6otM59 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM59 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- Did religion play a role in your game?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Diplomatic VC?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- How do you think Diplomatic VC is implemented?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is

t220 and not a SINGLE natural disaster emergency... only one DV vote had gone so far and so I am standing at a grand total of 3 points... no sign of the next vote coming anytime and my cities run out of things to do.... Got everything... 5 alliances, 6 suzeraintys with orkazaz or whatever that wonder is called... lady liberty....

Nothing to do but click next turn!?

I think I shall simply give up and card the tourism cards, spend my 8k faith on an army of rock bands and finish this culturally... atm DV is almost unplayable.

Edit: finally got an emergency this late in the game--my first one!!! However... at this point, don't think I'm going to wait for 3 more DV votes... (these are 30 turns/time right?)...

Changed my mind... since I've wasted a lot of time doing this, wanted to see the DV screen... uncarded all the tourism cards and just clicked on... saved seasteads tech for last sitting at 7/10 points--AI will not stop you... won the vote to 9/10 and finished seasteads to win.

DV t274 (ugh! but not sure if this could be sped up at all due to the era turn limit)
Kept everyone alive and healthy to ensure that world eras would pass quickly. Thanks to Gorgo's 400 cpt was able to avoid cultural victory as long as I did not slot the tourism cards (tried to go for it, once realized this was taking to long, but changed my mind)

I'm glad that's over with and the achievement unlocked.

Spoiler :

View attachment 520532

upload_2019-3-16_9-49-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_9-49-27.png
    upload_2019-3-16_9-49-27.png
    825.9 KB · Views: 182
  • MANSA MUSA 274 1806 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Settled 8, captured one free city on the other continent, flipped one of Cleo's cities

Went culture-heavy; go for globalization to get 5% science per suz and then just rush science afterwards (buying campi and 3 buildings instantaneously)

No... that would've been quite unfitting of the winning screen now that I've seen it

Got Mandekalu for era score and then bought some random units to get era scores and for corps/armies/fleets/armadas as necessary to get golden ages all game (except for the first age which was normal)

Not at all... maybe in taking down the free city (but that had 20 strength!... anything could've taken it down)

The builder

Need those alliances to get favor. That's about it. Cleo's a good trading partner for the food.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

Nope, on Immortal apparently AI lets CS survive... which is good

Not at all

Just clicking next turn and avoid CV. Heard that you should not be at 8/10 at the vote otherwise AI will block you with everything they got. If 7/10 they won't. So just withhold researching the DV tech until last.

All golden except the first. No real strat but to build wonders (since they are not penalized by 30%)

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?

Cleo was surprisingly slow to get civil service so had to wait a while before expanding somewhere near her skirts... otherwise went to the other continent and survived fine just by harvesting food. (golden ages all the time helps)

I thought the first vote should come in industrial... turns out it is in Modern. Once decided to give up and finish CV but then realized that I might as well go for it since I've come this far.

Very badly at this point. I think at least make the global projects (world fair, etc.) also give 1 DV point would be nice. Also, need to play on disaster setting 4 otherwise you'll end up with just one natural disaster emergency the whole game like me (lots of major floods around my area, but Egypt is immune... maybe if it had been any other civ my win could've been 30 turns faster)

At this point, yes I guess. The win screen looks nice but overall the game itself was tedious.

I think someone out there likes me as I don't have to finish the diplo voctory. I was conquering without much regard for much of anything when the religious victory screen flashed for India around T217. I had a whopping 2 diplomatic victory points I was able to vote myself @ the last World Congress. I'd imagine it would be quite some time until I got the other 8 I need for victory.

This is the 2nd game I've lost to religious victory since the release of Gathering Storm. Prior to GS this hadn't happened for a long while. So long in fact that I still just ignore the RV condition.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 3_16_2019 5_16_20 AM.png

Edit: I've reloaded from 1 turn back and corrected the error :cringe:. Ie. eradicated all religion founders.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 3_16_2019 10_41_22 AM.png

Last edited:
This is the 2nd game I've lost to religious victory since the release of Gathering Storm. Prior to GS this hadn't happened for a long while. So long in fact that I still just ignore the RV condition.
Thank you for posting your loss. :thumbsup:

Sorry but I don't have the strength to finish the game. My first time trying for a diplo victory and I think I screwed up somewhere. I have SoL, seasteads tech, global warming mitigation civic, 4 points from two DV votes, waiting for next one but if I'm correct I will be short of victory by one :mad:. I can't figure out a way to speed it up :( No natural disaster emergencies just a world's fair which I won and mistakenly thought would give diplomatic points but doesn't. I have almost 2k diplomatic favor which I can't do anything with.

I built numerous wonders, I'm swimming in 33k gold making 2.2k gold per turn, almost 10k faith and 500 per turn. I purchased 4 GDRs just for fun and took some cities but with 33 trade routes each turn is just so painful.

