1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM85 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Brian Bloxam

Brian Bloxam Chieftain

With most of us staying home these days due to COVID-19 now, any chance of increasing the GOTM to 3 a month? It will help alleviate some of the boredom.

2. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

CV 272.

Founded 11 (1 with captured settler), took 1 culturally from Sweden, captured 3 (razed 1 coastal small city) from Dido and 8 (liberated 1) from Spain. Two cities captured from Spain ended shortly in English possession. Madrid eventually went culturally to England from me as well, but somehow it rebelled again and joined me.

Quite an easy map/position to play. I anticipated trouble from Dido, but actually she stayed peaceful for quite a while, though eventually she did declare. I had walls and a good army, so I took her out. I left her two cities, but one later joined me and another one Sweden.

Then I got into a really strange war with England and Spain. English war was quite short, but I took a lot of cities from Spain, but had a lot of trouble from stopping them from joining England. I even forgot about the 'no free city' issue. At one point I think I had 4 ex-Spanish cities with about -10 loyalties, but I could keep most of them.

So I ended up with 7 Spanish cities, but they did not prove very useful, as the only parts with rivers in Spanish empire ended to England. Only got 2 Chateaus in Spain, though a few holiday villages as well. No TS, but at least Philip had built 4 wonders for me. 8 Wonders I built myself, most during a crazy mid-game building spree, though I lost several by just a few turns.

Most useful unit was Garde Imperiale, which I used mainly in Corps/Army form. Also frigates/battleships were really useful.

I was allied with Brazil most of the game and in my game actually Sweden was culturally stronger.

My tourism strategy was chateaus with wonders, though I guess TS accumulated almost half of my tourism. 33 chateaus total. I forgot their output without adjacent wonders is mediocre.

Most useful CS got also taken in my game, so not much help from there.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  3. HildeboltvonBerenreuthe

HildeboltvonBerenreuthe Chieftain

Just my second Civ VI cultural victory (first on Deity), so learned a lot!
    CV Turn 237, Score 1,243
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1127).png

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    I captured one city from Phoenecia, acquired 2 from culture-flipping English cities, and settled 13 (8 on the mainland, 5 on islands for seaside resorts).

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Castles in the mid-game for spies and walls, after which I headed for flight and computers. In terms of policies, I predominantly ran the appropriate wonder card for each era and Tourism/culture boosters in the late game. Ran a lot of faith-boosters during my Renaissance Golden Age for monumentality boost.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    Small army of warriors and archers to take a Phoenecia city early on, promoted as necessary for Eurekas/Inspirations. My navy involved a couple of melee and ranged units to deal with barbarians, and later to take back Kumasi from Norway using a Protectorate War - I kind of regretted this move later on as I think it slowed down my eventual win, I had full influence over all of the other civs in the early 200s and only lacked Norway.
    Early war versus Phoenecia:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1028).png

Navy for liberation of Kumasi:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1086).png

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?

The chateaus were useful indeed, spammed them on every river I could find, even on the islands. I did not build a single Garde Imperiale, as I didn't need any Golden Age boosts.
    Monumentality Chateau spam:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1062).png

- What was your most useful unit?
    Builder, for sure.

- Was diplomacy useful? How?

Kept friendly with everyone for most of the game, aside from Norway. If I had focused more on that and ignored him taking Kumasi, I probably would have won even earlier. Lessons learned for next time.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

Very much so. Babylon kept my science sky-rocketing throughout the game, La Venta boosted my Holy Sites for Monumentality and allowed me to spam the tourism-providing Collosal Heads, La Venta allowed me to put my faith to good use outside of Monumenality for necessary City Center infrastructure/Religion-fuelled campus and theater square building purchases and Kumasi helped boost my culture immensely in the late game. Norway took Kumasi twice and Phoenecia declared war on Hattussa, but otherwise I was suzerain with all of the non-industrial and military civs for the majority of the game.
    Colossal Heads:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1073).png

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?

