A Huge Deity milkrun

nice land. Not sure why you are settling the tundra, as opposed to just settling towards the germans?

Gotta get those oil reserves somehow!!!

-The AI

I am expanding in all directions and even these tundra town give me workers. But I do not build them tightly there. At least not yet.

Nice game so far Calis. Perhaps someone would tell me I shouldn't say this, but I'd rather see you do really well here than withhold information from you. I'd actually like to see you top my Deity milk-run.

I *strongly* recommend researching here. DWetzel's correct in pointing out that high luxury/high science isn't great. However, the alternative I don't think quite as good in this sort of game. If you go with slower research, for quite a while you'll have knights and trebuchets (given the resources) against pikes. Of course, you know how to do that, but it's just about normal warfare and pace. Of course, this only happens on the condition that you have the resources also.

If on the other hand you research and try to get to Military Tradition more-or-less as soon as you can, then you have cavalry and cavalry armies. If you lack iron or can't pick it up, you don't have to worry as much, since you might have saltpeter or can pick it up. I feel very sure from my own Deity game and what I recall of reading Moonsinger's and Sir Pleb's games, as well as Tone's Deity game, that getting cavalry armies *very much* picked up the pace towards getting to the domination limit. With your position here that seems even more likely the case than in my game or those other games, since you're in a corner and basically all units have quite a bit of territory to cover before they can get in on the action, and that'll last for quite a while in the game. So, there's no question in my mind... getting to Military Tradition as soon as you can will pay off whatever disadvantages it might cause temporarily many times over. Especially for a player of your experience and caliber.

Please don't believe I want a justification in asking the following question. I don't mean to question your choices in your game. But, I didn't spot all too much of a pattern in the opponents you put up there. I couldn't tell if you selected them actually since you said 'probably', but if you did, why those opponents?

Best of luck.

P. S. You didn't have an SGL for the Pyramids on your first tech. And you're playing for the HoF??!?!?!?!?!? (THAT'S A JOKE.)

Nice game so far Calis. Perhaps someone would tell me I shouldn't say this, but I'd rather see you do really well here than withhold information from you. I'd actually like to see you top my Deity milk-run.

I would not be very honest if I told you that I am not planning to top your deity milk-run ;)

I *strongly* recommend researching here. DWetzel's correct in pointing out that high luxury/high science isn't great. However, the alternative I don't think quite as good in this sort of game. If you go with slower research, for quite a while you'll have knights and trebuchets (given the resources) against pikes. Of course, you know how to do that, but it's just about normal warfare and pace. Of course, this only happens on the condition that you have the resources also.

If on the other hand you research and try to get to Military Tradition more-or-less as soon as you can, then you have cavalry and cavalry armies. If you lack iron or can't pick it up, you don't have to worry as much, since you might have saltpeter or can pick it up. I feel very sure from my own Deity game and what I recall of reading Moonsinger's and Sir Pleb's games, as well as Tone's Deity game, that getting cavalry armies *very much* picked up the pace towards getting to the domination limit. With your position here that seems even more likely the case than in my game or those other games, since you're in a corner and basically all units have quite a bit of territory to cover before they can get in on the action, and that'll last for quite a while in the game. So, there's no question in my mind... getting to Military Tradition as soon as you can will pay off whatever disadvantages it might cause temporarily many times over. Especially for a player of your experience and caliber.

I am planning that way actually. It fits into my plans really well, actually. But currently my research rate is quite bad. I could research at 70% without adjusting the lux slider. At that rate I would research Engineering in 22 turns. :( And as I am still expanding, my towns are very small. As soon as I switch to military production they will grow and with my GA starting as soon as the war against Germany starts, I should be able to research faster.

I think I will be able to take out the Germans with Mounted Warriors. They lack both iron AND horses. So even if they get Feudalism as their free tech on era change, I will just face archers and spears.

Please don't believe I want a justification in asking the following question. I don't mean to question your choices in your game. But, I didn't spot all too much of a pattern in the opponents you put up there. I couldn't tell if you selected them actually since you said 'probably', but if you did, why those opponents?

The main thing is that they should not have Alphabet. Next is either late, or crappy UUs. In case of Ottomans it could become dangerous. I just need to eliminate them before thay get their dreaded Sipahis.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much, Spoonwood!!

510BC update:

I am medieval now. Along with the Americans. So far I just self-researched Wrinting, CoL and Philosophy (then got Republic for free).

All remaining techs I traded with the AI. Finally I have chosen the Americans for their last AA tech, as they did not get a free MA tech.

I will start with Engineering at minimum:

I will speed it up, when I prepare for my way to be able to get my MWs to the front faster.

Here is an overview of my territory:

Currently I am almost exclusively bulding settlers and workers, which I occasinally cashrush to further speed up the expansion.

It is good that the Germans are isolated from the Ottomans and the Americans. They are somewhat backward (but provided me Map Making, which was excellent for trading with the other two) and still lack horses and iron! And they are still in Despotism, while the other two are in Monarchy.

The Zulu seem to be isolated on an island. They are really backward in tech.

The F11 screen also does not look too bad:

In the meantime the Ottomans completed The Hanging Gardens.

Regrettably I still did not find any of the missing four opponents, but I started building two galleys on the southern part of my territory, so I soon can start exploring there:

430BC:

The Ottomans are now in the MA and they got Feudalism as their free tech:

I decided to send a galley with a settler and a woker to that gem mountain. The worker will create a colony on the gems and then I will settle the hill next to it. In the town I will cash-rush a harbor:

In the meantime, Oil Springs is going to complete another harbor to complete the trading route:

370BC:

I spotted new borders:

These must be the Mongols.....

I honestly wouldn't even bother going for chivalry - I'd beeline mil trad. MW are better per shield than knights anyway, and the AI doesn't build all that many pikes (outside of cities, of course) You'll need some, yourself, of course, to defend the stacks.

Sure, you'll lose more MW on defense than you do knights, but not that much more.

I honestly wouldn't even bother going for chivalry - I'd beeline mil trad. MW are better per shield than knights anyway, and the AI doesn't build all that many pikes (outside of cities, of course) You'll need some, yourself, of course, to defend the stacks.

Sure, you'll lose more MW on defense than you do knights, but not that much more.

Interesting idea. I do have to beg to differ here though. In a game like this I'd take a knight army over a Mounted Warrior army any day. The knight army will last longer, and do veteran and elite MW's against muskets really work all that well? I'd doubt it. On top of this, it works as best to ensure that you get that leader ASAP. Knights work better for this.

well, that's true, but you can build 7 MW for 3 knights and chivalry requires 2 techs not on the way to cavs.

With Mil Trad and cav armies, you can basically conquer anything... though, of course, you have some time to go to get ships good enough to get your armies to other islands ;)

My plan here is to conquer Germany with Mounted Warriors, as they still do not have horese & iron. So that should work.

The Ottomans seem to be the powerhouse of this game. So I would very much prefer to attack them with cavs. But I am unable to say right now, how my economy will look during and after my GA. If I am able to, I will try to beeline to Military Tradition.

290BC

Some more information.

The Ottomans are now also in Republic, gaining them position 1 in GNP.

I settled Niagara Falls 2 and next turn I am going to rush the harbor:

In my core I changed city build from settlers to barracks and Mounted Warriors in preparation for the war against Germany, which is not too far away anymore.

Our borders are coming closer and closer:

250BC:

The gems are now online, allowing some more growth without adjustment of the lux slider:

And one of my curraghs meet an Aztec galley:

They are also rather backwards:

And obviously the Aztecs are at war with the Mongols. This Mongolian galley just sunk the Aztec galley. I think I am lucky that I met the Aztecs this turn...

The Ottomans are growing stronger:

Really good news in the interturn after 210BC:

I really hoped that the Germans would build it. As they had Map Making before everybody else, I was rather confident, but you never know for sure.

190BC:

I meet Russia:

And again we have a rather backward nation:

170BC:

The Americans complete The Great Wall. I just hoped that it would not be the Ottomans. So that's fine with me :)

130BC:

The Germans now are Medieval. Luckily they got Engineering as their free tech. In the meanwhile they have iron, so Feudalism would have been a desaster for me. But I have to attack sometime soon...

In the interturn, the Ottomans started on Leo's Workshop. That is the one wonder that I might have liked to build on my own. But maybe with a Golden Age, I will be able to. And the Americans are the first to research Literature. They started The Great Library. But that also might be usefull later for a jump into the IA.

70BC

The Germans start to move units towards my territory:

So far these are exclusively spears, ...

On the interturn I complete the Forbidden Palace:

50BC:
I feel not yet prepared for a war:

I'd prefer to have at least 30 Mounted Warriors before war, but we'll see...

10AD:

Just a short summary of the situation:

F3:

Here is the border region between the Germans and myself. It's getting tight now. I think the war will start within the next 5 turns or so:

F11 (doesn't look too bad):

So does the power graph:

I hope to find a little bit more time to play this game. Otherwise it could take me years :sad:

If I ever do one of these (I tried a demigod milkrun some time ago, but got mad at it and gave up), I'll almost certainly end up automating half my workers and just irrigating a bunch of cities...

Just to let you guys know. I gave this one up. Once I started war with Germany, only after a few battles I already was hit by lvl 1 war weariness. And with only one lux connected, at least I am not able to handle all that unhappyness and due to the unhappyness I will lose much score.

But I will start a new one. And I decided that Monarchy is my way to go.

In the last few months I played some other stuff, like StarCraft II and Mass Effect. but soon I will spend some more time with C3C I am sure.

I will look forward to following your next game.

I agree that Monarchy makes things much more comfortable at this level.

Top Bottom