6otM57 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM57 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- Did religion play a role in your game?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Religious Victory. 1560AD. Score: 790
Spoiler Cthulhu :

Summary

After the first 100 turns, I met England and the Swedes. Kandy bowed to Cthulhu on turn 108 as the classical era came to a close. I adopted Monarchy to start the medieval era and started building a series of harbors on my island settlements. Despite his protests, followers of Cthulhu flocked to Suleiman's cities, eradicating Islam on turn 120. We built the Colossus in R'yleh to honour this achievement. Many nations joined against us in a religious emergency, but they could not save Instanbul. After defeating the combined religions of the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden, we reformed our church and made it central to our government, adopting reliquaries, holy order, mosques, and papal primacy. We converted the Mali to Cthulhu and completed the Meenakshi Temple in R'yleh. When the medieval era ended around turn 150, R'yleh had grown to a metropolis.

Narrowly avoiding a dark age, we built Mont St. Michel in R'yleh and continued expanding our faith into Dutch lands, eventually stamping out Hinduism on turn 159. We celebrated the end of these heathens by building the Kotoku-in in Kawhia, which by this point had become the epicenter of Cthulhu's followers, thanks to Moksha. Warrior monks from this wonder spread to our island nations, eager to defend the faith. Cthulhu's disciples continued expanding west towards Norway. Some reclusive Hindu missionaries temporarily turned Amsterdam away from Cthulhu when our followers had left, but some Apostles quickly solved this transgression. By turn 182, they had also replaced Sikhism in Norway with the faith of the Ancient One.

The Industrial era was a Golden Age for the followers of Cthulhu, but the heathen nations again banded together to stop our spiritual ascendancy. They formed a religious alliance to pull Nidaros from Cthulhu. After London turned to the Drowned God, England and Norway also declared war. They were joined soon after by Suleiman (angry with grievances from our proselytising) and the Swedes. This made religious conversion somewhat difficult for a while. The four nations abandoned their religious emergency by turn 203, but remained at war with us. We turned our attention to Dido and the Phoenicians, natural followers of the ocean gods. We began a massive limes project, building ancient walls throughout the empire to defend against seaborne invaders. We also started a large-scale shipbuilding venture, finishing sending 4 privateers out to claim the waves. Moksha moved to R'yleh to oversee the wonders of Cthulhu. Soon after, we made peace with Norway and England, solidifying our hold on their continent. Suleiman managed to land on Kapiti Island several times, but was soundly rebuffed by our warrior monks and ancient walls. By the time that we sued for peace, Suleiman and the Swedes were ready to agree. We had accrued significant levels of faith in Cthulhu by this point, and Moksha promptly baptized 5 more apostles. These 5 joined the 3 who had pacified the three-nation continent to quickly turn Sweden into Cthulhu's final conquest around 1560 AD.

I settled 8 cities: 3 on the Northern Island, 3 on smaller islands just south of the Northern Island, and 2 on the medium western islands.

This was my weakest science game ever. Near the end I prioritized seafaring techs so that I could defend myself from all-out war. Throughout, my focus was on religious technologies and civics. I ended up with 30 techs, compared to Dido's 43.

Every other religion...but no civilizations. I killed a few of Suleiman's invaders during the second phase of the War Against Cthulhu.

I had 4 warrior monks, 1 musketman, 1 archer, and 4 privateers. My quadrireme was sunk by Suleiman's barbary corsairs. My military strength was 420, while the Mali were at 1376. I'm glad they didn't declare war on me.

Not at all. Garrisoned at my religious capital. Never saw combat nor built a "pa". I built a few Maraes, but they weren't terribly important.

Apostles? Perhaps Gurus during the first expansion of Cthulhu's followers into the Netherlands.

No. I generally kept to myself. Dido liked me best, denouncing me but not declaring war.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
La Venta and Kandy provides significant levels of faith, and Kandy donated a relic. Preslav and Brussels jumped to other nations temporarily a few times, but were relatively inconsequential.

Absolutely. While I didn't want to abandon the cultural VC, I have only won using religion once before, and it was a lot of fun.

I was leading in culture when the game ended. Suleiman and Harald may have been able to make some headway, but I had recently finished my third Marae, and I think that things were going to favour Cthulhu as the game progressed.

Spoiler Cultural Scores :

Alas, I did not win a culture victory.

Generally golden, except for one normal.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
Surprisingly, it wasn't an issue at all.