Spoiler :

Mali is amazing and the map is great, I just don't like this diplomatic victory. This would have been great for all other victory conditions :) I had golden ages all the way through. Petra in capital was insane, almost 400 gpt just from it lol.

Only settled 4 cities in beginning. Egypt was my first victim and fell around T70 but Dido took much longer with the awful terrain and almost endless amount of archers and other units. After I took the continent I took too long in planting other cities which I think slowed things down.

Didn't found a religion but had plenty of faith regen.

Mostly went with monumentality, tried free inquiry once and it was a nice +80 boost to science. Late game went with To Arms because I was bored and GDRs made it fun.

EDIT: I think Egypt fell around T85, not T70. Thought I saved a screenshot of that but guess not.

Last note: I have a new appreciation for Mali. The start is slow but as you conquer it just snowballs and almost everything grows exponentially. With that much faith you can buy markets, banks and stock exchanges. With that gold you can do anything :) I read in another thread that Mansa Musa would be worth in today's value about 400 trillion dollars.

Last edited:

Nope, on Immortal apparently AI lets CS survive... which is good
Wow, not for me. Dido took 4 city states so after Egypt she was my next target.

Sorry but I don't have the strength to finish the game. My first time trying for a diplo victory and I think I screwed up somewhere. I have SoL, seasteads tech, global warming mitigation civic, 4 points from two DV votes, waiting for next one but if I'm correct I will be short of victory by one :mad:. I can't figure out a way to speed it up :( No natural disaster emergencies just a world's fair which I won and mistakenly thought would give diplomatic points but doesn't. I have almost 2k diplomatic favor which I can't do anything with.

I built numerous wonders, I'm swimming in 33k gold making 2.2k gold per turn, almost 10k faith and 500 per turn. I purchased 4 GDRs just for fun and took some cities but with 33 trade routes each turn is just so painful.

Spoiler :

Mali is amazing and the map is great, I just don't like this diplomatic victory. This would have been great for all other victory conditions :) I had golden ages all the way through. Petra in capital was insane, almost 400 gpt just from it lol.

Only settled 4 cities in beginning. Egypt was my first victim and fell around T70 but Dido took much longer with the awful terrain and almost endless amount of archers and other units. After I took the continent I took too long in planting other cities which I think slowed things down.

Didn't found a religion but had plenty of faith regen.

Mostly went with monumentality, tried free inquiry once and it was a nice +80 boost to science. Late game went with To Arms because I was bored and GDRs made it fun.

EDIT: I think Egypt fell around T85, not T70. Thought I saved a screenshot of that but guess not.

Last note: I have a new appreciation for Mali. The start is slow but as you conquer it just snowballs and almost everything grows exponentially. With that much faith you can buy markets, banks and stock exchanges. With that gold you can do anything :) I read in another thread that Mansa Musa would be worth in today's value about 400 trillion dollars.

You basically just needed one emergency... Mine was similar... 6 from votes, 2 from tech/civic, 1 from SoL and 1 from emergency

Don't know what is wrong with this map, but I think natural disaster emergencies simply do not happen on this map! Flooding does not harm Egypt (and by far I saw a lot of major and 1000 year ones) which would've been a potential emergency chance each if Egypt had not been Egypt.

Of course, best chance is to keep everyone alive with as much potential disaster land as possible (since if disasters happens in your lands, no chance to get DV point there) but in normal games I usually get 3 such emergencies in under 200 turns... this game the first one came up t220 even if I didn't touch anyone... dunno why!?

You basically just needed one emergency... Mine was similar... 6 from votes, 2 from tech/civic, 1 from SoL and 1 from emergency

Don't know what is wrong with this map, but I think natural disaster emergencies simply do not happen on this map! Flooding does not harm Egypt (and by far I saw a lot of major and 1000 year ones) which would've been a potential emergency chance each if Egypt had not been Egypt.

Of course, best chance is to keep everyone alive with as much potential disaster land as possible (since if disasters happens in your lands, no chance to get DV point there) but in normal games I usually get 3 such emergencies in under 200 turns... this game the first one came up t220 even if I didn't touch anyone... dunno why!?

Thanks for the reply. Now I wonder if all that conquering worked against me. I think I will just restart and try to play peacefully so I can get better odds of at least one natural disaster emergency to another civ. However if it was like last time then I will still need a small army to liberate the city states that Dido took. She swept down and took Mexico City, Bologna, Kumasi and Brussels. No way I'm letting her take those especially Bologna and Kumasi.

Wow I guess I'm just cursed on this map with lack of natural disaster emergencies. Just for kicks I played again but was much more peaceful. I still had to take out Dido as she was taking out city states and spamming cities around me. Egypt wasn't happy with me either and dowed me a few times. I figured she isn't going to have many emergencies with immunity to floods so I just got rid of her. So that still left plenty of civs and room for emergencies but nope, not a single damn one. I had 3 alliances and one friendship, in no danger of of any civ getting a religious, cultural or science victory. I went into a dark age just to pass Ottoman and Arabia agendas. All this and yet...

T283 passed Diplo votes for a total of 9/10 lol . They really need to fix this issue and allow some other way to get that 10th point without relying on a random luck event. I can't go on another 30 turns at this point. Maybe weeks from now just for kicks.

On a sidenote, I pushed culture so much that I got globalization without needing a moon landing for the culture boost.

Attachments

• CivilizationVI diplo fail again.png
    CivilizationVI diplo fail again.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 266
Wow I guess I'm just cursed on this map with lack of natural disaster emergencies. Just for kicks I played again but was much more peaceful. I still had to take out Dido as she was taking out city states and spamming cities around me. Egypt wasn't happy with me either and dowed me a few times. I figured she isn't going to have many emergencies with immunity to floods so I just got rid of her. So that still left plenty of civs and room for emergencies but nope, not a single damn one. I had 3 alliances and one friendship, in no danger of of any civ getting a religious, cultural or science victory. I went into a dark age just to pass Ottoman and Arabia agendas. All this and yet...

T283 passed Diplo votes for a total of 9/10 lol . They really need to fix this issue and allow some other way to get that 10th point without relying on a random luck event. I can't go on another 30 turns at this point. Maybe weeks from now just for kicks.

On a sidenote, I pushed culture so much that I got globalization without needing a moon landing for the culture boost.
I didn't get any emergencies either. I was thinking maybe if I would have explored the other continent earlier and met the civs, maybe I could participate in a few missed aid emergencies. I'm not going to replay though. I continued to play with a save even after losing to a Gandhi religious victory due to my warring and eventually triggered a DV on T301. I burned the time scrubbing carbon and learned something: Apparently you can lower the temperatures but not decrease the severity of the polar ice melt. I ended up razing all but 1 of Shaka's cities to lower his carbon output (and pass the time). Here is the final shot...
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 3_16_2019 6_39_30 PM.png

I didn't get any emergencies either. I was thinking maybe if I would have explored the other continent earlier and met the civs, maybe I could participate in a few missed aid emergencies. I'm not going to replay though. I continued to play with a save even after losing to a Gandhi religious victory due to my warring and eventually triggered a DV on T301. I burned the time scrubbing carbon and learned something: Apparently you can lower the temperatures but not decrease the severity of the polar ice melt. I ended up razing all but 1 of Shaka's cities to lower his carbon output (and pass the time). Here is the final shot...

Lol nice. Evil trick to play on Shaka :cry: I need to keep that in mind for future games. I built plants in all my cities just for the carbon capture project that gives 30 diplomatic favor.

Lol nice. Evil trick to play on Shaka :cry: I need to keep that in mind for future games. I built plants in all my cities just for the carbon capture project that gives 30 diplomatic favor.
What can I say, he was clearly in denial about his part in the destruction of the planet we both share :lol:.

On a more serious note, I did much the same. All I had to do was get the IZ built and then buy a workshop, factory and coal plant. By the time the next IZ was built in another city (in say 5 or 6 turns), I'd already have enough gold for another round of T1/2/3 buildings. Then I'd finish the capture carbon projects faster with the extra production from the coal plants :crazyeye:. Mali is a powerful civ once you get by the early production/unit malus malaise.

What can I say, he was clearly in denial about his part in the destruction of the planet we both share :lol:.

On a more serious note, I did much the same. All I had to do was get the IZ built and then buy a workshop, factory and coal plant. By the time the next IZ was built in another city (in say 5 or 6 turns), I'd already have enough gold for another round of T1/2/3 buildings. Then I'd finish the capture carbon projects faster with the extra production from the coal plants :crazyeye:. Mali is a powerful civ once you get by the early production/unit malus malaise.

Yea it's crazy how OP Mali is once the gold is rolling in and you can just buy buildings after getting those districts up. It is going to make playing other civs really tough after this. :scared:

