A General discussion of Heroic Branden and Great Basil

Just wanted to chip in that I'm going to really miss the Great General from the Heroic Epic.

You might be floating in GGs, PineappleDan, but that doesn't mean everyone is. And as I've said before, the great general on the Great Wall isn't 'free' - you literally have to compete with other civs to build the wonder.

Now, I'm happy to agree the Great Wall is pretty strong. In fact, I'd very much prefer loosing a GG on the Great Wall to loosing the GG on the Heroic Epic because I almost never build the Great Wall.

Also, we already have a more arts-focused great person national wonder in the National Monument. The Heroic Epic is supposed to have a military focus, no?

I would be happy for St Basil's Cathedral to have a different religious building (like a cathedral), that makes sense. I would prefer to avoid doubling up on free buildings from wonders though. At the moment, Notre Dame grants a Cathedral as well? I wouldn't mind it not giving a free religious building, if it meant that it doesn't get built by civs that have already reformed as often.

And I would be very happy for Brandenburg Gate to get a buff of some sort. By that point in the game though I find it's much harder to place citadels without starting a war with someone over it. So the early GG's are much more valuable to me.

Last edited:
Can we consider making the Brandenburg Gate global? I have recently added the Building_DomainFreeExperiencesGlobal table, so no new code is required. :)

The newest build will add 3 new global building abilities which I think would make a splash for some wonders whose effects are stacked on top of each other right now.

Building_ResourceYieldChangesGlobal
Building_YieldChangesPerPopInEmpire
Building_DomainFreeExperiencesGlobal

Building_DomainFreeExperiencesGlobal is an obvious one for Brandenburg. It's a world wonder, so having a global effect seems a lot more fitting.

Building_ResourceYieldChangesGlobal can be used to augment any resources in empire. I can think of a few ways VP could use that for world wonders:
  • Slater Mill could give +2:c5production: to coal resources on empire. With England's Steam mill gone, there's nothing in the mod giving a similar boost
  • Corporations could use this table to boost relevant resources via their head offices. This could also give another avenue to spruce up 2Kay foods, which sucks horribly right now.
Building_YieldChangesPerPopInEmpire is a population scaler, but incorporates ALL pop in ALL cities. NICE!
  • There's 3 wonders that give free Great Scientist(s) right now (Oxford, Porcelain Tower, Hubble). 5 If you include the International Space Station WC Project and Apollo Program. What if Porcelain Tower gave a global scaler of 1:c5science: for every 6-8:c5citizen: on Empire instead of the free GScientist? It would add some more variation without being too complicated
  • There are 2 wonders that give you a free GP of your choice: Leaning Tower of Pisa and Empire State Building. What if Empire State Building gave a global 1:c5gold: per 4:c5citizen: Population on Empire?

Last edited:
Top Bottom