After taking over every Hindu city, somehow Amsterdam flipped back to them. I assume there was a faraway missionary who came back to help, but that was a surprise. The multiple declarations of war were surprising, especially because my apostles were unprotected in enemy lands. A few of them were killed, setting back Cthulhu's advance for a few turns.

It was a lot of fun. I would have liked to see how global warning panned out. I didn't pay much attention to diplomacy, except to note the grievances that were building up.

Thanks for setting this up!

Attachments

• KUPE 223 1560 AD RELIGIOUS VICTO.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
140 CV

Reliquaries. The lack of great writers did make things little harder. With Emperor difficulty it's quite hard to suicide your apostles as AI doesn't build religious units early enough.

Spoiler :

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• KUPE 140 580 AD CV.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
CV T96 - Relics before Jesus @ 500BC
I have waited a long time for a map with Kandy early to do this properly. Thank you GOTM.
I built no theaters, no commercial hubs, no campus, did not chop with magnus, did not war or pillage
Victory Screen
Spoiler :

upload_2019-2-17_16-35-32.png

How It is done
Spoiler :

The key rule for any fast victory is pure concentration on what you want. Nothing else.
As suzerain of Kandy you get a relic every time you find a natural wonder.
When you take reliquaries your relics are worth 24 tourism early... this is a lot if you can get many relics... so always make sure you have a spare relic slot when exploring, if it becomes full stop exploring until the next one... and be careful of suzerain CS because they will find them also. So you need to explore the whole map, start with one charge builders and then move on to 6 MP missionaries in the classic age using Exodus of the Evangelist. I took Holy Orders for my religion because you get cheaper missionaries and apostles.
So why apostles?... you do not want a religious victory but you want to get close because any civ out there with a different religion is -50% of your relics tourism. They just do not believe the toenails of the prophet are real (how dare they!)
You need relics so first is Holy Sites and you need traders which is commercial or harbour. The harbour I find is nicer on this map and is OK to get to for Kupe.
Only build the cities you need... I built 4 cities, 3 with holy sites, 4 with harbours and the rest was just wonders and things. I makes little difference. A government plaza meant 1 less temple or harbour so was ignored, I did not need the governors.
Always take delegation on the first turn of meeting and open borders at will, accept pretty much any trade for open borders, don't argue, its for your victory.
You MUST remember all of the below
1. Open borders - check every turn
2. Trade route - get them as soon as you can, make sure the route is safeish of have good money
3. Same Government - Not that important for a very early game like this but a post T120 game expect to take Monarchy and then maybe theocracy for best value, whatever government the majority of civs have.
4. Not different religion - This is the early crippler, it comes online early and halves your relics to those civs... and 4 out of 7 civs will have a religion.
People are good at 1&2 on the list but often forget 3&4 ... 4 is a BIG killer for a Kandy Rush
In essence this game is an exploration RV cut short.
Did I cheat, yes... I played the game once and thought it was possible to dfo a sub 100 so I tried again... but I played straight through. I just wanted to show sub 100 is poss. Feel free to ask other questions

How many cities did you settle, or capture? 4 settled, none captured.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Straight to Temples & harbours, nothing else was necessary - no need to inspire or eureek
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history? not 1 shot fired
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I lost my warrior so build another because of envoy quest.. I built 2 quads and a wall in case phonecia attacked.
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful? It got me an envoy
- What was your most useful unit? The Missionary by far
- Was diplomacy useful? How? Yes, open borders all the time is great.
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Yes, very and no they did not... It was a kandy specific game so Kandy all the way... but all helped because Kupe gets lots early
- Did religion play a role in your game? - Huge as mentioned. I took earth goddess because it is good on island maps and chopping is for whimps.
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? - See the how it is done spoiler
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Won in a golden classical age with exodus.
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? None... what is loyalty again?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Yes, Dido was quite agressive, although she did not attack I was tempted to have a punch up but know a sea battle is very one sided anyway.
- Did you enjoy the game? - Very much so, I wanted to do this for a long time, never seem to find Kandy early - Hoever the AI is not pushing culture fast enough early... nor science.
I think this was mainly possible because Kupe gets early CS and early production. I probably used 5 builders all game... I just did not bother so perhaps a turn or 2 could be shaved off.

