A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by PsiCorps, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

No, first step is to unzip the file you've downloaded. Once that is done you can either drag and drop or copy it to the Mod folder of Beyond the Sword. Once you've done that boot up CivIV and then click Advanced, then Load a Mod and you should see the B5 Mod in the list of Mods. Click on that and then Load and you'll be away.

2. kentt86

kentt86 Chieftain

It keep pop up a dialog "Bug options: failed writing INI file: 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Babylon 5 V2.9\UserSettings\Autolog.ini"

May I know what does it mean and how to solve it? Thanks

3. PsiCorps

Which version of windows do you use?

4. kentt86

kentt86 Chieftain

Window 7 home premium

5. PsiCorps

I was sure that there was a post somewhere in this Mod thread that solved problems with windows 7, unfortunately I've been unable to track it down and I'm still a windows XP user. It's possible that there is some information in the Final Frontier Plus Mod thread that will help. Have a look in there and I will do the same to see if I can find anything.

6. Shalbatana

Shalbatana Chieftain

Hey Premiere Valle:
    1) love the work you've done here and thank you for pushing the B5 Universe, especially into the Civ Universe. When I finally get a new computer (my current one doesn't even play Civ III very well), I'll be sure to check it out.

2) I've noticed your ship models. I do a lot of work with B5 wars, and noticed you've made a bunch that, as far as I know have never been modeled before. I was wondering if you'd be willing to let me use some images in the B5 wars arena. (B5W is a strategy tabletop game, and there's currently a project to make an open source digital game version). I'm looking mainly for top-down versions of as many ships as possible.

Is there any way I could use your models for still images? Is there any way to open these models in something other than Civ so I can make such images? Full credit would be provided of course.

I would have contacted you privately but your personal contact link isn't working. You can contact me here or through my website, available in my contact info.

Thanks in advance, and I totally understand either way.
    Shalbatana

7. PsiCorps

Premier may still be on his honeymoon but I'm sure he will respond as soon as he can.

8. Shalbatana

Shalbatana Chieftain

Thanks for the info and quick response! I'll keep checking back. (and many congrats to him).

9. Premier Valle

Premier Valle FF: Babylon 5 Mod Team

Hello everyone!,

Unfortunately there has been no honeymoon, a nice job offer came along, but in another city, so I'm in the process of moving, honeymoon will have to wait. So regarding the mod I'm unable to do anywork on it in the mean time.

Thanks, of course, you can use the models, you can try NifSkope to open them without launching Civ.

:salute:

10. Shalbatana

Shalbatana Chieftain

Thank you kindly! I'll let you know how it comes out. And I've downloaded the mod. Now I have to get a better computer so I can get a newer Civ to play it on.

11. PsiCorps

Let us know what you think and where things can be improved or changed.

12. PsiCorps

Sorry to hear you had no Honeymoon but glad to hear you have a new job even if it does mean a hiatus for the mod.

13. CainStar

CainStar Warlord

Nevermind.

EDIT: "Problem" Solved

14. PsiCorps

I'm slowly correcting thing so there is more information in game, hope things are going well and you are enjoying the mod.

15. CainStar

CainStar Warlord

Yeah the game start was just slow, and after researching some "stuff" everything worked as it should. Thou I have to ask, is there still a problem with the "only troops can conquer planets" option, since I have that enabled and I don't think any of the AI playesr have taken any cities/palnets from other AIs even thou they are at constant state of war with each other.

16. PsiCorps

Yes, there is a problem with this in that the AI does not know how to use the ground troops to take a star system. It looks like I will be forced to change it back to the standard FF version of having the assault troops as a ship instead.

17. Chapon

Chapon Chieftain

Is it normal, that Artemis can not leave the area of my influence and go to deep space?

18. PsiCorps

Yes, all Civ's Military units are restricted to their home systems borders until the completion of the Space Exploration Tech.

19. Chapon

Chapon Chieftain

Thanks. I have one more question if I may. Is it normal that research takes so incredibely long? I started an epic game and it is really tedious sitting there, pressing next turn button for 60 or 40 turns having build sattelites just to destroy them after they are build as there is nothing else I can build. And now, after 315 turns, I have finaly gotten to build my first colony ship, yet it will take 37 turns. What am I doing wrong?

20. PsiCorps

Go into the city screen and change the planet you are building on, make the first building to construct the racial building(nutrion facility) EG Human Communities if playing the EA, as soon as you can complete the building with a 'rush' purchase. This will reduce the current research time.

Also make sure that the first research project is Advanced Computers (I'm at work so cannot verify all the information I am providing) but it's the one that enables you to build the University. As soon as this research is complete you should start rushing these buildings on all available planets.

The first stages of the game shouldn't be about getting a ship out into space it should be about building the infrastructure in your home system as quickly as possible. You have 150 turns before the raiders start arriving. Plenty of time to build up the infrastructure enough to improve research times and credit output to pay for the 'rush' builds.

This is what I have done in any speed game I have started and it works.

Try playing the Dilgar using this strategy (they start with advanced computers so you can build universities from turn 1). Once you get the hang of the 'infrastructure before exploration' aspect, by the time you have the techs to build your ships you'll also have an economy that will support a largish fleet.

Also, the raiders don't tend to bother you unless you have stationed visible ship units/satellites on your home system. The bigger the military you have in your home system the more dangerous the AI sees you, at least that's the way it seems to go whenever I play.