I initially fancied a religious/relic play, but that went out of the pan early on when I declared an early war on Phoenecia. After that I focused on wonders (Pyramids, Petra, Bolshoi Theatre, Big Ben, Kilwa Kisiwani, Potala Palace, Great Zimbabwe and Eiffel Tower), spamming Chateaus and Colossal Heads and getting up Renaissance walls in the majority of my cities (this is where Valletta came in particularly handy!). Finally in the modern era I spammed seaside resorts on my island cities that I had settled during the Monumentality Golden Age, faith bought 6 Naturalists for National Parks, ensured trade routes and alliances with as many civs as possible and headed for the key techs/civics. Got the victory time down at the end using Rock Bands, boosted by winning Sweden's Nobel Literature Prize.
    Obligatory Eiffel Tower:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1116).png

My ranger defending our very first National Park from filthy barbarians:
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1082).png

Paradise Island (Nantes):
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (1099).png

- How many cities did you take with military?

Took and kept Kty from Phoenecia, and liberated Kumasi from Norway.

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?

Zero dark ages and just fell short of a medieval era Golden Age, which would probably also have helped. I prioritized a Golden Age for the Renaissance Era after setting up Holy Sites in all of my river-adjacent cities, before using the Monumentality boost to spam workers for Chateaus and Colossal Heads and settlers for the Seaside-Resort islands.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?

Only struggled with it myself early on when taking Kty, but was soon able to sort that out. In terms of the opposition, we culture-flipped two cities from England who were bizarrely aggressive in their forward settling.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Not really, it was a fairly relaxed game after the early war.

- Did you enjoy your game?

I really enjoyed it. I've seen some complaints about the map, but I really enjoyed the variety. There were enough rivers for chateaus, plenty of mountains for Ski Resorts and high-appeal islands to settle for Seaside Resorts. I probably could have got the time down or the score higher, but I was happy to just get a victory on Deity, and when it comes to Cultural victories, I kind of enjoy the aesthetic element of the game, too. This map was perfect for that. Thanks again for setting this up :goodjob:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    leif erikson and Fluphen Azine like this.
  4. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

T205 CV
    Spoiler :

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? Settled 13, captured 0, flipped 1
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Astrology, cartography, flight, computers. Theology, theocracy, conservation, environmentalism
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? 3 slingers, 3 warriors to be upgraded for eurekas, 1 horsemen and 1 chariot for city-state quests,
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? didn't research military science
    - What was your most useful unit? builder. once i realized colossal heads gave tourism, i started spamming them
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? lots of deals, lots of gold.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? yerevan turned my apostles into monsters early on. after that mexico city was helpful so i could power all of my broadcast centers
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? kind of mix of great works, national parks, wonders, and colossal heads. not ideal for efficiency but got the job done.
    - How many cities did you take with military? zero. i thought a DOWing phillip when he attacked Babylon late game, but i decided it wasn't worth it.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? normal, normal, golden, golden
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? n/a
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? ran out of chops for wonders. that's when i started spamming colossal heads and national parks.
    - Did you enjoy your game? yes! loved mixing it up with a deity CV.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

CV t301 score 1974
    Basically went military early because its the only way I survive deity level. Dido was wiped out, and then I started investing in culture by theatre districts. Quickly realize that Sweden would be the main problem for culture, so started a long-range plan to wipe them out too... which was started with cannons upgraded from crossbows with 5 or 6 promotions. Didn't really get momentum until air superiority. My goal in deity level is 1) just win by the designated vc, and 2) try to beat 300 turns. I won on the ibt from t300 to t301, so I'm ok with it but not really pleased. I think I really need to be more military aggressive focused until all opponents are subdued.

One unusual thing for me at this level was that after the first age was a dark age, the rest of the game was in Heroic/Golden Age, so loyalty wasn't the problem it often is at high levels.
    Thanks for a fun game!

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  6. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

CV T220, score 2126
    (just checked my HOF, it says 218 turns, go figure...)

32 total cities, 11 settled, 2 flipped, others captured.

First military, as I went for a lot of conquest, then tourism enhancers.

Horsemen, archers, then chariots into Knights etc., quite a few quadriremes into frigates.

Built one Guarde corps for the flavour. It even saw some action.
    And I put quite a few Chateaus. The best one was next to 3 wonders for 8 culture.

Horseman, but later Archeologist, I guess.

I traded luxes whenever I could, also made Suleiman into a permanent economic ally.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Yep, I ended up Suzerain of all of them. This let me to discover the Raj policy card :)
    Phillip took out my vassal Babylon. After a while I could propose an Emergency and it passed, just in time for my troops returning from ex-Brazil. Soon Babylon was free again.

