A 2-word solution to traffic jams?

Kyroshill

Huh?
Ctrl-A

It seems to me that the biggest problem I have with traffic jams is when several units are travelling the same path.... you can't set units for multiple moves or jams occur...

Many, many times I could have cleared these jams by having the pre-ordered moves done at the start of my turn instead of having to wait until the end...

cIV had a hotkey combo Ctrl-A... hit these keys and all of your automated and pre-ordered actions take place....

If I could just do that, I wouldn't have to mve each unit individually...

Of course some will still need my attention, but not all...

How hard would it be to put this back in, thru mods or whatever? Any ideas?

Ctrl-A

It seems to me that the biggest problem I have with traffic jams is when several units are travelling the same path.... you can't set units for multiple moves or jams occur...

Many, many times I could have cleared these jams by having the pre-ordered moves done at the start of my turn instead of having to wait until the end...

cIV had a hotkey combo Ctrl-A... hit these keys and all of your automated and pre-ordered actions take place....

If I could just do that, I wouldn't have to mve each unit individually...

Of course some will still need my attention, but not all...

How hard would it be to put this back in, thru mods or whatever? Any ideas?

Oh, man, I'd drop $5 right now to get Ctrl-A, it would make life so much easier...

This, together with the ability to click on units that already have move orders and see those orders displayed, are basic requirements of the interface for a game like Civ 5.

This, together with the ability to click on units that already have move orders and see those orders displayed, are basic requirements of the interface for a game like Civ 5.

Agreed. Of course, so is pinging, placing notes on the map, having AIs that know how to play...

oops.

don't forget about giving workers multiple commands in a row...

and yeah, seeing what the multiple commands are for a unit is helpful information...

My big gripe re: automated units is that they move during the turn, and not when you've clicked "next turn." Meaning that you can have a unit automated to do XYZ task, but you have to cancel that action BEFORE the next turn. This is a huge pain in the ass and a real "how'd you miss this, guys?" element of the UI.

So, for example:

You automate a scout to explore.

Turn 1 -- scout moves into unexplored territory. Scout reveals a tile containing a weakened barbarian. Bonus! Free XP!!

Turn 2 -- you move other units that aren't automated. Suddenly your scout activates under the control of the BRILLIANT AI, which, rather than boost its XP on an easy kill, decides that there's a really cool looking river over yonder that'd be much better to explore. Meaning, if you want the scout to not be automated, you either have to do that RIGHT at the start of your turn (so the scout's actions don't accidentally queue up) or you have to

Here's how it ought to go:

Turn 1 -- scout moves into unexplored territory. Scout reveals a tile containing a weakened barbarian. Bonus! Free XP!!

Turn 2 -- you move all your other units, survey the board, then remember you need to get that Scout its XP. You activate the scout, kill the barb, get the XP. Then you click Next Turn.

Wow. Am I the only one that likes the Civ 5 of dealing with automated units? One of my annoyances with Civ 4 was that automated units would moves at random moments during the turn. I might want to do something with a particular unit, but can't because it moves before I get around to doing it.

I know in Civ 5 that no automated units will execute their orders until I hit next turn. This gives me the opportunity (before I hit next turn) to change their orders, while knowing what all the non-automated unit orders are done for the turn. Love it.

My big gripe re: automated units is that they move during the turn, and not when you've clicked "next turn." Meaning that you can have a unit automated to do XYZ task, but you have to cancel that action BEFORE the next turn. This is a huge pain in the ass and a real "how'd you miss this, guys?" element of the UI.

So, for example:

You automate a scout to explore.

Turn 2 -- you move other units that aren't automated. Suddenly your scout activates under the control of the BRILLIANT AI, which, rather than boost its XP on an easy kill, decides that there's a really cool looking river over yonder that'd be much better to explore. Meaning, if you want the scout to not be automated, you either have to do that RIGHT at the start of your turn (so the scout's actions don't accidentally queue up) or you have to

Here's how it ought to go:

Turn 2 -- you move all your other units, survey the board, then remember you need to get that Scout its XP. You activate the scout, kill the barb, get the XP. Then you click Next Turn.

Since the scout won't automatically move until you click next turn, you can simply click on the unit and cancel it's previous order and then direct it to attack the barbaria. I've done that with many different units many times in this game.

Wow. Am I the only one that likes the Civ 5 of dealing with automated units? One of my annoyances with Civ 4 was that automated units would moves at random moments during the turn. I might want to do something with a particular unit, but can't because it moves before I get around to doing it.

I know in Civ 5 that no automated units will execute their orders until I hit next turn. This gives me the opportunity (before I hit next turn) to change their orders, while knowing what all the non-automated unit orders are done for the turn. Love it.

True.... but Ctrl-A gives you another option.... move now instead of at the end of the turn....

This was good design, but poor implementation. You should be able to see what orders the unit has before deciding whether or not to cancel them. Instead all you can see is they have orders, which is a step backwards since we could see orders in IV. Queuing orders would be good as well.

Also, why does my automated scout hang out in a city-state or beeline every group of barbarians! I guess that's another matter.

I'm pretty sure Ctrl+A got taken out because its possible that collisions that violate 1UPT can happen, and that there isn't a good way to resolve those collisions (putting the wrong unit there is really bad for the player, and not putting a unit there at all is awkward too).

I'm pretty sure Ctrl+A got taken out because its possible that collisions that violate 1UPT can happen, and that there isn't a good way to resolve those collisions (putting the wrong unit there is really bad for the player, and not putting a unit there at all is awkward too).

I fail to see how adding a hotkey changes anything... collisions already happen with automated moves

The real problem is in prioritizing which unit needs to move when and how it gets from A to B -- something that wouldn't change merely by adding a hotkey. You might be able to lessen the impact of how the AI handles automated moves currently, but the AI's pathing approach and the order in which it tells units to move won't change. You'd just be able to control when you execute the "ok, now do all that automated stuff" command. Practically speaking, it wouldn't be any different from what it is now, or at least it wouldn't be measurably different.

The CTRL-A feature would be awesome, IF the AI had better pathing instincts.

Agreed. Of course, so is pinging, placing notes on the map, having AIs that know how to play...

oops.

cIV's ai sucks more than ciV, they just could see the entire map. I still think that ciV ai should get larger vision range for their units, maybe then they would stock suicidally sending their seige/archer units to their deaths...

The real problem is in prioritizing which unit needs to move when and how it gets from A to B -- something that wouldn't change merely by adding a hotkey. You might be able to lessen the impact of how the AI handles automated moves currently, but the AI's pathing approach and the order in which it tells units to move won't change. You'd just be able to control when you execute the "ok, now do all that automated stuff" command. Practically speaking, it wouldn't be any different from what it is now, or at least it wouldn't be measurably different.

The CTRL-A feature would be awesome, IF the AI had better pathing instincts.

I already program my moves to avoid collisions... so that's never been a problem for me.... but that usually involes controlling about a third of my units manually....

But what happens is that when I have units following units.... if I have to wait until the end of the turn for the unit in front to move I can't move the follower on this turn... so I HAVE to move both manually... with Ctrl-A all my front units will move, so I can place my followers accordingly....

In short it would be a HUGE bonus for me and I'm guessing there are others who would get similar value

Top Bottom