A new SG for the unbeliever -> Me :) Goz1 in CIV5

And also, is everyone happy with Songhai? I don't want to force a civ on you, if you don't like it, but imo Askia is a strong leader and versatile. Not the best, but a good starter and rarely pennyless.

We are 5 in the team now, I will max it to 7, if a couple of Optional's friends turns up and anyone after that can be benchwarmers. There's always work/school and family and other stuff, that makes it hard for a player to fulfill his/her turns.

I vote for quick combat, but I can always force it on my game. I just played an Askia game, because I realized I never got the achievement (lame reason, but good as any). I played out the worst map I ever got in civ5 with him though, so I'm definitely up for a chance to play Askia on a better map.

Pff... I have a real problem connecting to the Civfanatics server at the moment, that worries me most. I assume we all have this?

I have no opinion on quick combat on or off. A win condition we haven't talked about yet, I've got this gut feeling we've got Domination on our minds, but there are of course other.
Seeing about everybody who mentioned a difficulty level mentioned Immortal as something that's in their street, I don't think it's wise to go below that. My guess is Immortal will still be easy for us. Players up their game a bit in SG's, has probably something to do with the requirement to make notes and screenshots, so it's never really casual.

Wonder why I didn't see this earlier?

Do you guys want/need another player? I'm pretty busy, but I can probably make time for this in most situations.

Hi. Very nice to see a new SG going up. I could join but I think with Sparthage you have 6 already, not sure if you want 7 really. That being said I am going to lurk and can step in if somebody drops out for any reason. Have fun!

Also I would say from the last one, it is easier to play optimally when you have team mates discussing things and you are playing in small chunks so you make sure all of those deals are done on time etc. So King might really be too easy, even if some players are very new. Depends on start and stuff of course.

I definitely think King would be too easy and Immortal would be a good challenge. The only way Immortal might be a problem is if we get unlucky and get surrounded by Oda, Monty, and Alex or something similar. Nothing like getting 3 DoWs on turn 50 :cry:.

As far as exploits, I prefer to avoid most of the more severe. Stealing a worker isn't too bad and there is nothing wrong with selling stuff to the AI (it is pretty necessary on higher levels). Intentionally reneging on the terms of a deal isn't very fun though. If we wanted to have a real challenge we could play Civ 4 rules and only allow us to trade resources and open borders for GPT rather than upfront gold :lol:. Also, some of the gold exploits are highly level-dependent. I found on King or even Emperor I often had to loan the AI gold in order to sign RAs and they usually didn't accrue the massive treasuries they do on Immortal or especially Deity. That reminded me of another potential exploit: the AI's tendency to totally capitulate when they are defeated in war. Will we accept a deal where the AI wants to give us 10000 gold and all of his cities for a 10 turn peace? It might be best to handle this on a case by case basis and just decide what seems the most fun at the time.

I don't mind Askia or quick combat, either. I doubt many people will object to Askia as he is a pretty strong versatile leader without being too strong.

Man, the servers took a beating yesterday.

I'm cool with whatever level you guys want to play. It's up to Gozpel, right? If he's got a map maybe we should give it a shot? True the gold exploits are better on Immortal. Since we're discussing some personal rules of thumb, here's my 2 cents:

DoF's: Don't usually accept them or ask for them unless it's Immortal or above, and in that case I only do it to chill a neighbor who would otherwise declare while I'm trying to expand. They're more trouble than they're worth imo.

Capitulation: I don't like capitulated cities either. I prefer whatever gold & GPT we could get. Exception is if we intend to sell the cities immediately. Those things are grossly over-populated and the city tile bug makes them even more worthless and weak.

VC: I'm ok with whatever type of game you all want to play (did I say that once already:D).

Hello Sparthage & Brichals! Pleasantly surprised to see interest in a SG game again. I actually registered on the forum to improve my game through the HoF training games and some SG games... then the whole thread died. Hopefully it will pick up again when the expansion comes out.

On the exploits the only one I consider a no no is the resource pillaging and reselling.

On settings I'd go with quick combat as it gets really tedious.

