A few questions about running a NES

Would appreciate comments and critique of my ruleset in progress.

Spoiler Rules WIP :

The Game

Players act as the spirit of a nation and send in “orders” which serve as guidance for the paths of their nations. Players can engage in diplomacy with each other publicly or secretly, but outcomes ultimately will be determined by the Game Master (GM). Each turn, the GM will take all the players’ orders into consideration and write about the happenings of the world for that update. Each update may consist of many years, perhaps even centuries.

It’s a game so remember to have fun and don’t take it too seriously.

Setting: Alternate Earth, same flora and fauna, same climate, just different landmasses. Nations, religions, cultures, etc could be the same as those of Earth’s, or different.

Orders Format: Each turn, players should send in orders with one major goal and two minor goals they would like to see their nation accomplish. As time progresses in the world, nations will have the powers to write more than just three goals.

Label your orders with the update number and include your most recent stat block.

Remind me of any pertinent diplomacy that took place, whether it was secret or public.

Goals: Players should make every effort to make their goals realistic, considering their nation’s economy, military, culture, religions, technologies, resources, political structures and stability, etc.

How do I achieve my goals?

Several factors can increase the odds of your nation meeting its goals for the turn.

· If the goals are plausible in terms of the circumstances of the nation and region

· Orders sent early, in clear and concise formats

· Writing and sharing articles on your nation, like about the ethnicity, mythology, culture, etc

What kind of goals should I have?

That’s up to you of course. Realistically, many players may want to conquer other peoples, secure resources, build infrastructure, improve their economy or stability, convert other peoples, advance technologically, etc.

Stats: Stats are mostly descriptive, to be used as flavor and general guidelines for a specific nation.

Stat Template Explanation:

State/Player: Name of the State and Player.

Politics: Structure, centralization, and stability of government.

Economy: Strength and main aspects of economy.

Military: Strength and style.

Culture and Religion: Includes names of cultures, demographics, religions, and links to external descriptions when players get around to it.

Stat block example:

State/Player: The People’s Republic of Examplia / justokre

Politics: Heavily centralized, shaky one-party

Economy: weak. Trades in salt and sugarcane.

Military: small militia of spearmen and bowmen.

Culture and Religion: small Buryatian community off the coast of Djibouti, mostly Sihk and Zoroastrian.

Diplomacy:

Messages to other players can be sent publically on the forum are via private messages. When messaging a NPC, send the message to the GM.

Forgetting to Send in Orders:

Depending on circumstances, forgetting to send in your orders for a turn will typically result in negative consequences such as some sort of corruption, stagnation, instability, plague, etc.

Personal Notes:

Update workload is the #1 NES killer

stats heavy systems are not really that useful as massive arbitration will happen everywhere regardless

more realistic worlds have more polities, defaulting towards fewer stats is good

Additionally, I am planning on using Reddit, and doing updates via podcast. Anyone here with podcasting knowledge?

Should I even call it a NES?

Reddit is an interesting way of sorting things chronologically, although you'll definitely need to come up with a solution for the situations which require ongoing threads. Any reason why you're doing audio format rather than written format? Or are you doing both? And I see no issue with calling it a NES.

Yo Iggy, been a while. What kind of situation would require an ongoing thread? Like a diplomatic conversation? I think having the game's own subreddit should work if posts are labeled clearly.
I'm doing both, but the written part will be more like notes.

I've been having a hard time figuring out the name. Maybe I should just go with JustokreNES III and be done with it.

I made a subreddit for JustokreNES III. It's got maps, rules, how to join etc. Please consider taking a look and joining or providing comments and critique.

Top Bottom