6otm58 AAR

SV 221

I intended to SIP but moved the settler on the cattle when I meant to move the warrior so just settled there.
Took a while to get pantheon and luckily got goth. Didn't bother with religion.
Expanded early and got off to a good start but ignored military for too long.
Pushed culture early and glad I did because around turn 90 Egypt conquered Kumasi so my +culture trade routes were gone until I liberated much later.
Built 3 factories, 2 converted to nuke plants. Didn't have time to recommission them once the space projects began and ran the risk of a meltdown. Didn't happen but added some excitement to the boring end game projects :)
Built 3 spaceports, bought 2. One was barely used.
One nuke plant was sabotaged on last turn. Had spies on spaceports but forgot to put on my factories :rolleyes:

Ok, off to watch Captain Marvel on IMAX

спасибо вам за отличную карту

Attachments

• CivilizationVI GotM58 T221 SV.png
    CivilizationVI GotM58 T221 SV.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 176
  • PACHACUTI 221 1550 AD SV.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Science Victory T182 (end of turn sequence leading to T183)

Amazing job and thanks for that detailed review and screenshots throughout the game. I usually don't bother trying for religion even on prince unless I'm Russia or Arabia.

I had almost the same amount of science as you on T100 but wasn't ready for war and didn't get 400 science until T150 whereas you had that much at T120!

Very nice. I might try to replay this and go for religion.

Unf

Unfortunetely, no. I just learned how to make a screenshot yesterday, and it gives a .tga file so I'm still struggling with that. I can probably find a save that has it, though... and if I do Ill post it here.

Moderator Action: Added spoiler tags, leif

Does this game assume nuclear reactors are boiler water GE technology from 1950? :nuke: Would explain a lot...

SV 298

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

11 cities settled

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

After T100 I beelined the spaceport and then kept beelining what I needed to win. It felt like it took longer than I needed it to for me to find the exoplanet mission.

- Did you bother with Religion?

Nope.

- Did you Bother with Culture?

Yes, but I should have pushed for it earlier.

- Were City-States helpful?

The Science city states were helpful... Once I actually found them

Nazca was surprisingly helpful. I got pleasantly distracted dropping Nazca lines everywhere

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Nothing too shocking this game...

- Did you enjoy the game?

I had Napoleon make an army out of a Giant Death Robot. I'm loving imagining him riding around on a giant mech. So yeah, I enjoyed it.

Attachments

• GOTM58Win.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
SV t196
It was my first attempt to sv in GS and I made way too many mistakes, I forgot to push for a pantheon and ended up missing on Goddess Of The Harvest. The game would have been so much different with it.
Gold was also very problematic especially because I didn't plan well enough my Big Ben city. I wanted to build 3 spaceports but could only afford 2 and didn't even had enough money to buy builders to finish projects.
Faith and Gold were really the bottleneck in my game.
Settled 11 and captured ~35
I headed toward Rocketry until I understood I wouldn't have enough money, so I made a detour to Steel for Urbanization golds.
I did get a religion from Nazca but it didn't play a big role in my game.
Not at all.
Yes, I choped Kilwa as soon as I found out Palenque was in the game, eventhough it was already pretty late.
A river flood destroying my campus in Xian when it was about to give me a Tech lab, 70 turns to repair the campus .... I just gave up the campus.
I also did get beat to the Pyramids by Eleanor.
Yes, the start was amazing for the Incas. Didn't get to use Qhapaq Ñan improvement.
Prince is such a different world, if I had to replay I would plan on building the Great Zimbabwe since on higher difficulty you always have a decent faith/gold output from captured cities/trades.
Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 196 1350 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • 20190312120927_1.jpg
    20190312120927_1.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 136
Take 3
Turn 296
(First was T331, Second was T304)

With the current strategies I'm using, I don't think I could shave off more than 10 or so more turns.
Watching some let's plays and realizing I don't quite understand how to use faith or governors well. I'm seeing these sub 200 runs and it took most everything I had to get sub 300
Would love to see a writeup of how to use governors more effectively.