I would say King will be far to easy for an SG. I play Emperor and would consider Immortal as not being to bad for an SG. SG play usually encourages much tighter play due to the short sets and group discussion.

As for things like DoF and Annex etc that should be decided as and when and not set in stone at this point!

Hey guys, wanted to come by and say thanks for the invite. I'll have to pass but I'll definitely sink into lurker mode and enjoy the ride. I haven't played the game in 2 months roughly so I'd not want to shake the rust off in here. I may fire it up to get sharp for the expansion though woohoo! Best of luck on this and can't wait to see the story unfold.

Ok, first in as required should be the rule. but since I'm the captain of this game, I choose grandad, he was exclusively asked for, so old grunt, you're in. :)

Sparthage and Brichals and CornMaster: You are benchwarmers! Are you ok to step in if we lose a player?

Hey guys, wanted to come by and say thanks for the invite. I'll have to pass but I'll definitely sink into lurker mode and enjoy the ride. I haven't played the game in 2 months roughly so I'd not want to shake the rust off in here. I may fire it up to get sharp for the expansion though woohoo! Best of luck on this and can't wait to see the story unfold.

Thanks Emstinson, just give us some advice as we try to avoid FAIL, please. :)

Roster so far:

gozpel
Optional
NotSure
apocalypse
jeffahh
grandad

6 players, do we want another one? We have 3 reserves already.

Ok, I'm trying to summarize what we gathered so far:

OK, 1 worker steal from CS or other Civ. Only one!
No trading before war.
DoF: ?
No selling and pillage exploit!
No one way open border deals! It stinks.

Please tell me what I missed, I'm drunk as a skunk.:) I wan't this post to be our lead.

I see, rebellion already before we started the game.

So you want to send me into Immortal lands?

YOU BUGGERS, I'm the teamleader so forth we go and find out what's going on in Immortal lands.

YOU BLUDGERS, I'll be back one day with maps. - tomorrow. :)

You pushed my game towards my uncomfortable zone, but I follow the consensus..and it's defineteley Immortal now. Why did I even start this, I'm not half as good as you guys?

Bugger it, get to the grindstone and grin.

So this game will now be on Immortal, still with Askia and still Fractal. OK?

Anything else you want to change?

I choose grandad, he was exclusively asked for, so old grunt, you're in. :)
To avoid any suggestion that some people get VIP treatment; I sent a note to all players that were in the previous SG from start to finish. Grandad got exactly the same note as Emstinson and Brichals and also at the same time. I feel it's important to say this; there's no stuff going on under the table.
Sparthage and Brichals reported here a bit earlier than Grandad, but maybe rather with a "do you still need a player, maybe I can make myself free" instead of a more adamant "put me in, please", so I think that's what swung the decision?

Maybe the amount of available players now will discourage more people from expressing their interest, but it's likely more people will come along. We could keep the possibility open to start two SG's. Not with just two reserves, but if there are 10 or more in total interested it's better to do that. I don't really believe in a 'benchwarmer' system, to be honest, it's not nice for the spare players, but also the people on the roster could feel less commited this way, and be more inclined to step aside at the slightest whatever.

If at the moment the roster is kinda large, I suggest relatively short turnsets, maybe even just 10 for the first round even. Otherwise the game might be halfway already when the last player on the roster gets a turn.

In the name of fairness and so that people won't get angry with me I will give my place up to anyone who posted before me if they want it. They're all great guys so it would be a good trade all round.

If I get to stay on the roster then I'm happy with Fractal, Askia and Immortal (It will be nice to be pushed a little bit!). What of the other settings? Small or standard world size? I assume standard speed. I would vote of quick combat as well.

As I said before when it comes to DoF or Denouncing etc it should be decided on a case by case basis by the team in discusion. I'm also not sure why one way open borders is a bad thing. The higher the difficulty the more these kind of things are needed to level the playing field! Some times I'm sure I've been DoWed just because an AI has wanted to pass through my lands....

We can still make 2 4-player teams, if we just wanna play!

2 teams, we can fill them up right now!

Crap, I'm too drunk for this tonight, but pls think about this plan, then maybe everybody can play.

Over and down!

Top Bottom