80 Bucks!!!

Wodan said:
The fact that it costs so much for a product that didn't have nearly the same design costs illustrates the point that by far most of the $ we pay for ANY product goes to the distribution of it. We shouldn't blame Firaxis for the economics of marketing in our society.

Whether we're here to feed the X producers or not, that's what we have to do if we want to enjoy a product.

Why not go down to your local software store and get mad at them? They're the ones getting fully 50% of your money. Those money hungry bastages. Having the gall to run a store to sell me cool games, and actually charge me for it. :rolleyes:

Wodan

Not true. The entire Serious Sam game costed only $20. If they can make a profit selling a whole game for $20, they can certainly make a profit selling an expansion for less than that.

Dida said:
Not true. The entire Serious Sam game costed only $20. If they can make a profit selling a whole game for $20, they can certainly make a profit selling an expansion for less than that.

Yeah, but didnt they use an alternative way of buying the game? Downloading it online or something from their site? If they did that would eliminate alot of the middlemen. The biggest ones for sure, like the Store and distributers.

Grey Fox said:
and wow, people buy pizzas for 30$ ?!
Sure, about $20, plus taxes, drinks, and tip. You can get a piece of cardboard with sauce and cheese on it for $8-9.

Never had a pizza from Sweden. Closest I've gotten was Belgium, though, didn't have Belgian pizza either. ;) Don't you have a lot of taxes in Sweden?

Wodan

12% on food, 25% on stuff (or effectively 20% of the price). And 33-51% income tax. And alot of other taxes. Gasoline tax I think is 100% (like all of it goes to environmental causes), the same with Alcohol (most of it goes alcohol related nation costs) and Cigarettes (same here, people dying slowly in hospital costs money).
6% on culture. Books, movies, movie tickets etc.

But there are also ways for corporations to freeze money, etc. Reducing the effecient tax. And students get 1/3rd of the max amount they can take as a student loan free. (the loan isnt what it used to be, interest is much higher, and u are expected to pay back earlier)

Students and such with an income of less then, I think it is 16900 SEK (2 331 USD), during a year, gets to pay 0% tax.

About 42% of the entire Tax that is collected goes to Social Support (wellfare, etc I guess)

Zebra 9 said:
I just bought Warlords & I noticed on the cover that it sayes that you must have the Vanilla version to play. I payed $50 (USD) for the Vanilla & $30 (USD) for Warlords. If I didn't have the Vanilla I would have had to $80 for Warlords. I was wondering if that is only the one I got!:eek:

I thought I should post this just incase someone was thinking of waiting to buy Warlords & skip Vanilla.

I remember learning this Christmas 1998 with Age of Empires: Rise of Rome. Ahh, the memories.

Yikes, Grey Fox. That's a pretty hefty list. I had read somewhere that you had a lot of taxes. I guess you get the benefit of hefty social programs from the government, though.

Wodan

Wodan said:
Yikes, Grey Fox. That's a pretty hefty list. I had read somewhere that you had a lot of taxes. I guess you get the benefit of hefty social programs from the government, though.

Well, yeah I myself is living on welfare. Which is about 450$~ a month for me +rent (which cost about 250$ a month).

450$ might sound like its not that much, and its not, but its better then nothing, and you can live on it. (Hard to compare money when you dont know how much it is in releation to general costs in the country).

But for example, a 1.5L of milk costs about 1$. A 1kg bread 2$~, a Pizza 7$, 2L of Coca Cola 2-3$, 70 Cl Vodka 30$~ (I think, was a while since I bought taxated alcohol :p), 1Kg of minced meat 4$, etc.

sry for being of topic...

jac0001 said:
Well warlords is an expansion not a stand alone game, hence you need civ4 to start with..

Why would you want to play warlords if you aren't a fan of civ4?

But i am sure in a few months they will bundle the warlords and civ4 into one package.

ya your right like the last bundle bfore civ IV it has a silver cover i don't know if i should wait for the bundle or not

The fact that it costs so much for a product that didn't have nearly the same design costs illustrates the point that by far most of the $ we pay for ANY product goes to the distribution of it. We shouldn't blame Firaxis for the economics of marketing in our society.

You mean that even if they get 0$ for a sold product, the fixed cost are already high ? And so you can't make less than 30 ? I'm not sure of that.

Whether we're here to feed the X producers or not, that's what we have to do if we want to enjoy a product.

We can't get this point of view indefinitely, as consumers, you see if the product we buy worth what we get with it.
Warlords should cost 3x less than the stand alone AT LEAST!
But here it doesn't cost at least 2x less, so we can only be revolted.

Why not go down to your local software store and get mad at them? They're the ones getting fully 50% of your money. Those money hungry bastages. Having the gall to run a store to sell me cool games, and actually charge me for it.

Yes but when you compare the price of both, there is something illogical.

Actually, to me, the Base game should be about rewriting history, not predicting/writing the future.

Both are interesting, ok for the history, but there is already past done in the game, but not future, so before looking for a better past, do a future before...

But that doesnt stop me from doing a mod about the future like my interstellar colonization. (click the link in my signature )

Future should be in the official version too.

Ok, say that each civ added is worth 1 Dollar. The four new leaders for existing civs also 1 dollar each. That makes 10 dollar. Then a dollar for each of the new buildings and units, that is 4 dollar. Then a dime for every UB, makes 2,40 dollar. The vassal state optien is worth 2, 50 dollar? Every scenario 1,50? The warlords-addition 2,50? All the other little things together 2,50? Well, that's about 35 dollar. So the 30 Dollar/25 Euro/20 Pounds isn't that much, IMHO.

This is not a way of reasonment...
And even, if you see the number of things in the stand alone that you get only for 50$, each element is for 0.3 dollars...
The thing is shocking is the cost comparison .. and even, 30$ for some new things, if you compare with other products, is worthless.

In the stand alone version the starting screen is one of the most beautiful ever seen... Do you probably know a method how to change the screen back to the one of stand alone version I miss it so much

But it is even harder to play the "old" version, now Warlords rules!

You mean that there is a new starting screen in Warlords and this one is ugly?

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for."

Sound familiar?

This is untrue, because you are maybe obliged to pay it, even if you would prefer to pay less.

Wodan said:
Sure, about $20, plus taxes, drinks, and tip. You can get a piece of cardboard with sauce and cheese on it for $8-9.

Never had a pizza from Sweden. Closest I've gotten was Belgium, though, didn't have Belgian pizza either. ;) Don't you have a lot of taxes in Sweden?

Wodan

What? a Pizza priced over 5,x$? ...and taxes in plural? Tip? ...for a pizza?

if the delivery is for free its abouet 5-7 euros....
where do you buy your pizzas and dont you have nothing to drink at home???

There's a difference between going to a good Italian restaurant to eat an excellent pizza and have some drinks, and just buying some microwave pizza and get a beer from the fridge. They're both pizza, but the quality and prices differ.

Now, about Warlords... ;)

Gozert said:
There's a difference between going to a good Italian restaurant to eat an excellent pizza and have some drinks, and just buying some microwave pizza and get a beer from the fridge. They're both pizza, but the quality and prices differ.

Now, about Warlords... ;)

Yes, now about Warlords!
I prefer the following: 1. beer from the fridge, 2. additional beers from the fridge instead of the pizza stuff and 3. playing Civ4 Warlords!
This get you in front of the screen much earlier!:king:

Well, I'm gonna get warlords no matter what... But, the funny thing is, all the warlords stuff is completely moddable into vanilla civ :p

I thought we Canadians are already being taxed to death...just can't imagine if I live in Sweden. :eek:

Top Bottom