Science victory T259 (1413 points; Lech Walesa). Just squeezed this in before a 2-week vacation. My first attempt at a GS science victory and a bit of a learning curve as regards tech choice, power etc.

From T110 I headed W and conquered India with little resistance and gained some good science cities. Otherwise the AI were of minimal help:- I had the monopoly an all GP except prophets but was so far ahead that no space-related GP became available by my time of victory. I built numerous geothermal power stations and solar farms to keep powered until I reached the tier-4 government which gives added power to all cities. I forgot about the Polar Research station, although the available spots were poor on review. I used workers to rush the final-stage space projects, building numerous projects to speed up the flight-time. I would have knocked about 10 turns off the finish date if the future techs had spawned in a better order. I was suzerain of all 10 remaining CS by the time Globalisation was reached.

I enjoyed playing the Inca. Well-placed Terrace farms provide LOTS of food and production and the trade-route UA is very strong. I did use mountain tiles for production in my Spaceport cities late-game and built a UU which proved a useful barb hunter:- I lost my highly-promoted scout before getting the +20 combat bonus which would have made a cool UU upgrade. I also constructed a mountain tunnel to attack India for the achievement.

Really like the new GS map spawn and new terrain, esp geothermal vents and volcanoes. I had numerous floods and eruptions but no serious damage. I did build a couple of dams late-game but his was largely for hydro plants. I suffered a crash (freeze-frame) around T230 whilst well ahead.

Very interesting map, thanks for the game!

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 259 1740 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
SV turn 380
11 selfbuilt, few stupid and 16 captured one's. Razed few from the other continent aswell, because had to try GDR :borg:
I pretty much went with science first and I felt at some point I was going fast, but then I stepped on the bottomless pit of me wanting to build everything everywhere and.. well you know the consequences.
- Did you bother with Religion
Nope

A bit at the end of early game
Not really. I just got to experiment with few UI's I had never seen before so it was interesting
How "much" barbarians caused trouble. Idk when I have last see nso many barbarians.
All the way to the end where I stupidly started taking AI cities instead of just building science stuff and winning.............. :D

Attachments

• PACHACUTI Science 6otm58.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 161
Settled 6, captured another 10 or 12.
For research, I prioritized Engineering, Scientific Theory, and Synthetic Materials, before switching to space race techs. This was my first game trying out green energy, so I made that the sole power source for my empire. I focused policies on the adjacency / building bonuses for culture, religion, and gold, in that order. Eventually I added the colonialism production boost, as my spaceport was on the nearby continent.
No. I build a faith stockpile thanks to a relic in the first goody hut, but never had any use for it.
I avoided theater squares in lieu of improvements and governors until mid-game, when I built two around my utilitarian wonders.
I always appreciate Buenos Aires for alleviating amenity needs. Otherwise, I was a pretty bad sovereign; when I saw the AI encroach on a vassal, I just made sure I had their improvements finished within my boundaries.
I had planned on going aggressive from the late Medieval Era on, to get the pillage boosts to science and give me something to do. On prince, though, the AI really did not have much to pillage. I ended up fighting a couple wars to test out the Spec Ops and Giant Death Robots, and pass the time while I waited for the spaceship to travel.
Once again, I appreciate the focus that playing a GotM brings. I enjoyed prepping for the space race more than running it, though. I climbed the tech tree in such a way that there was a long gap between launching the spaceship and getting the projects that sped it up. By that point I was so far ahead that the AI couldn't take advantage of my mistake, so I just sandboxed some late-game warfare while waiting to get to the projects.

... and so I played my first GotM since 14 years. Not joking. And yes, there was a GotM 14 years ago!

SV at t418 - hell yeah.

I played roughly 10 Civ6 games before this one and Prince happens to be my standard playing level so far. I'll change to King now though.

