1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Huge Deity milkrun

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Calis, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Repblic coupled with war happyness and a decent war weariness control. :p

2. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

That was my conclusion once I'd got into my Deity milk run but I really could find the motivation to get started again. I think that it was just one of those times that I was enjoying it so much that I just deceided to carry on despite the fact that the game was far less than optimal. I didn't do a great job of handling the WW.

Good luck with your next attempt, Calis. I'll be in the stalls with Bartleby!

3. Calis

Calis on time

Map Finder has been lanched to look for a new map.

It might take a while, but I did not give up my Deity milk run.

4. Calis

Calis on time

It seems that I found a new nice map.

4504 domination limit.

But I will play it a bit before I start a write up.

5. Calis

Calis on time

Bahhh, Pyramids have been built on a different continent :mad:

On to find a new map...

6. killercane

killercane Deity

Pyr on another continent is not bad as long as it is large and you can arrive there soon.

7. Calis

Calis on time

No, the Mids continent is tiny. And the one I am on is huge. Maybe even big enough for the dom limit :cry:

8. killercane

killercane Deity

Yep that sounds like a new map roll. Good luck!

9. Calis

Calis on time

I am constantly starting new maps. But either I am on a too small landmass, or the Pyramids are built on a different continent, or there are no horses nearby. This is very time consuming.

But in the meantime, I am working on the 1,00 in Machiavele, Pentathlon and Octathlon... (Sid and 20K are waiting - two nightmares for me)

10. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

It helps a little if you make sure that your neighbors have Masonry so they can actually start the Pyramids.

11. Calis

Calis on time

It looks, as if I found a great map now.

Played till about 250AD.

Will post some info here soon.

12. Calis

Calis on time

4000BC

huge, archipelago, wet, warm, 5 billion years, 60% water

8 opponents: Germany, Ottomans, Persia, Russia, Zulu, Aztecs, America, China

Domination limit: ~4477

starting location:

4000BC start.JPG

13. Calis

Calis on time

975BC

I have 19 cities, 30 workers, 3 settlers and some warriors to scout and as MP.

I already established a Monarchy after beelining to Philosophy, trading up to Polytheism and getting Monarchy as free tech. Got a 4 turn anarchy! :D

I have two 4-turn settler factories and two 2-turn worker pumps (Also to become settler factories later). All smaller towns are producing workers). One town started on the Forbidden Palace and the Palace pre-build in Tyendenaga is for the Statue of Zeus, as I have ivory not too far away (see picture below).

975BC core.JPG

Here you can see the ivory I already found and which will be connected soon. A bit farther to the south you can see dyes as a second lux and no opponent seems nearby. Furthermore there is a second source of iron in the south.

975BC resources.JPG

In F11 you can see that the Pyramids have been built in Berlin. At this point I did not know what to think of it as Germany seemed to be on a different continent, but I did not know enough about the land shape to stop playing here.

975BC F11.JPG

At this point I have met Germany, Ottomania and Russia. It seems that the nations on this map are wide spread. But that gives me a lot of room to expand. As the Germans already built the Pyramids, I expect them to become the powerhouse of this game. Which has the pyramids. Yeah, sure :rolleyes:

F4.JPG

score at that point: 603

Attached Files:

14. Calis

Calis on time

10AD

I have:

84 towns
    17 settlers
    110 workers (plus a few slaves)

Here is my military at this point:

10AD F3.JPG

And you know what? Look at this:

10AD huge continent.JPG

There is one huge landmass I am on. And I share it at least with Ottomans, Germany, Russia, America, Zulu (By now I already know that Persia shares an own continent with China and Aztecs have one for themselves)

Germany seemed so close. But the landway is once around the world. So I might not get there before the Industrial Age. :sad: But the Pyramids are on a huge landmass. That is great! :)

Germany had some towns established on that peninsula to my east. That was a great opportunity for a little war and to trigger my Golden Age:

10AD war.JPG

I immediately became number one in shield output. Which I used to build up my military quickly.

10AD F11.JPG

Within a few turns after this one, I had three 30 shield cities, two 15 shield cities and a number of 10 shield towns. In these I short rushed, so they also produced a MW every two turns. I was able to pump out 15+ Mounted Warriors every two turns.

