1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM71 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 14, 2019.

1. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T 299.. long and painful

Attached Files:

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

3. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I'm at turn 250 (1st Spaceport just finished) and haven't finished my game yet, but since the submissions are closed I'll abandon the game and post the things I remembered to be interesting about this game.

Settled in place and then 3 more cities. Then I declared on Teddy to further expand since I saw his borders right next to mine. And it made sense to me given that the map was 'Terra' and probably 'staged' (CAN vs. USA themed by the map creator)...

Turned out that those borders I saw were Tamars so I had trouble to reach Teddy and conquering him took much longer than it should have and worst: his northern cities kept flipping for hundreds of years (about 5 times each).
    Allied everyone else except Tamar which I have just eliminated now (T250). Originally I planed to also kill Gandhi; however he may consider himself lucky (even though he killed Hattusa :mischief:) as my other wars were taking so long there's just no point in conquering India because I'm about to start the Space Race.

Was Suzerain of Hattusa until it got killed, then later at least of Bologna, Babylon and Hong Kong.

Oh btw, I got one Spy to lvl 3 on Tamar; one was captured and three others died. With 25% faster spying card and 90%-84 chance of success on each task and her not having a counterspy yet (and Amani wasn't in that city either). Unbelievable :mad:.

In the most recent World Congress session the votes were about city-state bonuses for trade routes to them which I had to make sure to deny because the rejected outcome could be that the suzerain bonus (of scientific) city-states is dropped which would have been a catastrophe! And the other voting was about generating double great people points (or disabling gathering them - which I also really wanted to prevent). Won the first vote barely (that was important!). But lost the second vote (20 to 22) and of course the AI has chosen to disable great scientist generation. Okay, just turns before I had gotten Einstein (and earlier also Newton and Hypatia), but that still sucked.

Interestingly it was only 9 votes against scientists from Kupe and the other 12 rejecting votes were against other great people BUT votes for doubling great scientist points were like 15 or so. Really sucks that apparently not the most voted thing gets selected but the category that gets the most votes decides what's going to happen, even when the individual votes on that category where for a different outcome. Makes very little sense to me really.

I nearly missed a golden age
    (119 of 120 points needed) because a base +3 industrial zone did not give me era score. I am pretty sure all of these (used to) require +3 (except com.hub and harbor need +4).
    Was this changed with a recent update so the IZ now also needs +4? (
    Still managed to get the GA by trading gpt for raw gold and buying a Caravel as my first ship... not sure if that was worth it).

Never seen an AI offer that much for an alliance. Usually it's like 1 to 4 gpt. For the renewal he even paid 20 gpt :eek:.
    16gpt alliance pog.png

Aloha! Wait a second... I thought Polynesia was warmer. (He later settled a 2nd "cool" city three tiles NW of my Scout).
    Haven't seen the AIs do this in a while and especially in this game Kupe had so much fantastic land to settle but he decided not to... :crazyeye:
    Aloha.png

4. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Turn 340 SV

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    I settled 9 on the main continent and 3 in the south terra continent
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Navigation first to go find the city states, then tried to go straight to the space project, though I probably made some detours in the way. Didn't really prioritize policies, maybe should have !
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    Pretty much nothing at first since no one denounced me, so I only built for eurekas. I kept 4 alliances through most of the game, but Georgia went at war with one of my ally (Gandhi I guess, not sure) so I ended up at war with them, and because my army was weak they decided to attack me quite a bit... lost some production because of that. Took my revenge late in the game with 2 giant death robots, almost took them out entirely (would have needed 4 or 5 more turns)
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    Ice Hockey rind came out quite useful to catch up on culture. Got one mountie for age points but that's all !
    - What was your most useful unit?
    Builders !
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    No, actually had to be careful not to win a diplomatic victory
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    City states got a bit useful, mostly for greatly increasing my culture output. Competition got tough on Hong Kong and Bologna unfortunately !
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    None
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    The main issue was production, part of it my fault as I should have replanted way more forests earlier.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    I alternated between normal and golden
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    Only came into play when conquering Georgia, though I moved one terra settlement because of Maori loyalty pressure
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Except the surprise war and one wonder I wanted that got sniped (don't remember which one), not really
    - Did you enjoy your game?
    Yes, and I also think I learned a bit on production output and balancing culture and science a bit more, hope that will come handy for my next game !