No particular strategy, brute cultural force. I took out Dido to have some space, because she was forward settling me, took out Kristina to reduce cultural competition, and took out Pedro out of inertia and also to lower the victory threshold. Eleonore wasn't menacing in any way, so I left her alone, she even lost two cities to me via culture flips.
    I've built 5 national parks, probably a personal record in one game for me - never before I had such luck. A ton of wonders and ski resorts. Plenty of books and artifacts. Policy cards and open borders with trade routes. A few rockbands.

I defeated three military emergency proposals to free Dido's cities, but the forth one to liberate Kristina's city passed, with Harald's help. I lost a couple of good frigates while repealing his invasion attempt.

Classical normal, all Golden as of Medieval. Medieval Golden was work of precision 45/45, then no particular strategy was necessary, as every next golden age was earned with ever increasing overshoot.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    When you're in Golden, conquest goes with nearly no problems.

It was really surprising, how easy I could maintain absolute science and military lead, it did not feel Deity at all, more like an Emperor game.

Yes, this map was one of the most enjoyable, thank you very much! I had plenty of action, even railroads turned out useful.

CV tab:
    Spoiler :

Heartlands and the best Chateau in the centre :)
    Spoiler :

And a funny WC voting:
    Spoiler :

C'mon, guys, you don't like my perfumes or what? Even the so called ally, eh? So rude...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  7. Matty B

Matty B Chieftain

Turn 370 Religious Victory (I didn't read the conditions closely and never checked again until I finished the game!) Score 2175

I guess I did just about everything wrong since I played for the wrong conditions and took forever to get there but it's my first win at Deity and it was fun. Thanks for posting these.

Attached Files:

8. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

CV T397/398 This is my first Deity win.Score 2269
    How many cities did you settle, or capture? Settled 12 captured around 30
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Euraka's until I caught up then went for culture boosting stuff.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Two each of tank armies,infantry armies, missile boat armadas,one helo army, one destroyer armada,six jet bombers which did the heavy lifting, a Giant Death Robot and other assorted odds and ends.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? No just got the era score from it.
    - What was your most useful unit? The jet bombers
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? I allied Spain and Brazil for most of the game and they were fairly strong.Phil helped me boot Dido off the main continent.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? I was only able to hang onto two of them.They did provide me with some protectorate wars which was nice.At the end I had Hattusa and Lisbon.Cardiff was the only other one left.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? Lots of theater squares and rock bands.The conquest of Sweden put me over the top.
    - How many cities did you take with military? About 30
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I was trying for the monumentality goldens and managed to get one.After which I hit my only dark.After the dark I hit a heroic.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Not much. Just tossed governors at the problem cities.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? The lack of AI air units.I wrecked Sweden and nabbed a few cities from England.I also won every war I was in.
    - Did you enjoy your game? Yep.I'm happy I stayed competitive and pulled out the win.

Attached Files:

kcd_swede and leif erikson like this.
  9. arthur486

arthur486 Warlord

CV @ T165 (my fastest Deity culture win... yay!)
    I missed meeting the required 3 city stated for Poli Phil. early on, and met La Venta only much later (did not take the winding mountain path). However, once I met them I knew what had to be done:
    • Played a completely peaceful game, befriended everyone and DoF-ed everyone to avoid surprises. There was a bit of military posturing with Dido early on, but when she signed the DoF I knew it was a home run. Only built 2 warrior & 2 galleys, managed not to lose a single unit... yay!
    • Once La Venta was met, I beelined Flight, building Campuses, followed by Theater Squares in every city. Founded 20+ cities in total, most of which were on hills - go figure. Had 2xCH and a few Harbours for bonuses and to ensure I could build enough trade routes to reach everyone (+25% bonus).
    • Built the Pyramids (T104!) and the Great Library (~T120) in the city where Pingala the Curator was stationed. They were both placed to enhance multiple Chateaux.
    • Did many, many, many trades with the AI to help me grow, had 0 Tourism T100 and 900+ T160 :mischief:
    • Playing as Catherine was very nice - I always knew who was up to what, for the first time had a master spy who siphoned funds several times; more importantly, he removed 3 Phoenician envoys from La Venta in a crucial moment and allowed me to take and keep suz status.
    • Victory was delayed ~5 turns by Pedro, who had a cultural infusion granting him a couple of domestic tourists which had to be overcome. He was by far the strongest opposition culture-wise.
    • I still like culture victories, and think the fastest way is Flight + Colossal Head/Moai + Computers + open borders and trade with everyone. Also loved to play a peaceful, diplomatic game.
    Thank you 6otM team for another interesting game!

Attached Files:

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

T366 Culture Victory

I did not make that easy for myself. Not enough Wonders, or enough early Theatre Squares, so it was a race against time to catch up with Sweden and then a long slog to the finish line. Culture victories and their opaque tourist counts are really frustrating for tracking how long your win will actually take :lol:

I had decided not to betray my ally Kristina, who was my biggest rival - not that I could take her cities anyway!

10 built, 6 capture from Phoenicia

Towards the end I was beelining the key culure techs and civics: Computers, Environmentalism, etc

A few ships to protect the coast from Phoenicia and a small army to take over Phoenicia on land.

Taking Tyre caused an emergency which led to a Napoleonic global conflict with Spain and Norway piling in against me and Kristina. My Gardes Imperiales were useful both conquering Phoenician terriory and defending my own lands from amphibious assaults by Spanish Conquistadors and Cuirassiers.

Lots of chateaux, obviously!

Rock Bands were the only way I could boost my tourism to match the wonder-builders Kristina and Philip.

I managed to align myself with Kristina early on for lifelong allies. The favour points let me score key policies: culture bomb districts, boosts for works of great music. World Congress also went against me with a big emergency declaration when I conquered the Phoenician capital.

Not really.

Basically, I was too slow taking Phoenicia and was disadvantaged in terms of tech too long to make military attacks to steal many wonders. I had to pivot late game to building as many Wonders, Theatres, National Parks and Stadiums/Aquatics Centres (which benefit from the World Games victory). Then Rock Bands all day to carry me to victory... not easy when I hadn't invested in much Faith production!

6 of Phoenicia's, and not til Napoleonic times.

Chained late Golden Ages for Wish You Were Here helped me win, but I actually dropped into a Dark Age at the very end.

Not much, I managed to settle quite a bit by blocking Phoenicia's settler, then remained reasonably peaceful to everyone who wasn't Dido.

The big surprise was the mid-game Emergency. Very fun to deal with, and the AI actually used navies and landed some armies. I still fought them off, but it made an otherwise easy conquest more tricky.

Yes! And I think I understand culture victories better now. Took a long time, but was a nice challenge to claw my way back up the tourism charts.

Spoiler The French Empire in 1945 AD :

Spoiler Who else to lead us to victory? :

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  11. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T277

Attached Files:

12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

13. 3nasty

3nasty Chieftain

Hi @DanQuayle I was looking for some cultural games here, I've found Pericles and this thread with France.
    I'm impressed with your 150 peaceful victory and started analysing your save file to find out how you did that exactly.
    My first step is to get Religion and in parallel be ready for wonders spam till ~80 turn like you did(also golden age and 3-4 cities).
    From historic moments I saw that your first holy site was created on turn 40 and on turn 52 you've found religion, you said that you had to rush 4 holy prayers, so in 12 turns I guess you had to chop 1/2 of them? After that you built a lots of wonders from turn 60 to 75 in one city, I'm wondering how many of them you've chopped and what was your population and yields in Paris. When did you build monuments? I'll be grateful for your help in answering these questions.

14. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

On that specific map, the right play would have been to go early Flight like @hitretz did, because
    1. There are no cultural city-states
    2. There are 2 good scientific city-states (well Babylon at least)
    3. Château France UI
    4. Colossal head La Venta UI
    5. AIs with potential to snowball culturally

Also, if you playing with the latest patches, an AI usually gets Choral Music first which reduces the value of early tourism like relics (early The Enlightenment).

To answer your specific questions,
    If I remember right I think I chopped 2 holy prayers.
    I probably chopped all of the wonders to some extent by buying tiles with woods on them. I don't remember the exact yields/population in Paris, but the starting location looked above average in general.
    I usually go monument first in cities or district first if I can rush buy the monument with gold.
    The gold to buy tiles or monuments comes from selling luxuries, strategic resources and diplomatic favor.

15. 3nasty

3nasty Chieftain

Thanks for quick answer!
    I've focused on relics because I've never done this strategy for culture victory and never tried so many wonders so early. I will probably try both strategies on this map anyway.