I did not even improve horses or iron or luxuries.
upload_2019-2-17_17-16-35.png
upload_2019-2-17_17-18-36.png

Attachments

• KUPE 96 500 BC - CV Victory.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Very nice, Victoria. I knew someone would get sub-100 CV. I was camping two Natural Wonders waiting for the Temple slots to finish. My Suzerainities sailed on by and said "Hey Boss, look at that cool Tsinge de Bemaraha!" "Dagnabit, Kumasi!" :(

I was camping two Natural Wonders waiting for the Temple slots to finish
... how did you know you were camping them? ... Yes in my first game La Venta found some lakes that had become salty but I could not remember where the others were... 6 MP missionaries are great for finding them and the gold you get as Kupe early means I could buy the temples.

CV 229. I am quite happy with this result with a traditional culture game, not relic game.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? Total 9 cities, out of which 4 captured from NL.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Flight&Radio, Conservation&Cold war
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history? Yes, NL.
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I had quite a good army and navy, but there was little use after NL was defeated.
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful? Yes it was quite useful, I had a total of 3, but I did not try to build the Pa.
- What was your most useful unit? Archer probably.
- Was diplomacy useful? How? Alliances provided good trade routes.
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Yeah quite useful, in the end I was suzerain of 5 and this is after Kumasi was already captured.
- Did religion play a role in your game? No, not at all, though I did get NL's religion, but I am not sure if that counts in anything.
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? - To find out about the UB and see if a lot of those tiles after flight would be enough for CV - they were not. But I would think SV could be nice with those UB's in most of the cities.
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? One normal age, all others Golden, no strategy.
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? No effect what so ever.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not really.
- Did you enjoy the game? - Yeah, Maori is a nice civ.

Civ6Screen0008.jpg

Civ6Screen0007.jpg
Civ6Screen0007.jpg

Attachments

• KUPE 230 1595 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 109
Did I cheat, yes... I played the game once and thought it was possible to dfo a sub 100 so I tried again... but I played straight through. I just wanted to show sub 100 is poss. Feel free to ask other questions
Just curious how you did the first time through. :)

Close enough to see the tile yields but not close enough to see the Wonder with my scouting Warrior. For Harald's, I caught a glimpse when we shared Cap locations.

I had a pretty ordinary CV game, peaceful except for a late Colonial War against Netherlands and taking La Venta for an origin for Trade Routes. Turn 220, finished up by rock band spam at Dido.

Just curious how you did the first time through.
I got to T130 and it said 10 turns to go, but at T131-135 the Netherlands suddenly went crazy and I could see it was a fail and I knew I had been messing around so just thought nah, I’ll go for being serious... however I still played it very fast, all in one session. I realised with Kupe’sstart you could just refine it.
Kandy Rush is a lucky chancy game anyway, I’m just glad I got to do one right, normally I have not the patience.

Wohoo my first t145 win :) KANDY!

1. Anything with tourism!
2. Nope built quite few units. Mostly for era score.
3. No army or navy.
4. Yeah but for gathering a hut and for era bonus.
5. Apostle.
6. Two words: Open borders. (tourism bonus)
7. Oh yes. Relic Kandy all the way.
8. Yes relics and apostles played a major role in gaining early religion tourism.
9. 2 Golden ages (or 3 dont remember)
10. No effect really other than not settling some places with bad loyalty.
11. I sadly discovered a lot of natural wonders early so bad tourism loss from this (each relic could be 24 tourism). I tried to migitate with wonders (supposed to give 2 tourism?) and gaining early artists.
12. By far I learned a lot on the culture game.

Edit ups maybe wrong gotm!?

Moderator Action: Moved to correct 6otM After Action thread. Congrats on your win. leif

Attachments

• AutoSave_0145.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
CV T100

Game notes
I went south with the settler since forest/rain forest clusters appear more frequently near the equator.
I settled T9 near Ngazargamu. It didn't have many forests, but 4 luxuries in range.
I got a scout from a tribal village on starting island. I sent him south and found Kandy...
It looks like I have practiced early flight games for nothing... oh well. At least, I found Kandy early which allowed me to switch gears effectively.
I found 4/5 natural wonders which were converted to relics.
I also bought a relic from Dido.
Harald and Kristina got early empire/open borders really late. I couldn't get open borders from Kristina until T78...
Mansa Musa surged by around 10 domestic tourists (presumably hitting a bunch of inspirations including the Enlightenment) during the last 10 turns. He was not even the cultural leader for most of the game which was kind of surprising.