And one more thing:

Several turns ago I recognized an unsettled incense down in the south. So I rushed a galley and put two settlers into it. The first one created a passage to enable the galley to pass through (otherwise it had to travel around the world). The second settler established a town right on the incense and I disbanded the worker and immediately rushed a harbor to connect it with my core.

10AD 3rd lux.JPG

Score at this point: 1818

15. Calis

Calis on time

210AD

I just used the disconnect & reconnect tactic that Spoonwood described in his Mayan Mayham thread. Before that I still missed Currency in the Ancient Age, while the other tribes already built Sistine (Germany!), Templar (Aztecs), SunTzu (Russia) and had Leo's and Copernicus under construction:

210AD F7.JPG

After the trades, I had this:

210AD F6.JPG

I did not trade for Education, as I thought, I might be able to get Artemis before that. But it also had been built in Berlin, so I don't know :dunno:

I immediately switched my biggest cities to markets to get my people excited.

Due to the trade I now had 6 luxes in total. Furthermore Germany paid me 219gpt.

By the way, I really wanted to build Leos, as I love cheaper upgrades. And grading up MW to cavs eventually gets really expensive. :)

210AD Leo.JPG

Here I am six turns away and hoped that no wonder cascade is going to happen. :please:

Since 10AD I had built up my military significantly:

210AD F3.JPG

I am even strong towards the Ottomans, my obvious first real target. Here is the choke to them, where I am gathering the main part of my troops. I planned to just swarm them. Some would say: To "Zerg" them :lmao:

210AD choke to ottos.JPG

Under Not Constantinople, there is a third iron source. I was not fast enough to settle there. But I was well prepared to quickly eliminate these two towns here in the pic:

210AD 3rd iron.JPG

Score here: 2326

Attached Files:

16. Calis

Calis on time

280AD

Here I am one turn away from Leo, which actually means I would get it. :woohoo:

As I now had Chivalry, I could not any longer build MWs. But as I had tons of money, I cash-short-rushed knights as well.

Here is my military:

280AD F3.JPG

The war with the Ottomans had begun.

The two towns in my south (with the iron underneath) were captured quickly:

280AD iron 3.JPG

On the front, I had captured two towns and destroyed a third one. One of them would become the base for my attacks and unit upgrades. So I rushed a barracks there.

Settlers started to enlarge my territory quicky:

280AD front.JPG

I lost some troops, but as I produced like hell I did not care much. The Ottomans were weak so I did not have to fear too many troops. the backside was the fact that they built The Great Wall. But to attack with care would slow down my advance. and that must not happen.

The Germans started building Johan Sebastian Bachs Cathedral. I would not mind having it on my landmass :).

By the way, The Great Wall was located in Izmit. Not too far away, so in the following turns I would focus on getting there!

280AD Izmit.JPG

Score at this point: 2611

17. Calis

Calis on time

360AD

In the meantime, I was rather lucky with MGLs. Got two already with about 10 elite victories. Thus I have two knight armies in the field:

360AD F3.jpg

The Germans completed JSB in Berlin, which makes the city even more valuable:

360AD F7.jpg

I just captured Izmit with the Great Wall in it:

360AD Great Wall.jpg

370AD

I completed Heroic Epic:

370AD HE.jpg

And a prebuild for the Pentagon is running already :).

Sleeping a night over things somethings makes up your mind.

I thought with that much money and high gpt, I should raise my lux slider to eliminate all unhappiness in my empire to get every bit in score. Thus, I increased it to 70% (still getting ~300gpt).

Furthermore I changed all wealth production back to workers/settlers.

18. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Nice going, reading this makes me crave playing again.

19. Calis

Calis on time

Then I reached my goal I think, :)

20. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

That is a very nice map, what with most of the continents connected. I think however that you placed far too few AI civs. You are quite powerful, what you are lacking is people to unleash this power on. OK, there are the Ottomans, but it took you until 280AD(?) to actually start warring them. I think you should've started warring in 1000BC or earlier. :p Don't forget, the AI can actually help you to fill up and improve the land, help you get ahead in the tech tree, help you with happyness if you can manage to engineer phony wars and so on.