6otM59 After Action

T313 DiploV *yawn*

Finally finished the game just to get the achievement and to see how much gold I could acquire. Wasn't fun missing the vote by 1pt on T283 :(

Next time I will be wiser and do what DanQ did and just aim for a DomV from the start :mischief:

Attachments

• CivilizationVI Gotm59 Boring_ass_diplov.png
    CivilizationVI Gotm59 Boring_ass_diplov.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
t370 Diplo win, score 1519

Slow start and slow finish. I had SoL and got Seasteds tech on the turn for the 4th DipV vote. I saw that Mansa passed... and thought it was ome kinda glitch that the game didnt end. Instead, it said I only had 7 diplo vic points now! Yikes... they ALL voted to strike a point from me. I figured Shaka would launch before 60 more turns, but fortunately I got Global Warming Mitigation only 1 turn after getting to 9 DipV points, and won the game.

Just a few questions... what triggers when the Diplo Victory voting begins? I could have won much earlier if I knew that, maybe. Instead, just a llot of waiting.

Wiped out Cleo pretty late (t200 or so), and liberated 3 CS in the process. Then wiped out all but one of Dido cities, it flipped, and I resurected her for 300 pts. A city you liberate is immune to your loyalty pressure, so it was a one-off thing. I guess when the AI voyted me down 32 turns ago, they used up all their diplo and could not stop my 1000+ vote for myself.
Spoiler My cities :
Mansa_win.jpg

Attachments

• MM diplo t370 1949 AD sc1519.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
t370 Diplo win, score 1519

Slow start and slow finish. I had SoL and got Seasteds tech on the turn for the 4th DipV vote. I saw that Mansa passed... and thought it was ome kinda glitch that the game didnt end. Instead, it said I only had 7 diplo vic points now! Yikes... they ALL voted to strike a point from me. I figured Shaka would launch before 60 more turns, but fortunately I got Global Warming Mitigation only 1 turn after getting to 9 DipV points, and won the game.

Just a few questions... what triggers when the Diplo Victory voting begins? I could have won much earlier if I knew that, maybe. Instead, just a llot of waiting.

Wiped out Cleo pretty late (t200 or so), and liberated 3 CS in the process. Then wiped out all but one of Dido cities, it flipped, and I resurected her for 300 pts. A city you liberate is immune to your loyalty pressure, so it was a one-off thing. I guess when the AI voyted me down 32 turns ago, they used up all their diplo and could not stop my 1000+ vote for myself.
Spoiler My cities :
AI will not stop you with all they have at 7/10 pts, but will do so at 8/10 and 9/10. 1000 diplo points will be nowhere near enough for standard size to win such votes. Best way is to stop at 7/10 then get to 9/10 and win from there with tech or civic

Stopped around T170. Thought I could handle the grind and all, but apparently not... The problem for me is not so much that it takes so long, but that most of the game is inconsequential for DipV. I mean when going domination, you always need to plan the next steps, and Science victories can be planned and organized around (plan eurekas, suzerain states and so on). This one just felt so disconnected from the rest of the game that going forward was not worth it.

Failure, I've restarted and reloaded this map a ton of times this week therefore i'm not submitting it. I tried to horserush Egypt in two of my attempts, the first attempt was successful however Dido called an emergency against me and that made things difficult. This attempt Egypt declared war on me on the turn I got horses and I manged to take two of her cities before Dido once again declared war with her and now they are pushing me back. I'm not a warmonger at all and I've tried several methods with this map but none are successful. Granted, immortal (I usually play on emperor, at least in rise and fall anyway) is not my usual difficulty level and this is only my third game of gathering storm. Mali's -30% production doesn't help either. Here is the save and some images if anybody wishes to salvage this.

Attachments

• 20190401001707_1.jpg
    20190401001707_1.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190401001526_1.jpg
    20190401001526_1.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 20190401002133_1.jpg
    20190401002133_1.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 97
  • MANSA MUSA 61 1600 BC Horses.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • MANSA MUSA 93 575 BC FAILURE .Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
Turn 304, Diplomatic Victory

Went down that long, straight road...