It was an interesting experience as I felt like playing an inferior game most of the time, mainly because I was undecided about my strategy over long stretches of the game. I didn't submit EAR, as I was too lazy to take proper notes, but then it wasn't interesting anyhow. I somehow met most parties early on, avoided early warfare except war on barbs and didn't get up too speed.

-How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled 15 and captured 3. The captured ones were 2 Indian metropoles and the English outpost of Nazca.

Very early on the 3 basics plus bronze working to see iron, later I went with the flow of boosts. If there was a focus at all, it was military.

Nope, and almost lost by RV to Kupe who had 5 out of 7 nations converted to Judaism, at two different stages in the game.

Only monuments and three archeological museums, to clean my space from artifacts.

Probably. I owned Nan Madol, Auckland and Buenos Aires most of the time, I guess the industrial bonusses of the latter two had an effect on productivity.

The small size of the map (should have read the description, I know), how crowded the place was and a high number of Barbarians at start, whom I converted into XP for slingers and archers. Oh and the Inca tunneling ability, I wasn't aware of it and I like it a lot.

To be honest, a bit but not too much. It never really worked out for me and SV takes forever. I was permanently tempted to capture some more cities but wanted to avoid the diplomatical fallout on the other hand. I had a strong infrastructure for military play and then didn't use it. And basically waiting for SV to happen can be boring.

However, the next game will be better and I won't wait another 14 years this time around.

Attachments

• PACHACUTI_418_1997AD.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
... and so I played my first GotM since 14 years. Not joking. And yes, there was a GotM 14 years ago!

However, the next game will be better and I won't wait another 14 years this time around.
Welcome back!

There certainly was a Game of the Month 14 years ago, but it was a bit different. :mischief:

Best of luck in future games. :thumbsup:

First time doing a 6OTM challenge. Had just had a narrow loss as Pachacuti, so was nice to try again.

SV t377

- How many cities did you settle or capture? 8 cities founded, 1 conquered, and 1 converted

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I prioritized Wonders and Science, as well as faith for buying units

- Did you bother with Religion? Yes, but I dislike managing religious units so I mostly just kept my cities religious

- Did you Bother with Culture? Yes, as wonders were super easy to come by and a lot of those boosted culture, and advancing through the policy tree helps with science

- Were City-States helpful? A couple of the suzerain bonuses were nice for amenity management and such, and with a couple of envoy specific wonders it was pretty easy to hang onto many of them.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not really, prince is pretty much a cakewalk, and the Inca's early game with terrace farms and maneuverability seem pretty strong

- Did you enjoy the game? It was a fun quick one, certainly could have been a bit more challenging, but I like the Incas

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 430 2009 AD.Civ6Save
    4.1 MB · Views: 132
SV 271 - Score: 2321

It was pretty challenging to not win a CV. Had to practically gift away great works and artifacts and delay certain techs to keep myself floating at about ~20 turns until CV for the most part of the game.
The AI overpays a lot for coal once they have discovered it. Didn't use any of my own, so there wasn't any trouble with the climate (apart from some storms destroying my Terrace Farms under
which Iron had spawned. Didn't plan to replace those but these Sniper Storms kinda ruined some of my nice mountain/terrace farm setups).

Successfully ran a Nuclear Power Plant without any accidents. :woohoo:
One city (Petra/Ruhr/Nasca Lines) took care of all the science projects before two other cities were able to finish a spaceport
of their own. They were very handy though for running the 50 lightyear projects several times (about 3 turns per project).

Not sure how Palenque works... but people seem to like it for Science games... religious convertion I guess? Not sure though
if I would have been able to do that since I needed my Faith for Science Lab and Universities bought via Jesuit Education.

Attachments

• gotm58_271_2321.png
    gotm58_271_2321.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 125
  • PACHACUTI 271 1800 AD WIN.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom