A bug to get free things.

Razorwing

Warlord
Here is what I did.

1) Pull science and luxuries back to zero, leaving me with a hefty per-turn income. I don't change turns so it doesn't affect anything.

2) Because I now have 106 gold per turn, I can offer 100 gold per turn to Persia for two nice techs.

3) Now I declare war on Persia, which I was going to do anyways.

4) I now have two free techs and I'm not paying Persia anything.

Some twelve turns later when the war is over, the deal I suckered Persia into seems to be forgotten. I was expecting to pay for the remaining eight turns -- I was hoping for the AI to have postponed the agreement altogether and I had the full twenty turns of gold to pay back -- but no, the deal was out the window.

Soren should take a look at this, and definetely add some text to explain things to the player. Perhaps my Persian adversary would exclaim: We will only sign a peace treaty if you agree to resume our broken trade agreement where we left off!

Perhaps, to make it even fairer, the amount owed should be raised to reflect interest. 100 gp isn't worth exactly as much fifteen turns later because the world's economy has very likely grown.

There is still the scenario where a player can do as I did, but instead has planned to completely annihilate his opponent, and then he will get out of the agreement at no cost. But whatcha gonna do.

Doesn't really looks like a bug to me. If you'd sell something to me, let's say a loaf of bread, and instead of paying you the full price I'd bash your head in (hypothetically speaking ;)) that's not cheating but more stealing (assault, whatever).

Presumably your friends the Persians won't be eager to deal with you any further...

Originally posted by Razorwing

We will only sign a peace treaty if you agree to resume our broken trade agreement where we left off!

Would be some nice option though. Diplomacy should always be about nifty options (and threats).

I do this occasionally in the ancient era. Unfortunately, through the middle ages, noone will sign a per/turn agreement with me. Their thoughts on the deal go from 'close' to 'insulted'. You will pay for this in the long run.

The underlying problem is that the game doesn't give any clues on many subjects which affect other civilization's attitudes towards the player. It might be true what you're saying, eyrei, but how would I know that? It could be that which písses them off, or any number of things we can only speculate if the AI acknowledges or not. Building a city which encroaches on an opposing city's sphere of influence, how angry does that make them? etc. There should be text relayed to the player in all these circumstances, might bring some soul to the game :D

Shabbaman: Presumably my incessant warfare against the poor arabs will make them even less inclined to strike up deals :D Point is though... if the game doesn't indicate that my action affects their feelings, I might as well believe it doesn't affect anything.

Well, everybody keeps asking me to exchange territory maps, and if I don't give in they start to dislike me. I was planning annihilation anyhow, so...

But why should the program tell you this? It's almost as if you can guess it...

Let's face it - in real life, consequences are not always obviously linked to causes - why should a game be different. We all know that the game is 'rule-based' and that any semblance of 'intelligence' in the AI is based on variables, algorithms and randomised factors. I really don't want the effects of my actions to be too predictable (such as when an effect lasts for x turns etc.) You can be pretty sure that dishonorable actions will cost you in the long term - you just have to factor that into your decision making.

Let's not try and think of the game in to much of a precise calculated action/reaction - we're supposed to be trying to simulate real-life aren't we?

Top Bottom