Turn 200 and I've given up, my game is so bugged. I replayed 50 turns from when I saved the previous night before going to bed, but the same bugs turned up again and again. I only replayed because of the bugs, not because of bad events.
  • Ngazargamu became locked into a perma-war against me after I liberated it from Dido @ turn 125. I am suzerain of it, I have the most envoys there (3). I added an envoy. I sent Armani there. I took her away again. I completed a quest for it (in the next age). I ended up with 7 envoys, nothing made any difference. In the city state screen they have me a suzerain and at war. So I don't get the discount to buy things :( . When I discovered it I was really looking forwards to getting the stacking discount to buy my army super cheep. So disappointed
  • Niani, my capital, which has a suguba and a holy site, has lost the 20% discount on buying things and won't let my faith buy commercial hug district buildings. I think this is spreading to my other cities also, I can't be bothered to investigate as I am so disappointed with the game now.
  • Not a single emergency or opportunity to gain diplomatic points by turn 200.
Founded 8 cities of my own, conquered the rest of the continent
Survival, then I aimed for feudalism and my UU.
Cleopatra, Dido (she is such a bacstabbing *****) and then Suilman.
swordsmen, archers, lots of horsemen. Then my UU, took ages to upgrade into my knight replacements as there was so little iron.
yes, good solid knight replacement, and the money it made murdering other units was essential.
Builder. It's always the builder. But after that, the horseman who carried much of my early wars through numbers.
Yes, keeping Suliman a friend and ally really helped me survive, I often find immortal a struggle. Capturing inwe (Cleo's 2nd city triggered an emergency against me), without Suli helping me, I think I would have been swept away.
Dido was a maniac, she rolled over every city state she could see. I freed the science one twice. But Ngaz got bugged bad (as described)
Not at all, Suliman, a good protestant, converted everyone on this continent
After not being able to gain any progress to my victory condition after 200 turns I abandoned the game.
I alternated normal and golden ages. I think I had a grand total of 3 barbarian camps in the whole game so getting golden ages was hard.
Sucks to not get a golden age when part of your civ's ability relies on getting a golden age (+1 trade route).
Victor, promoted to give +4 loyalty was critical to holding cities.
Kilamanjaro exploded in two consecuitive turns, I saw Bologne get completely and utterly hammered, losing 4 pop, all it's walls and all it's infrastructure except the science district.
I think it sucks. After 200 turns, nobody has gotten a single diplomatic point. I'm rolling in diplo favour, and I've got nothing to do with it.
Unless random events happen that involve me, I can't do anything to try win.
The totally random votes in the World Congress are a terrible mechanic. About half of the votes I don't care about. The other half I win about half of them, but the voting mechanism feels random - no opportunity to talk to/negotiate with leaders etc.
And all the special sessions that say "this doesn't involve you, you can't vote in it" are just a a waste of time and space.
No. First GOTM I've not enjoyed.
I was annoyed from turn 3-4 when I founded by city a the desert edge that the only desert was totally hilly. There went another part of my civ's ability (bonus gold on trade routes) - it did mean that it was more productive terrain, but still

Turn 200 and I've given up, my game is so bugged. I replayed 50 turns from when I saved the previous night before going to bed, but the same bugs turned up again and again. I only replayed because of the bugs, not because of bad events.
  • Ngazargamu became locked into a perma-war against me after I liberated it from Dido @ turn 125. I am suzerain of it, I have the most envoys there (3). I added an envoy. I sent Armani there. I took her away again. I completed a quest for it (in the next age). I ended up with 7 envoys, nothing made any difference. In the city state screen they have me a suzerain and at war. So I don't get the discount to buy things :( . When I discovered it I was really looking forwards to getting the stacking discount to buy my army super cheep. So disappointed
I noticed the same thing. I was both suzerain and at listed as at war. I didn't worry about it, and it seemed to have passed.

Lost T404 / 2684pts. Dido managed to get scientific victory.

I could have won, but am not yet very familiar how to achieve diplomatic victory. I wasted too much favor on some trade deals and votes about amenities etc. It seems that all AI will vote against you even if you have good relations, when you are about to win the game. It was tight vote and I lost by just one vote I think.

Mali seems fun to play. Massive amounts of gold and faith. I had Petra, but unfortunately it was submerged underwater in the late game :D I played peacefully. Eqypt was constantly declaring war against me and surprised me getting 2/3 of my cities early game. I wiped her out of the map and played "peacefully" after that. (Captured my allies Dido and Suleiman using Rock bands for -50loyality flip. AI didn't seem to mind that...)

Attachments

• MANSA MUSA 404 1983 AD.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
  • g59_t404.png
    g59_t404.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 165
DV T156

This post should illustrate why we should now adopt the former Civ V nomenclature of DiplV and DomV.
Originally I planned to only wipe the main continent, but then I had the option of either ending this in 20 turns via domination or wait around 150 turns for a diplomatic victory and I choose the former.
My conquest seems to have slowed down the normal era progression or maybe it was because it was only set to immortal difficulty.

Attachments

• MANSA MUSA 156 900 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 226
  • Civ6Screen0008.jpg
    Civ6Screen0008.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Civ6Screen0009.jpg
    Civ6Screen0009.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 147
T250 with 4 pts after i wiped them all except the Zulu
What about giving voting rights to CS 1 pt for every suzerain ?

Top Bottom