A beginner's guide?

If it's within your city's work radius and it doesn't occupy a strategically important position is probably best to raze it. Then again you can use the fort commander in your capital defence so I'd hold that off until you want to build another improvement on the tile.

A few more questions... Which I'm posting in the place I mean to this time :blush:.

1) Great Commanders. I got one while I was "negotiating" ("Here's the deal. We kill you, and you die.") with the Khazad, and I made him make a Command Post, as I was right in my hunch that it wouldn't use him up, then I "joined" him to Kithra, Yvain and a level 6 Chanter.

And now I ask "why?" What advantages will that bring to them? Also, the Commander has 2 xp now, but he doesn't seem to be able to take any promotions.

2) And speaking of xp, how fast are things like the Hero promotion, or training buildings? Are they affected by game speed?

The hero promotion is a flat 1xp per turn, it says so in the tooltip. Nobody (that I have asked before) really understands the training buildings, just that they're slow.

Great Commanders can take promotions, most of which give bonuses to his subordinates.

I've also been a new player. Actually, I'm doing even worse, given that I skipped FFH, and went straight to RiFE. So I don't just have to deal with the RiFE changes, but also all the fundamentals from FFH.

The thing that's tripping me up the most is not knowing what the various promotions actually DO. I can't seem to find that info anywhere. The civpedia has been good for everything else, but too often when describing something, it'll just say "Adds the XXXX promotion" without informing me what that promotion does.

flearl, currently, you just have to go check the promotion list-usually the tooltip for the promotion itself is pretty clear on what it does. It's a pain to track the spell promos that way, but it's not worth fixing now as the magic system is being redone for one of the next couple patches.

A Moon, I strongly recommend the FlatXP mod if you want all those free xp sources to make sense. With it, those will actually be a given rate, modified for gamespeed. Without it, RiFE uses a system from Fall Further where the actual free xp on any given turn is reduced the more xp you already have.

Darn it... Ninja'd

Thanks for the advice Cyrusfan.

A few more questions... Which I'm posting in the place I mean to this time :blush:.

1) Great Commanders. I got one while I was "negotiating" ("Here's the deal. We kill you, and you die.") with the Khazad, and I made him make a Command Post, as I was right in my hunch that it wouldn't use him up, then I "joined" him to Kithra, Yvain and a level 6 Chanter.

And now I ask "why?" What advantages will that bring to them? Also, the Commander has 2 xp now, but he doesn't seem to be able to take any promotions.

2) And speaking of xp, how fast are things like the Hero promotion, or training buildings? Are they affected by game speed?

1. Great Commanders are not used up by the Command Post or Recruit Spells, no, but they are only able to cast one of them, and only ever once. The benefits of a Great Commander leading your troops really depend on what you do with them; When the troops he leads fights, the Commander gains some xp. You can then use that for various promotions... You can enhance the healing rate of his troops, their strength, their movement, etc.
  2. Things like the Hero promotion are just as fast as they say on the popup (think it MAY be weighted by gamespeed, but not likely). Training buildings are more problematic, and I'm planning to change them.

I've also been a new player. Actually, I'm doing even worse, given that I skipped FFH, and went straight to RiFE. So I don't just have to deal with the RiFE changes, but also all the fundamentals from FFH.

The thing that's tripping me up the most is not knowing what the various promotions actually DO. I can't seem to find that info anywhere. The civpedia has been good for everything else, but too often when describing something, it'll just say "Adds the XXXX promotion" without informing me what that promotion does.

You should be able to click that promotion name and jump to it, for the most part. If not, you can check our wiki; It has quite a bit of info, though it's far from finished.

Altering the formulas seems like the better option, but I seem to recall there was a compelling reason not to do that when it was last under dicsussion. I don't remember what it was.

You should be able to click that promotion name and jump to it, for the most part. If not, you can check our wiki; It has quite a bit of info, though it's far from finished.

The wiki is worse for my purpose, it seems. I was actually hoping I could use the wiki to help me plan what I should go for and such, but for example, check out the page for Stoneskin. "Adds the Stoneskin promotion to the caster." Click on Stoneskin promotion? Page not found.

What this means is that I don't know what magic paths to go for until I've tried them each once. Been trying some games on easy and cheating for resources, and it's still been tedious trying everything out so that I can begin to know what is worthwhile to aim for in a real game, or what I'm giving up by trying one of the sundry races that are restricted in magic.

The wiki is worse for my purpose, it seems. I was actually hoping I could use the wiki to help me plan what I should go for and such, but for example, check out the page for Stoneskin. "Adds the Stoneskin promotion to the caster." Click on Stoneskin promotion? Page not found.

What this means is that I don't know what magic paths to go for until I've tried them each once. Been trying some games on easy and cheating for resources, and it's still been tedious trying everything out so that I can begin to know what is worthwhile to aim for in a real game, or what I'm giving up by trying one of the sundry races that are restricted in magic.

Yes, many pages still have to be added.

However... Why does the in game civilopedia not work for your purposes? If you click on the entry for the spell (in this case, Stoneskin), it shows the spell's effects and and flavor text. In the effect list it says "Adds the Stoneskin promotion to the caster". The word Stoneskin is highlighted in blue and underlined; It's a link. Click it, and it takes you to the stoneskin promotion.

Yes, many pages still have to be added.

However... Why does the in game civilopedia not work for your purposes? If you click on the entry for the spell (in this case, Stoneskin), it shows the spell's effects and and flavor text. In the effect list it says "Adds the Stoneskin promotion to the caster". The word Stoneskin is highlighted in blue and underlined; It's a link. Click it, and it takes you to the stoneskin promotion.

Actually, you know, that has always annoyed me about the civilopedia entries for spells. Is it really necessary to have two levels of clicking to find out the effect of a spell? I mean, it's not that difficult to puzzle out that the spell 'Stoneskin' probably would add an effect called 'Stoneskin'. The properties of the promotions granted by spells should just be included in the spell pedia link without necessitating a second click. Leave the actual promotion's entry as is if need be; redundancy is preferable to tedium. An identical issue to this comes from the descriptions of the various Giant Spider species promotions for the Archos. Those promotions need to explain what they do on the actual promotion bar, instead of forcing the player to head into the civilopedia to find out.

Playing through the Mechanos has been kind of hit and miss for me, so I can see where fieari is coming from. The tech tree just doesn't show everything that is unlocked by every tech (an issue that's being addressed, if I recall rightly), and what seems to make matters worse is the fact that certain unique buildings don't show up in the pop-up build menu -- one has to view the city to build them. Clock towers, for example. It's a shame that after getting in the habit of scanning the extremely well-designed and sorted pop-up menu when selecting what to build next, I have to get back out of that habit for certain civs.

As usual with my comments, if it's already slated for change, just ignore the rambling. :D

Actually, you know, that has always annoyed me about the civilopedia entries for spells. Is it really necessary to have two levels of clicking to find out the effect of a spell? I mean, it's not that difficult to puzzle out that the spell 'Stoneskin' probably would add an effect called 'Stoneskin'. The properties of the promotions granted by spells should just be included in the spell pedia link without necessitating a second click. Leave the actual promotion's entry as is if need be; redundancy is preferable to tedium. An identical issue to this comes from the descriptions of the various Giant Spider species promotions for the Archos. Those promotions need to explain what they do on the actual promotion bar, instead of forcing the player to head into the civilopedia to find out.

Playing through the Mechanos has been kind of hit and miss for me, so I can see where fieari is coming from. The tech tree just doesn't show everything that is unlocked by every tech (an issue that's being addressed, if I recall rightly), and what seems to make matters worse is the fact that certain unique buildings don't show up in the pop-up build menu -- one has to view the city to build them. Clock towers, for example. It's a shame that after getting in the habit of scanning the extremely well-designed and sorted pop-up menu when selecting what to build next, I have to get back out of that habit for certain civs.

As usual with my comments, if it's already slated for change, just ignore the rambling. :D

On the first part: I doubt that would happen. Would be quite difficult to do code-wise; Only simple way would be to add a help textkey that displays it all, and that is a LOT of text for every single spell of that nature. Not doing that for what amounts to a single extra click in the pedia.

UB/UU's are now marked out in the pedia by a star, and the popup has been fixed (happened when a building had a military flavor of at least 5, but was higher in another flavor; Now we just show it with the highest flavor, rather than try to force it with the miltary flavor).

Playing Mechanos made easy(er):

1) Spam Organ Guns
2) Spam Refined Mana
3) Steamroll
4) Profit

Problem solved.

Top Bottom