Maori notes

Early seafaring and +2 movement to embarked units is really useful for meeting civilizations early without taking the risk of discovering natural wonders (by getting to close to coast or venturing inland).
With units ending their turns in ocean tiles, you also do not have to fear any barbarian melee attack (especially useful for vulnerable 1 charge builders).

Gathering Storm notes
The new diplomatic favor and strategic ressource system just make it easier to amass more gold early trough trades which makes this type of quick gimmick game even faster.
The different government modifier definitely seems to be bugged (always giving no penalty (0%)) making it faster to accrue tourists.

Attachments

• KUPE 101 375 BC.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 202
CV T99

However this was my 2nd replay so please count this as invalid. The first time through I took my settler far west and my warrior SW and had a bad game with my capitol in between Mali and Ottomans and expos a long reach back to where I started. So I just gave up knowing the game was going to drag on forever. Then I read Victoria's post and followed her directions almost exactly with just a tad different starting spot. I could have got a T94 victory if I hadn't let Wilhelmina take back majority religion; that is the price for getting sloppy. Kupe is a really fun civ but without Kandy a cultural victory seems impossible without the ability to create GWs. Knowing where all the natural wonders are made for a fun and smooth replay :) Well smooth up until the religious civs got mad at me for taking majority religion then eventually everyone denounced me so I lost my open borders bonus, but at that point the game was almost over.

Only saw one natural disaster, an H4 hurricane.

I really liked my starting spot since it game me 2 food, 2 prod, 2 cult, 2 gold.

Thanks for the map!

Attachments

• CivilizationVI 2019-02-18 20-13-24-66.png
    CivilizationVI 2019-02-18 20-13-24-66.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 184
  • KUPE 99 425 BC CV.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
CV T205

Settled 14, captured 3 city states and Carthage, and gained a Swedish city through loyalty

culture and tourism :)

No, I was nice with everyone

Early galeys and warriors to conquer city states

Not that useful except that it came earlier than the swordsman

archelologist, for so many themed museums

Not especially

Got some relics from Kandy, and yields in general as I was suzerain of all of them

Founded early religion with ability to purchase theater square buildings with faith, that was very useful especially to get the marea quickly

Marae everywhere, lots of yields because I am the Maori, themed museums all over the place, many harbors and trade routes, national parks, resorts, get flight and take off

Normal age, monumentality golden age (with twice as much era score as needed, scewed up the planning here), normal age, golden ages (won the game before I could get to the culture one)

Just some spots I could not settle but I was doing ok, even got a city from Sweden

My first rock band failed at the first concert, the second one did not even have time to perform before I won the game

A lot :)

Last edited:
The different government modifier definitely seems to be bugged (always giving no penalty (0%)) making it faster to accrue tourists.
They have changed this parameter in the game from
TOURISM_CONFLICTING_GOVERNMENT_MULTIPLIER=3 to
TOURISM_CONFLICTING_GOVERNMENT_MULTIPLIER=1
This should still make a difference of merely 1-3% in this game but yes, will look at reporting.
especially useful for vulnerable 1 charge builders
I use them most games, just so much earlier and so much better intelligence... and they can land to take a good hut which I will do even if barbs are there sometimes because 1 builder charge is worth a eureka.. nothing you don't know I guess but they survive quite well even when not Maori.

cv241

Suprisingly docile AI in this game. Led in every category without even trying. Lot easier than R&F emperor level, though maybe thats Kupe superpower. Only one very lame attack by Mali, and I took a city for it launching an emergency. Had a fatal game crash when I was targeted by an emergency. Had to reinstall everything, and then the last 2 autosaves were glitched. So t159 and 160 were replayed. I had to get flight, conservation, computers, and finally cristo redentor. Then rock bands. 4 nat parks, 5 cities settlled one captured.

Took a while, but wiping out Sulis govenor stopped his culture push which put me past him with score 832.

Attachments

• KUPE 241 1650 AD cv sc832.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
I use them most games, just so much earlier and so much better intelligence... and they can land to take a good hut which I will do even if barbs are there sometimes because 1 builder charge is worth a eureka.. nothing you don't know I guess but they survive quite well even when not Maori.

I'm just saying that the Maori's abilities make 'one-charge builder exploration' more powerful and a no brainer since it is now a no-risk strategy.
a 2-MP builder that can explore only coast and that is captured if it meets a 3-MP barbarian galley < a 4-MP builder than can explore ocean and has 0% chance of getting captured by a random barbarian galley
a 3-MP galley that cannot get tribal villages < a 4-MP builder that can get tribal villages

Top Bottom