A Call to Arms: Wikia

Funak

Deity
As you may or may not know, there are a lot of changes in CPP compared to vanilla civ5. Anyways this seems to create a lot of confusion, so in his great wisdom, the Lord Gazebo has allowed us to create a wikia for the CPP.
The idea is to have information available outside of the game so people don't have to keep track of everything themselves. It could probably also be used eventually to help people learn the game better, but for starters we should probably stick to facts.

Anyways, the reason why I'm writing this is because as stated earlier there are a lot of changes in CPP compared to vanilla civ5, meaning there is a lot of text that needs to be copied onto this wikia, far more than one man can do (especially since this man is busy with other things at the moment).
To sum it all up this is a call to arms, anyone willing and able can assist, it doesn't matter if you're an elitist bastard or a scrub, there is probably something you can do to help. Don't be worried about fact-checking everything, people can and will edit what you write, just try to keep to the facts and leave the opinions at home.
Uncle Gazebo wants you!

All that aside, if you have the time please write a few things, you don't even need to fill a page, writing about one part of something is fine, help us make this something great. You're find the Wikia here.
May the great Gazebo shine upon all of you.

I don't have time for this (I'm doing the icons) but you have no idea how much I want this to happen. So many times I want to consult the stuff in the game but I can't or don't want to open the game just to see it. All the support to you guys.

So many times I want to consult the stuff in the game but I can't or don't want to open the game just to see it.

I feel you man, I've been arguing for changes that were already implemented a bunch of times :D

A good suggestion would be copying what the Civ 5 Wiki has and then editing for changes.

I'll do my best to contribute when I can. Also, if anyone feels the wiki can use videos demonstrating certain concepts, I'll happily volunteer.

Great initiative ! Thanks for setting it up, I'll gladly contribute.

Great initiative ! Thanks for setting it up, I'll gladly contribute.

Actually Bromar1 and Gazebo that set it up, I'm just advertising. It is a team-effort, but I like to give credit where credit is due.

EDIT: On topic, Great work so far everyone, it is awesome seeing so many people contributing.

I just did some work in the Civilizations section of the wikia, it's far from perfect and I would have liked to put some detailwork into it. But alas, I don't have more time today. I based the information on the ingame Civilopedia.

I just did some work in the Civilizations section of the wikia, it's far from perfect and I would have liked to put some detailwork into it. But alas, I don't have more time today. I based the information on the ingame Civilopedia.
That's great, thanks !

The wiki is slowly getting filled, so far we got Policies, Ideologies, Beliefs, Buildings, Terrain and Civilizations with their Uniques done.

Personally I think wikis are useless for this type of documentation, too restrictive in terms of what can be correctly displayed and too much wasted space on the pages. Just look at the way the units are shown on the wikia, more than 50% of width is used for useless padding and blank space under the contents box.

The Google docs are better, IMHO. Spreadsheets are good for showing the units, promotions, buildings, etc. because values can be compared easily to other similar items.

Links to and from different sheets can take you from looking at a civ to see its UU and from there to the tech needed which takes you to other tech unlocks. Yes you can link from wiki pages but it is a bit cumbersome in my experience. There's a reason Thalassicus dropped the updating of the Communitas wiki and just left all the details on Google docs, ease of maintenance.

Sorry for being the stick-in-the-mud, just voicing an opinion.

Personally I think wikis are useless for this type of documentation, too restrictive in terms of what can be correctly displayed and too much wasted space on the pages. Just look at the way the units are shown on the wikia, more than 50% of width is used for useless padding and blank space under the contents box.

The Google docs are better, IMHO. Spreadsheets are good for showing the units, promotions, buildings, etc. because values can be compared easily to other similar items.

Links to and from different sheets can take you from looking at a civ to see its UU and from there to the tech needed which takes you to other tech unlocks. Yes you can link from wiki pages but it is a bit cumbersome in my experience.
The idea behind a wikia is ease of access, and the fact that you can pretty much stick anything into it, from strategy to theories to anything and everything can be easily accessible to all the newbs that keep asking the same questions over and over again :D.

There's a reason Thalassicus dropped the updating of the Communitas wiki and just left all the details on Google docs, ease of maintenance.
Well, with that logic you could say "There's a reason Thalassicus stopped updating Communitas" and then scrap the whole project? :D

Anybody can have access to a Google document and everyone can make edits, so ease of access is not the problem I see, it is the poor format, but to each his own.

Ask yourself why people, other than the few that have, haven't jumped onto the whole CBP wikia project? Do people find it easy to access?
Not enough will invest time to learn the subtleties of wiki editing and rely on the dumbed-down UI and make a poor looking page, as it is now. No offense to those that started it.
I'm all for online documentation, my experience leads me to believe very few will take up the challenge if it involves a new experience, such as wiki editing. In my case I have a dislike of wikis and tend to steer clear of them.

But if wiki is the way forward, I'll make a few observations.

* Get copies of all the artwork used in game and upload them to an easily accessible site so every entry can have the image of the item and icons used to describe the values: gold, strength, faith, culture, etc.
* Make the existing stuff look amazing and that might inspire others to join in.
* Create all the pages now, even if they are empty. Users are more likely to edit a blank page than they are to first create and link it.

Top Bottom