A discusion on Immortal game

anyone on this thread consistently play on Emperor or Immortal? ever play? has anyone tried acidsatyr's tactics on this level?

Defining his general blueprint as:

1. Getting Worker techs and optimizing the start location.
2. Getting strategic techs and settling a second city to pick up a metal or horses.
3. Taking out a nearby neighbor before they get up and running to have a competitive amount of land.
4. Beeline to Writing (and then Alphabet), using Scientists and tech trading to keep up in research.
5. Roll with the punches and adapt to the situation.

Then, yes I've tried this on both Emperor and Immortal. IMHO it is not really needed on Emperor, there are plenty of other ways to win at that level but they do usually involve an early war. On Immortal, I've tried this approach exclusively (and only tried it at all because of reading his threads). I've had pretty mixed results (and by mixed I mean I lose most games ;)). I think the :devil: is in the details, it would be cool if CIV had a record function so I could play 100 turns from his initial start, then replay his exact moves and compare. Re-set with his 100 turns save and do another turnset comparison, etc.

I will note most of my failures are strategic, though. For example I lost a game last night where I started as Hatty, claimed 5 cities in the initial land grab using Settlers (including Horses and Ivory, but no metals) by blocking off my only nearby neighbor Cyrus and refusing to open borders with him. Monty settled up to my borders in the north, Alexander in the NW, and Louis in the west (east was coast). I knew with this start it was too late for for an early rush, but when Alexander declared on Cyrus I thought I had an opportunity to pick up some crumbs. My stack of 20 War Chariots took two marginal cities after Alexander had softened them up, and I settled a site he razed, but I couldn't make any real progress as Cyrus already had several Spears in his remaining three core cities. It was at this time that Monty at Pleased relations declared on me, and hit two cities before I could redeploy my troops effectively. I abandoned the game :(. So, I believe my strategic error was not properly understanding what the Alexander war declaration meant for me. I would have been better off just settling the one city he razed and using my War Chariots to deter Monty. Also, with Elephants I should have not gone for Alphabet but instead gone after Construction.

Darrell

I agree about the "replay function". I love rts games that have recorded games (e.g., the "age of" series). Watching expert recorded games is sooo educational. However, I still learn a lot from the pros here who post detailed analyses of their games. Nice thread this game: adaptation to the situation and leveraging your advantages to the max seems to be the order of the day in highest level games :p

Defining his general blueprint as:

1. Getting Worker techs and optimizing the start location.
2. Getting strategic techs and settling a second city to pick up a metal or horses.
3. Taking out a nearby neighbor before they get up and running to have a competitive amount of land.
4. Beeline to Writing (and then Alphabet), using Scientists and tech trading to keep up in research.
5. Roll with the punches and adapt to the situation.

Darrell

#5 about sums it all up after the initial setup..and early war. it's tough for me to prioritize with an early war. i always want to build up a granary and a library etc. to get a "solid base", but by the time i do that, it seems to late for an early war. have to work on that early rush mentality. is it always rush-rush-rush and let everything else slide during early wars? guns or butter, never a mix?

care to attempt an Immortal thread, Darrell, so we can give acidsatyr a break for finals (i can sympathize..i have a final on Dec. 12 :( ) you'd be able to leverage the collective mind..and be the center of attention. :D c'mon, everybody's doing it.

care to attempt an Immortal thread, Darrell, so we can give acidsatyr a break for finals (i can sympathize..i have a final on Dec. 12 :( ) you'd be able to leverage the collective mind..and be the center of attention. :D c'mon, everybody's doing it.

Well, there is an Immortal SG with no civics changes setup by Qwack. Up until now we've caught one major break and the situation looks promising. We're past the early elimination point and have a fairly viable core and a reasonable expansion plan. Sooooo's also got another Immortal SG based around HC getting some P-A-Y-B-A-C-K. ThERat also has an Immortal SG for all you warmongers, and finally Mutineer has setup a best ball game on Deity. Should be plenty of reading material while waiting, although they won't be as instructional in nature.

I'd apologize for jacking acidsatyr's thread, but his last post with content was in October :mischief:.

Darrell

HA!
naw guys im still playing really dont have time, wasnt home during thanksgiving, and now have to concentrate on college finals....
im pretty sure ill win, i own almost whole continent now, and honestly i dont see any motivation in continuing

doing writup and posting pictures is just .....pain.

he just lost :)

it's tough for me to prioritize with an early war. i always want to build up a granary and a library etc. to get a "solid base", but by the time i do that, it seems to late for an early war. have to work on that early rush mentality.

Im the same way. I have to "force" myself to stick to axe/swords because I just cant help myself sometimes to build library and granary.

Try playing a game where the only things you build are barracks, courthouses, units and workers. I would really like an ALC on Tokugawa just to see how effective that really is. I tried doing that on Monarch and it was a slaughter, haven't tried that approach on immortal and deity yet. Don't really need to either though: Blake's patch makes emperor enjoyable enough.

Top Bottom