blowing up all his spaceports.

After I took out Barbarossa, I went through Tomyris, then Peter. At that point, rather than hack my way through Jiaodong and Hong Kong, which would have been troublesome, I used naval forces to take out Smolensk and Yaroslavl, which lay on the coast next to Xi'an, and so Xi'an was the only Chinese city I bothered to capture. And without further ado, I took Madrid FTW -- just before that sneaky Tomyris nearly got a science victory, too.

The biggest surprise was discovering around turn 260 that Barbarossa was on the verge of going to Mars. I'm glad I invested heavily in spies, because they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for me.

The nicest surprise was how little trouble I had with barbies in the early game. I never get off so easily at normal difficulty levels. This time, though, I managed to clear my area before they got horses.

More than most attempts at a domination victory, yeah. This was my first-ever 6otM, BTW, and I think I'll be trying more. It adds a little interest to Civ 6 that's been missing for me before now.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 385 1964 AD.Civ6Save
    3.5 MB · Views: 173
More than most attempts at a domination victory, yeah. This was my first-ever 6otM, BTW, and I think I'll be trying more. It adds a little interest to Civ 6 that's been missing for me before now
100% agree, I am a convert, playing the game that others play to share the experience. It not about winning it's about sharing.

Lost T44

Wrong Build order...went only one slinger and warrior and I went for the second city because of the wonder. A few wrong tactical move here and there and Rome was taken

Attachments

• 6otm Rome Lost.jpg
    6otm Rome Lost.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 171
6 SETTLE (3 produced 3 captured) 24 CAPTURED (could have took more but was a bit worried to not get to much war weariness)

Legions, Knights, Cav, Tanks, Modern Tanks - Rushed Mercenaries, Merchant Republic, Nationalism etc.

No, dont know what is that.

Army

Tanks

Good peace deals :)

Free envoys for liberations, Stockholm for science and Kabul for extra XP

Get first general use legion to take neighbors, then go for tanks easy victory, with knigts and cavs before.

A citystate got rekt by barbarians :D

Yes, was dificult at start, till I got tanks progress faster. Took a while to take cities without tanks.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 208 1470 AD WIN.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 94
T176 DV. 726 Points

Built 1 early settler, and 3 later settlers with colonization. Captured 2 or 3 enemy settlers.

Focused on military techs: archers, legions, knights, muskets, bombards, then artillery

No, I mainly targeted capitals and a couple extra cities on the path between capitals.

I used legions to take 2 or 3 capitals, then tried for a knight push. I screwed up though and lost too many knights so I had to wait for muskets to take Uruk. For the last three capitals or so I needed artillery since the city strengths were upwards of 70.

Diplomacy consisted entirely of being denounced and pressing escape.

The AI were very aggressive to city-states, leaving only 4 alive. I kept Stockholm alive for the science boost and used the suzerain bonus to grab 2 modern era generals.

Focused on campi to get units faster, and CH to get gold for unit upgrades. I even built Great Zimbabwe on the coast west of Rome. Used legions to take Madrid, Sparta, and Nidaros. The main army headed north to capture Uruk, Aachen, and Pokrovka, while a second army headed east to attack Xian and St. Petersburg.

Losing so many knights :( But this is not a giant setback since legions upgrade to muskets quickly.

Yep gotta love Rome

Attachments

• TRAJAN 176 1150 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
DV T224

It was the first game where I built zero settlers and had almost too many of them. Philip and Gorgo supplied me with a total of 5 or 6 of them for starters.
I lost count of the captured cities.

I played this game in many sessions over a long time, so I almost forgot what was in the beginning :blush: Went for the legions as a priority.

Philip, Gorgo, Barbarossa and Tomyris.

No navy, except for two galleys->caravels. Army of archers and warriors, then couple of rams, a tower, legions, knights, cats into bombards, ended with a mix of infantry, tanks and arty.

Artillery. It just smokes 'em :smoke:

Funnily enough,I maintained a few rounds of DOF with Tomyris for some light trade and gpt.

Helped with science a bit, but they were hunted - at one point there were only 4 left.

First took out Philip with archers warriors and then finished Gorgo with legions. Then went against Harald, but mid-conquest, after three cities the punching power of my legions seemingly reached the limit and I had to pause to lose some WW and upgrade to muskets and bombards. Then continued on Harald and also Barbarossa. Then Tomyris, Qin and Peter. Took St. Petersburg earlier than Xian though. Russia's capital was in a nice open area, and China was well hidden behind mountain ranges, I was coming from the north, and had to sneak in through narrow places.

Had to hold my breath when I realized, there were three barb camps around me and two of them had horses, but by some miracle they never managed to scout me out and go into berserk mode. Only lost one slinger and one warrior to them. Neighbours and city states also helped to deal with them.

Yes, thanks for the map, was quite a big one :thumbsup:
Now eagerly waiting for the Fall patch and hoping it will mend trade and diplomacy.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 224 1565 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 185
Top Bottom