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
Settled 7 (incl. 2 captured settler), captured 49

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Research: Astrology (Great Prophet), Currency (Sugubas), Stirrups (Mandekalus), Cartography (Discovering the world), Apprenticeship (Industrial Zone), Industrialization (Factories), Seasteds (Dipl. Victory Point)
Policies: Diplomatic League (+1 Envoy for first Envoy sent), Charismatic Leader (+2 influence points on earning envoys), Scripture (100% Holy Site adjacency bonus), Town Charters (100% Commercial Hub adjacency bonus); later Professional Army (50% discount on upgrading units)

- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
Anyone but Gorgo, the less AI enemies, the easier the diplomatic victory because of less competition when it comes to the Diplomatic Victory votes. You just have to be careful to not accidently win by culture first, which usually is no problem if you let one culture focused AI survive

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
The usual stuff you need for a domination victory: 4 slingers / archers, 3 warriors, 2 horsemen, 6 heavy chariots, 2 catapults, then upgrade and make some barbs join your forces with heathen conversion

- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
Conquered some of the enemy cities on my continent with Madekalus, so you could say there were of some use. But ordinary knights would have done the job as well.

- What was your most useful unit?
Hard to say, maybe the builder, maybe the trader.

- Was diplomacy useful? How?
Trading with AI was usefull to get some gold in the early game.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
Suzeraining City-States was vital for getting the necessary diplomatic favours. On my continent the AI Civs rather attacked the City-States instead of suzeraining them (except for Jerusalem). Luckuly all civs of the second continent focused on Kandy, which was one of the two City-States I eventually conquered (the other one being Bologna just before Dido took it).

- Did religion play a role in your game?
Yes, but rather for faith buing builders / settlers / traders in my first two golden ages and faith buying buildings with Jesuit Education in the late game. Converted enemy cities during war for Era Score. In the late game I converted all of my conquered cities out of pure boredom. Faith bought some units as well, but gold would have been sufficient here.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Diplomatic VC?
1. Settle next to 2 desert tiles for early faith -> Goddess of the Harvest Pantheon
2. Survive barbs and AI neighbour attacks
3. Focus on golden Classical Age (for faith buying builders / settlers with Monumentality)
4. Suzerain as many City-States as possible and wipe the AI from my home continent to keep them
5. Discover the remaining AI civs, befriend the most culture focused one and get rid of the rest for less competition when it comes to the Diplomatic Victory votes
6. Build Lady Liberty and focus on fast progress in both Tech and Civis tree for additional Diplomatic Victory points
7. Hope for a natural disaster emergency (did not happen, alas) to finish the game one age earlier then necessary
8. Have the patience to finish the game with a diplomatic victory

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
The third one (it's Renessaince I think) was normal, because I forgot to buy some apostles in time to convert enemy cities while being at war, all other ages were golden

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
Lost 2-3 cities during war due to loyalty, but easily took them back

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Was quite early attacked by both Dido and Cleopatra, but was prepared for at least one attack, so in the end not a big problem.

- How do you think Diplomatic VC is implemented?
It's a nightmare! 5 victory points should be enough to win the game and diplomatic favours should rather be earned by befriending other Civs instead of suzeraining city states. If it stays like this, I guess I won't go for Diplomatic Victory again.

- Did you enjoy the game?
To be honest: only the first ~150 turns were fun, the rest of the game was rather dull. But the setup was really great, well chosen!

Fun fact: despite having a flat earther Agenda, Gorgo still tried to reach the moon (but did not make it in time)

Attachments

• MANSA MUSA 304 1866 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
Diplo Victory T334.
2742 Score.

It was quite painful. Not only did Gandhi annoy me with his many Debaters and Missionaries (the AI is really ood at Religious Victories, if you don't expect it and react too slowly
they will overwhelm you, especially if you don't have a own religion and therefor no way to get Inquisitors).

But also my start was extremely slow... I mean look at this T97 picture... oof:
t97.png

She sniped all my archers, her chariots are so strong, still barely managed to capture Swenett, but how to hold that??

At that point I was thinking about throwing the game... somehow I did hold the city though (as usual they bring too little melee units) and kept playing.

And as you might have noticed I failed hard by placing my Commercial Hub on the single legal Petra tile in range of the capital... so all those desert hills were mostly useless :cry:

Anyway, very slow game, after stabilizing against Cleo and Dido it was all about making sure nobody will win a religious or culture victory (including myself).

I learned that if you vote <NO> for the World Athletes Games, but it passes, you will not be able to participate :shifty: (and I guess it's the same for all the other competitions).

Shaka and Gorgo were pushing tons of envoys towards Kandy, so I took the freedom to overtake them (pretty late in the game) with the policy card that gives two envoys
if the suzerain has a different government and a leveled up Amani. However Gorgo won the World Games last turn and somehow (because that actually doesn't give any envoys)
massively pushed some extra envoys (she had 39 then) to steal Kandy from me.

Unacceptable. So I left a present at her borders :smug:.

t334.png

Attachments

• MANSA MUSA 334 1913 AD WIN.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 123
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom