1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

A few questions about running a NES

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by justokre, Jun 3, 2018.

1. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

I've been pondering running an NES again.

The biggest problem I ran into was players playing. They didn't send in orders.
    What's the best way to notify them? Ask them to turn on email notifications regarding the thread?

Has anyone come up with a good way to keep stats (especially military numbers) hidden, or at least not an exact number? Instead of every play seeing that Syria has 13000 infantry and 5000 cav, maybe a number on a scale of 1-10?

Do you think players would enjoy spoken updates via podcast?

2. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

1) Engagement. Lots of reminders.

Thankfully, most of the lilly-livered ones have left. You'll only have scarred veterans (at Thlayli's hand) around here. /jk

2) I knew someone who emailed everyone stats every turn. With the new conversation tools, that might not actually be bad.

If you mean, keep the stat numbers hidden from the players, you can always go olde skool NES and use qualitatives like "Small - Medium - Large - Yuge". Or just number that are veiled - one of my planned NESes used "MP" or "Military Points". 1 EP = 1 MP. Which the players can then specify if they want quality, quantity, or capabilities from their investments.

3) Depends on the theme of the game, it could work really well. It's definitely a gimmick, and I'd probably want a transcript to review events of the update.

However, because us survivors are hardcore, we'll appreciate quality. /notjk

EDIT: Also, join #nes! It's an IRC with the server: warrensofthought.com channel: #nes. You can connect to it with mibbit or another IRC thingy.

3. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

I'd love to automate this. Updating is enough work as it is!

Definitely something to consider... I'm leaning a couple descriptive words describing relative size and quality: Large, highly disciplined.

I can understand wanting a transcript. I may just have some bulleted talking points for the recording, and release those with the audio. I feel like that may save some time or effort. And at this point, I think the NES community would be happy with any NES that actually goes anywhere. All I see is a bunch of games that didn't go anywhere.

4. Terrance888

For "transcript", a bullet note of sections and timestamps would be alright I guess.

5. ork75

ork75 Chieftain

I think what I did/am doing for ONES stats works very well: single word descriptors followed by a more detailed explanation.

6. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

Ah, I see that the stats after the update were different than the stat examples in your first posts in ONESI. I do like the combo of population, economy, and military. Does it get confusing to remember aspects of the culture or religion?

7. ork75

ork75 Chieftain

The stats in the example posts were/are what I want to work towards, but I think that the stats that I adopted actually work better. This is especially true in the case of the multiple-century updates which, so far, have dominated ONES.

Cultural details aren't hard to remember for me at least. Also, many players have large cultural compendium documents outside the thread, which I can refer to.

justokre likes this.
  8. Terrance888

Also, if things get out of hand, you can always make a wiki. Those were all the rage near the end of the last Era of NESing.

9. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

Oh yeah? Was there a preferred site/method? I feel uncomfortable unless I can download a nice neat offline version.

10. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Regarding wikis, I think it depends a lot on the playerbase- it's really useful when a NES gets huge, but if the NES is fairly young and has a single digit playercount, I'm not sure that it's critical.

Terrance888 likes this.
  11. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

That's a fair assumption. I wouldn't consider it before three updates, unless details got wayyyy out of hand.

The NES may never come to fruition, but I've attached my WIP map for those interested. Fantasy, low magic, a few other races, only humans are playable.

Attached Files:

Azale likes this.
  12. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Nice looking map, Justo.

13. justokre

justokre 咱們走著瞧啊...

Thanks. I've been redetailing it. Then I need to add the rest of the rivers, mountains, then biomes, then flesh out the races.

14. hydralisk98

hydralisk98 Chieftain

Hello there, I would like to start in NES-ish games (playing or modding, whichever), how do I?

15. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Currently the only active NES in this forum is MigrationNES. Depending on your idea you could discuss it here or in our IRC. IOT forum is another place where similar games are being hosted.

If you'd like to play, MigrationNES is open to all comers. Just pick a group in an obscure corner of the world and do something with it, preferably based on their previous history somewhat.

16. hydralisk98

hydralisk98 Chieftain

I would surely like to give MigrationNES a try.