1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about making a custom scenario

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Handel, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Handel

Handel Prince

I have an old save game which has huts. After a lot of time I decided to replay with disabled huts. So I loaded the game, opened the world editor and saved it with the editor save option. Then started custom scenario game and turned off the huts... only to find out the huts were still there when the actual game started.
    Please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to remove those huts (and possibly changing another options too).

2. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

You can open the scenario as a World Builder save in a text editor and use Ctrl + F to find and remove all of the hut features from map squares.

In some of the old Noble's Club games there's step-by-step instructions, or someone else can post them.

3. Handel

Handel Prince

Yup, I know those instructions. But I hoped the custom scenario was offering a lazy way to do this and I just was doing some mistake:(

4. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Like it or not, that's the only way to change the game options (as far as I know) after creating the game in Custom Game.
    First create a WorldbuilderSave file by, as the name would suggest, saving while in worldbuilder. Then, if your computer uses Windows (or I assume that's the requirement) go to \\archive\users\*your username here*\home\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps (at least, that's how its set up on my computer) and it should be there.
    You could edit it with notepad and add in "Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_GOODY_HUTS" between the "calendar=" line and the "victory=" lines, up near the top. Although, I believe that's only a game option in BTS.
    If you wanted to completely restart the map without huts, then you'll need to copy and paste all the data to another notepad or notepad++ file, change the number of turns and techs to their original state:

Era=ERA_ANCIENT
    Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
    GameTurn=0
    StartYear=-4000

You may also need to go through the plot data to find any plots that include having a city built on it and delete them.
    Although, you should probably not listen to me, because I can't get my own scenarios to work, but that is how you can edit your maps.

5. Handel

Handel Prince

Grrrr.... Besides changing the option in the "custom scenario" this string must be deleted from the scenario text file:
    ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT
    Probably it's better to delete it without leaving empty places instead (don't really know).
    But now everything seems fine.

6. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Emperor

Unfortunately huts is an option determined at map creation (like sea level, climate etc.) as it pertains to an actual map rather then something (like vassal states) that is not ingrained in the save.
    Options like vassals can be edited without going into the text editer - just go into custom scenarios and change the options.

7. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Personally I think going into WorldBuilder to remove each individual hut would be actually easier than the whole text editor thing. :p

8. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Before making the game, in the settings tab you can click no tribal villages so that you won't see any huts and have to do all the physical work of taking the tribal villages off by hand.

9. Handel

Handel Prince

Not through the custom scenario. I just wanted to replay an old game from the beginning w/o huts this time.
    As for the editing the huts out - with any text editor which have "find and replace" command it takes just a second.
    And no - huts are not integral part of the map - they are "improvements" so a *find and replace all* strings "ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_GOODY_HUT" leaves just a virgin map.