(8-16b) 4UC France Alternative + Salon Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokath

Emperor
On the France proposal of

This is an augmented form of

So first the SPAD should require Oil. Very much agree.
Current:
available at Flight
800 :c5production: Production Cost
no :c5war:Unit Supply

Does not Require Oil
46 (+1) :c5rangedstrength: RCS, 6 :c5rangedstrength: attack range, 7 Intercept Range
"Air Logistics"
(can attack twice per turn)

Then the Salon.
There's two small issues here for me.
1) It is a Museum at Architecture, two tiers earlier. Its text says it allows you to build Archaeologists.
1720747247933.png

A player might think this means they can build Archaeologists after they have a Salon, but Archaeologists are still Tech unlocked in the same place.
(Obviously you can't change the Archaeologist unlock, or France could beeline Architecture and gobble up all the Artifacts. This would not be fun to play again.)
The Gallery is already a culture building on Architecture. So I think it makes a lot more sense just to replace the Gallery (a building that didn't exist when 4UC was made).

2) It used to have interesting effects for its different themings that made the building quite fun. The new, proposed version is more passive, merely rewarding you for theming in the City. Since this is a Museum replacement, it doesn't actually change the number of possible themings either.
For interest, here is the text and then the list of themings. They all grant 6 Culture/Tourism (plus the building's bonus yields for being themed, which is also larger than Museum by 1) which is comparable to the Museum's 5 or 6.
(At some point I am going to go through all the Culture buildings and actually list the theming bonuses in their Strategy text because it's a bit weird you can't otherwise find it.)
Spoiler :

UB - Salon (replaces Museum):
available at Architecture
650 :c5production: Production Cost

4 :c5gold: Gold Maintenance
+3:c5science:Science, +3 :c5culture:Culture, and +3:tourism:Tourism

+1 :c5culture: Culture and :tourism:Tourism for every 4 :c5citizen: Citizens in the City
:greatwork:Great Works gain +1:tourism:Tourism
-1 :c5unhappy: unhappiness from Boredom
+5:c5culture: when themed
+3:c5science:Science and +10%:c5greatperson:Great Person Generation for each active Theming Bonus in the City.

INSERT INTO Building_ThemingBonuses
(BuildingType, Description, Bonus, SameEra, UniqueEras, MustBeArt, MustBeArtifact, MustBeEqualArtArtifact, RequiresOwner, RequiresAnyButOwner, AIPriority)
VALUES ('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_1', 6, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 2),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_2', 6, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_3', 6, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_4', 6, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_5', 6, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_6', 6, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_7', 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_8', 6, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_9', 6, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 2);

To address these points I would suggest the following.
(note the Gallery base requires some changes: cost was off by 50 and Gallery seems to have no maintenance -- as well as Opera and Amphitheatre)
UB - Salon (replaces Gallery):
available at Architecture
600 :c5production: Production Cost

0 :c5gold: Gold Maintenance
+3 :c5science:Science, +5 (from +2) :c5culture:Culture, and +3:tourism:Tourism
:greatwork:Great Works gain +1:tourism:Tourism
+33% Great Artist Rate
+3:c5science:Science and +10%:c5greatperson:Great Person Generation for each active Theming Bonus in the City.

2 slots for Art/Artifact
+5 :c5culture: when themed

The following possible themes (all Must be Art)
+2/+2 for both French
+4/+4 for same Era and French
+4/+4 for both same Foreign Civ
+8/+8 for both same Foreign Civ and same Era

So this way you have +1 Theme in the City possible. This part is a buff, but it's not trivial to fill since just 2 piece of random Art don't get you anything. However you can put in some work to beef-up the bonus with trading and micromanaging your Artist births. These first three bonuses are smaller than before as we're no longer using up Museum slots (and +6/+6 with 9 different ways of getting it was pretty bonkers on top of the other bonuses). However, the biggest bonus is larger than before, but difficult to trade for. However there is a way to get hold of someone else's matching artwork... :c5war:

Overall though I think this should be a nerf to France. The population scaling benefits of the Museum are also pushed back, and before you could build a Salon and a Galley on the same tech, which was another +1 Tourism to Great Works.

Last edited:
Museum slots (and +6/+6 with 9 different ways of getting it was pretty bonkers on top of the other bonuses)
The base museum has 12 different themes and gives +5/5. It is not ‘bonkers’ for a unique one to have 9 themes and 6/6

The current salon has themes for both art and artifact because that more accurately portrays the history of Salons. One of the themes for instance is called Cabinet des curiosites. @Hinin can chime in here. For my part I think the current design as an early museum is far more true to the history.

Last edited:
The base museum has 12 different themes and gives +5/5. It is not ‘bonkers’ for a unique one to have 9 themes and 6/6
You've slightly misunderstood. With respect to the Museum it is fine. With respect to an improved Gallery it is over the top.

One of the themes for instance is called Cabinet des curiosites.
I've seen such cabinets in museums of many countries, I'm not convinced they are distinctly French.

I've seen such cabinets in museums of many countries, I'm not convinced they are distinctly French.
It is only one of the options amongst many. One theme is about naval history, the other about economics etc.

INSERT INTO Building_ThemingBonuses
(BuildingType, Description, Bonus, SameEra, UniqueEras, MustBeArt, MustBeArtifact, MustBeEqualArtArtifact, RequiresOwner, RequiresAnyButOwner, AIPriority)
VALUES ('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_1', 6, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 2),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_2', 6, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_3', 6, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_4', 6, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_5', 6, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_6', 6, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_7', 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_8', 6, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1),
('BUILDING_FRANCE_SALON', 'TXT_KEY_THEMING_BONUS_FRANCE_SALON_9', 6, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 2);
Oh right btw, I've changed how theming text works in general (no more hardcodes), so you should change these text keys too @pineappledan or it'll look wrong.

I've seen such cabinets in museums of many countries, I'm not convinced they are distinctly French
I never said it was. I said it was 1 of 9 different flavourful and appropriate presentations that could be at an IRL Salon that justify the existence of an artifact theme and this the Salon’s replacement of the base museum, rather than a Gallery with no interaction with artifacts.
If we could revert to the version where these were more than just flavour text I would be in favour. But the implementation will be more laborious.
I removed that out of consideration for sponsors, because it was a high-complexity bonus for a relatively small reward. It’s unfortunate to see these considerations used as justification for the themes’ outright removal. If I put them back you could easily argue that the base proposal has overcomplicated bonuses that fail to justify the resources and time needed to implement.

A player might think this means they can build Archaeologists after they have a Salon, but Archaeologists are still Tech unlocked in the same place.
I agree with @cedrubas that this is simply a text change to “once archaeology is discovered”. This is and is not sufficient justification for such a large rework. Too much baby is being lost here for too little bath water.

Last edited:
I just want to clarify for people who are reading this and might be confused: the 9 different themes have flavor text on the culture screen.
They are as follows
Spoiler :

1720883164012.png

and used to have a gameplay effect, but in the proposal they do not.

It’s unfortunate to see these considerations used as justification for the themes’ outright removal.
Obviously we feel differently but, to me, the gameplay is orders of magnitude more important than the culture screen's flavor text.

Oh right btw, I've changed how theming text works in general (no more hardcodes), so you should change these text keys too @pineappledan or it'll look wrong.
What did you do?

What did you do?
Ah, so the theming text doesn't take in any parameter at all. No need to change anything then.

Though, is it necessary that the building has themes at all? Is it not good enough to be a Gallery replacement that only has one slot, but has better yields and the bonus from themes in city?

I agree with Azum. If the building's bonuses aren't meaningfully interacting or leveraging the theme bonus then I don't know why you are adding one. Just make it a gallery that boosts the themes of other buildings in the city.

Don't get me wrong, it's better with the theme.
Art is only theme-able by wonders until Museum, so that's big flexibility especially for a war monger.

I just mean to say, in response to Azum, that the yield from themes effect is already unique enough that it could justify the Gallery on its own.

Timestamp post to arrange all the threads in a neat order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom